Bradley's Latest Altercation: Umps to Blame? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Bradley's Latest Altercation: Umps to Blame?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Bradley's Latest Altercation: Umps to Blame?

Postby Bwanna » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:08 pm

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/pa ... adres.html

If Winters in fact did call Bradley "a (expletive) piece of (expletive)"... man o man... he should be hammered very hard with some type of punishment. Helton as a 3rd witness should be an objective witness.
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st], '13, [1st/2nd], '14, [1st/1st]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 247)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:29 pm

ha...Bradley was running has mouth all game just like he does every game. The guy has major anger management problems.

Even if the ump did say something to him Bradley probably deserved it for being a little baby his entire career.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Bwanna » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:09 pm

acsguitar wrote:ha...Bradley was running has mouth all game just like he does every game. The guy has major anger management problems.

Even if the ump did say something to him Bradley probably deserved it for being a little baby his entire career.

I don't doubt that Bradley has always had issues and should have restrained himself, but no one *deserves* being called that by an official.
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st], '13, [1st/2nd], '14, [1st/1st]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 247)

Postby Yoda » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:33 pm

It's very clear that Winters (first base ump) said something really bad for Meacham to start walking towards him right afterwards. That ump should be suspended without pay and maybe not allowed to officiate another MLB game. An umpire's job is to make calls and keep the game under control. This guy clearly had something out for Bradley and wanted to provoke him into doing something like Bradley did. What a disgrace. :-t

The biggest problem that I have with this incident is that an umpire is supposed to be unbiased. They make calls that can be crucial to the outcome of the game and when a loose canon like Winters who gets personal and goes around challenging players in that manner, then how can he possibly stay unbiased?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Madison » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:10 pm

Yoda wrote:An umpire's job is to make calls and keep the game under control.

And that would include shutting up a player who's whining and moaning about something long over with. ;-)

I haven't studied it and don't care to. Bradley's history is enough for me to just sit back and ignore it. If the ump was in the wrong, MLB will take care of it. If Bradley was in the wrong, I'd say he's probably suffered enough (injury). Darn shame the boy couldn't diffuse it without going off the handle though, regardless of who's fault it was. He'd still be healthy and playing if he'd just use his head and not throw temper tantrums.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Yoda » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:20 pm

Madison wrote:

And that would include shutting up a player who's whining and moaning about something long over with. ;-)

I haven't studied it and don't care to. Bradley's history is enough for me to just sit back and ignore it. If the ump was in the wrong, MLB will take care of it. If Bradley was in the wrong, I'd say he's probably suffered enough (injury). Darn shame the boy couldn't diffuse it without going off the handle though, regardless of who's fault it was. He'd still be healthy and playing if he'd just use his head and not throw temper tantrums.

So essentially you are judging a person based on his history and not by what actually happened? That's really fair.

If the ump really said those things to him (according to a 3rd party observer: Meachem) then he made personal attacks at Bradley who is known for his blow ups. I'm not necessarily defending Bradley but if nothing happens to the ump, then this will set a precedence. These guys are supposed to be unbiased but how can you possibly stay unbiased when you are resorting to personal attacks with players?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Madison » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:40 pm

Yoda wrote:
Madison wrote:

So essentially you are judging a person based on his history and not by what actually happened? That's really fair.

Where did I say who's fault it was? What did I say that was unfair? That I don't care to investigate it because I don't care for Bradley's past? Or the simple fact that a grown adult doesn't need to resort to a temper tantrum and trying to get physical in order to solve problems? Fact of the matter is he looks like a spoiled child from what I saw. Grown adults do not need to act the way he did over words. Anyway I don't see how I'm being unfair to anyone and I didn't say anything that was unfair.... :-?

EDIT: By the way, I defended Bradley in the water bottle situation. I don't hate the guy or anything, but his acting like a spoiled child with no upbringing is way old news. You'd think eventually he'd grow up.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:44 pm

oh hell yeah we're judging him based on his track record (well, i am :-D ). it's his problem that he goes crazy over stupid things, he totally deserved this injury and i'm glad he's out for the year and more!

edit: lol, i just remembered my avatar is actually milton bradley when he was a dodger! :-b
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Yoda » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:51 pm

Madison wrote:

I haven't studied it and don't care to. Bradley's history is enough for me to just sit back and ignore it.

This is the post that led me to believe that you were judging the situation by Bradley's long list of mishaps. Anyway, if you are not simply judging him by his history like a lot of the Bradley bashers are doing in this thread then I apologize.

Also, don't they have a microphone at first base? If so, then they should have the conversation verbatim somewhere.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby nsulham » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:10 pm

Bwanna wrote: Helton as a 3rd witness should be an objective witness.

Good luck with getting Helton to talk. He is in one tough position here.

If Winters did in fact say something to Bradley, Helton should do the upfront and right thing and say so. In doing so, however, he is essentially narcing on Winters and may be looked upon differently by the umpires, i.e. maybe not getting some close calls at the bag or at the plate. Tough spot for the guy.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers