What is Joba's role in '08 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What is Joba's role in '08

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What is Joba's role in '08

Postby rib217 » Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:42 pm

Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere, if so attach a link and shut this baby down.

I'm just curious what Joba's role with the Yankees will be next season? Is he looking to move to a starter next year or stay in the bullpen? Do the Yankees want him as closer eventually or in the starting rotation?

Hughes, Joba, and Kennedy would be some nice picks next season don't you think?
rib217
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: What is Joba's role in '08

Postby Grounded Polo » Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:50 pm

Every word said on the YES Network has been Joba to the rotation. The Yankees can just go with a 6 man rotation like they've been trying a bit recently until one of their starters gets hurt or proves ineffective, regardless of whether or not it seems unfathomable for the Yankees to have so much inexperience in their rotation.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby noseeum » Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:09 am

Grounded Polo wrote:Every word said on the YES Network has been Joba to the rotation. The Yankees can just go with a 6 man rotation like they've been trying a bit recently until one of their starters gets hurt or proves ineffective, regardless of whether or not it seems unfathomable for the Yankees to have so much inexperience in their rotation.

I agree it does seem unfathomable, but then again, there's not much out there. The free agent pickings are pretty slim. Maybe they trade one of these guys for Santana. More than that, of course, but you get the idea.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Grounded Polo » Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:29 am

They wouldn't deal any of them for Santana, they'll probably get him in 2009 instead, when Pettite and Mussina are gone.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby rib217 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:44 am

Well how good of a rotation are you guys thinking Kennedy, Hughes, and Joba would be?

I guess you have Wang, Pettite, and Mussina as well then?
rib217
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 8)

Postby Grounded Polo » Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:49 am

It's a complete question mark because Hughes does not have his great stuff right now, Joba's been relieving, and Kennedy has only made a few starts. It's impossible to predict it until Spring Training, when we see if Hughes can get his stuff back and Joba settles in as a big league starter.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Surfs up » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:55 am

Yup agree. To much speculation right now. The FA pitching is weak this year and so many things can change during the off season. Way to early . But my guess is Chamberlain is back in the bullpen to start the season.Just a hunch.Mainly because of how successful it worked out this year.
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 199)

Postby sandman042 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:21 am

Joba chamberlin WILL be in the rotation in 08... torre said it,cashman said it. the only question is his inng limit for next yr... i doubt joba can go 190-200+ inngs next yr.. maybe 160-170 but him gouing to the pen at end of yr is a possiblitly to save his arm but who knows we just gotta wait till next yr... b/c alot can happen before spring training.
sandman042
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby noseeum » Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:40 pm

If they keep them all, I'd say at least one of them has to be in the pen. Mussina, Pettite, and Wang are in the rotation, assuming Mussina rights himself, which it already seems he has. And assuming Pettite plays, but my guess is he does.

So that really only leaves two of them. I could see Kennedy being their long reliever, waiting for a spot to open up due to injury.

RE Santana, my guess is whoever wants him is going to have to get him this offseason.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Noggy » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:22 am

sandman042 wrote:Joba chamberlin WILL be in the rotation in 08... torre said it,cashman said it. the only question is his inng limit for next yr... i doubt joba can go 190-200+ inngs next yr.. maybe 160-170 but him gouing to the pen at end of yr is a possiblitly to save his arm but who knows we just gotta wait till next yr... b/c alot can happen before spring training.

That's all true. Like Surfs up alluded to, I could also see the Yankees taking the Liriano approach. Having Joba start next year in the bullpen and ease him into the rotation a few months into the season. I doubt Hughes will be ready for 200 innings next year either, so I think it would make sense to save Chamberlain's innings for the end of the season since Hughes could very well be shifted to the bullpen and somebody has to start games in September/October.

I disagree with noseeum about Kennedy. I think he'll be in the rotation all of next season (assuming he pitches well of course). Kennedy's thrown about 170 innings this year, so between him, Hughes and Chamberlain, Kennedy is the only one who could handle a full season's worth of innings.

That's my best guess for this situation assuming the Yankees stick with their internal options.
Noggy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers