Web Design Help? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Web Design Help?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Web Design Help?

Postby luckygehrig » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:53 am

My girlfriend's mom just opened up a new yoga studio and I told her that I could make her a pretty basic page. I took a web design class in High School and we used Dreamweaver in there. She really just wants a simple page that gives basic info like her schedule and classes offered and a way to email her. She also wants to get her own domain name and get some hosting somewhere without ads. My questions basically boil down to, Will my rusty knowledge of Dreamweaver be enough to get this done? And does anyone have suggestions for reliable and cheap hosting? I've checked out a couple places like Godaddy.com and avahost.net. Both of them look pretty cheap and that they will be able to handle what she wants. Anybody have any info on either? Is one better than the other? Thanks for any help!

EDIT: Also, is Dreamweaver even necessary for this? Both of the sites say they have a free online editing tool. Will that be sufficient?
luckygehrig
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Web Design Help?

Postby Tavish » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:15 pm

Usually GoDaddy offers a good deal if you are getting their DNS service to go along with the web hosting package. You can basically use any editor you want for a basic page like that. Grab a template, fill it out and your done. Just be sure to charge $75 an hour for your services.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:29 pm

I use Dreamweaver a bit, but I use this open-source web editor called Nvu. You can manipulate a few things easier with Nvu than with Dreamweaver and if all you need is a fairly simple site, I recommend it.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby Tavish » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:50 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:I use Dreamweaver a bit, but I use this open-source web editor called Nvu. You can manipulate a few things easier with Nvu than with Dreamweaver and if all you need is a fairly simple site, I recommend it.

Nvu is great, especially for pure template websites. Much like any other WYSIWYG editor it is pretty clunky when it comes to CSS, but for basic layouts I would definitely recommend it as well.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby luckygehrig » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:08 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. Definitely appreciate it. ;-D
luckygehrig
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to General Talk