Bradley's Latest Altercation: Umps to Blame? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Bradley's Latest Altercation: Umps to Blame?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Bradley's Latest Altercation: Umps to Blame?

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:23 pm

acsguitar wrote:ha...Bradley was running has mouth all game just like he does every game. The guy has major anger management problems.

Even if the ump did say something to him Bradley probably deserved it for being a little baby his entire career.

Good lord... Are you sure you're not a Yankees or a BoSox fan, 'cause that's one of the most homerific posts I've ever read.

:-P
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:27 pm

Bwanna wrote:http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/pa ... adres.html

If Winters in fact did call Bradley "a (expletive) piece of (expletive)"... man o man... he should be hammered very hard with some type of punishment.

Completely agree, but I think that he should be out-and-out fired. Umps rely too much on credibility. If even one sentence in there is true, then his credibility is toast and he's now worthless as far as the MLB is concerned.

:-t

Asked whether what Winters said had racial overtones, Meacham, who, like Bradley, is black, replied, “It smacked of that tone.”

Annnnd... This is officially a circus. Where's Jesse? Al? :-/
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 10)
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Bwanna » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:58 pm

StlSluggers wrote:
Bwanna wrote:http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/pa ... adres.html

If Winters in fact did call Bradley "a (expletive) piece of (expletive)"... man o man... he should be hammered very hard with some type of punishment.

Completely agree, but I think that he should be out-and-out fired. Umps rely too much on credibility. If even one sentence in there is true, then his credibility is toast and he's now worthless as far as the MLB is concerned.

:-t

Yup, I agree. He should be fired if any of that exchange was factual.
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st]
123Innings '08 [1st/1st], '09 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/4th], '12 [4th/2nd]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Cool 3.0 '08 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 274)

Postby Melo255 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:26 pm

I can't believe how many people are defending Bradley's actions. It's the umpires fault that Bradley can't control himself? He is a grown man. He got a call he didn't agree with. So what, it happens all the time to everyone. With all the crap umpires take every game from fans and players and all the horrible language they get from them I don't see how the umpire responding in kind to what Bradley was very likely saying to him is such a big deal. Fine the ump and leave it at that.

Also, what about when an umpire and a manager get into it after a manager has been tossed? Have you not lipread the ridiculous amounts of F-bombs and such that both sides are firing? No one calls for an ump to be fired then. Bradley argues with the ump for an extended period of time and then totally loses it when the umpire responds with vigor. I'm on the umpires side here totally. If Bradley had simply complained after the game I'd listen but having to be physically restrained from attacking someone? Just grow up.

Flame away if you disagree. Unlike Mr. Bradley I can take it and won't come after you.
Melo255
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:43 pm

Melo255 wrote:I can't believe how many people are defending Bradley's actions. It's the umpires fault that Bradley can't control himself? He is a grown man. He got a call he didn't agree with. So what, it happens all the time to everyone. With all the crap umpires take every game from fans and players and all the horrible language they get from them I don't see how the umpire responding in kind to what Bradley was very likely saying to him is such a big deal. Fine the ump and leave it at that.

Also, what about when an umpire and a manager get into it after a manager has been tossed? Have you not lipread the ridiculous amounts of F-bombs and such that both sides are firing? No one calls for an ump to be fired then. Bradley argues with the ump for an extended period of time and then totally loses it when the umpire responds with vigor. I'm on the umpires side here totally. If Bradley had simply complained after the game I'd listen but having to be physically restrained from attacking someone? Just grow up.

Flame away if you disagree. Unlike Mr. Bradley I can take it and won't come after you.

Everyone in baseball knows that Bradley is a ticking time bomb. The first base ump was not even involved in the play and I'm sure Bradley did not start complaining to him (why would he?). So clearly it was the ump who initiated and provoked the player into losing his temper. The problem is, I've seen a lot of umps initiate and provoke players into full on fights (since the Robbie Alomar incident) . Umps need to be put in their place. Fans do not come to see them call the game. They are only there thanks to the players.
Last edited by Yoda on Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby pasterofmuppets » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:49 pm

Melo255 wrote:I can't believe how many people are defending Bradley's actions. It's the umpires fault that Bradley can't control himself? He is a grown man. He got a call he didn't agree with. So what, it happens all the time to everyone. With all the crap umpires take every game from fans and players and all the horrible language they get from them I don't see how the umpire responding in kind to what Bradley was very likely saying to him is such a big deal. Fine the ump and leave it at that.

Nobody's defending Bradley. He has always been a hothead, and he needs better self-control. No, it's not the ump's fault that he can't control himself (thats his personality and is no one's fault but his own). If all the alleged information is true, it is the ump's fault that Bradley reacted the way he did. The first base coach turned towards the ump even before Bradley approached him. And Bradley even had the foresight to call time, touch first then approach the ump... not really something a guy flying off the handle would do.
Sure, umps get into it with managers all the time. Biggest difference? The manager's been tossed already... maybe they're just getting their money's worth, whatever. In this instance, the ump was doing all the jawing BEFORE Bradley was tossed. And I don't think he was being restrained from attacking the ump... more like pushing him away and trying not to escalate the issue.
pasterofmuppets
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:15 pm

He blew out his ACL when his manager had to restrain him from attacking an umpire?!?! Are you kidding me. What justifies attacking an ump?

On a side note the team should fine MB for being out of shape. If you have seen the video you would have seen how little it took to blow out his fat knee. This tub-o-lard is a pro athlete? Time to hang em up Milton and give Vince McMahon a call.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 283)

Postby Bwanna » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:04 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:He blew out his ACL when his manager had to restrain him from attacking an umpire?!?! Are you kidding me. What justifies attacking an ump?

On a side note the team should fine MB for being out of shape. If you have seen the video you would have seen how little it took to blow out his fat knee. This tub-o-lard is a pro athlete? Time to hang em up Milton and give Vince McMahon a call.

Nothing justifies attacking an ump. Bradley claims he wasn't attacking him -- check the post-game interview. Who knows if it is true, but my guess is he was doing exactly what managers do when they want to be heard by an ump -- they yell as loud as they can and as close as they can to the face of the ump without touching him. Is that an attack? Nope. I also give credit for Milt calling time, touching the bag, and then speaking to the ump.

And, nothing justifies an ump initiating and personally insulting any player (regardless of their history).

In fact, nothing justifies an ump baiting a player by initiating an antagonistic conversation with him while the game is in progress -- I don't care WHAT is said... the ump should shut up and do his job, or call time and speak to the player if he feels it is necessary.

So, give me a freakin break with Milt's history. Look at this single incident at face value.
[reg season/playoffs]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Cool 3.0 '08 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Bwanna » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:12 pm

I'm assuming that if an ump called you as a player (at any level) a f*ing piece of s**t while your back was turned to him watching the game, you'd say to yourself... "You know he's right, I really am a f*ing piece of s**t, and I feel really bad about my past, and I deserve that. I should thank him later for putting me in my place by insulting me."
[reg season/playoffs]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Cool 3.0 '08 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:17 pm

Bwanna wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:He blew out his ACL when his manager had to restrain him from attacking an umpire?!?! Are you kidding me. What justifies attacking an ump?

Nothing justifies attacking an ump. Bradley claims he wasn't attacking him -- check the post-game interview. Who knows if it is true, but my guess is he was doing exactly what managers do when they want to be heard by an ump -- they yell as loud as they can and as close as they can to the face of the ump without touching him. Is that an attack? Nope. I also give credit for Milt calling time, touching the bag, and then speaking to the ump.

And, nothing justifies an ump initiating and personally insulting any player (regardless of their history).

In fact, nothing justifies an ump baiting a player by initiating an antagonistic conversation with him while the game is in progress -- I don't care WHAT is said... the ump should shut up and do his job, or call time and speak to the player if he feels it is necessary.

So, give me a freakin break with Milt's history. Look at this single incident at face value.

I never said anything about Milt's history. The truth is that he was hurt by his manager trying to restrain him. I don't know whether the manager thought that he was trying to attack the ump but he thought that it was important enough to restrain him. If the manager thought that Milt wanted a polite conversation he would not have wrecked his knee trying to hold him back.

I also saw the video several times and Milt blew a freakin gasket. It looked like he was trying to attack the ump. Milt needed to be restrained. If he did that at a college rally he would have been tasered.

I agree that umps are puffed up popinjays and think way too much about themselves and should shut up. I also think that Milt lost it, acted inappropriately and it's pretty funny that the fat out of shape slob tore his ACL this way.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 283)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers