Recession? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Recession?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Do you see the U.S. in recession by the end of 2008?

Poll ended at Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:30 pm

Yes.
64%
No.
29%
Maybe.
7%

Total votes : 14

Recession?

Postby bleach168 » Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:30 pm

Some people think we're fine. Others think we're headed towards recession.

Before this gets political let me say that I don't believe it is the president's fault. Presidents just don't have the type of impact on our economy they like to pretend to have.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Recession?

Postby Madison » Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:54 pm

Some people think we're already there. I don't think we've seen anything yet :-o . Going to get much worse I do believe.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Snakes Gould » Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:11 pm

how can we not with what we've spent in iraq and possibly iran soon.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Coppermine » Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:09 am

Oh, there's no doubt we're heading toward it; which is why The Fed lowered interest rates a half a point. HUGE boost to the economy. Stock sales and home mortgages are up, but of course, to a hit against savings and loan. There will be recession, and I voted maybe on this but I think we can count on it happening before the end of '08. In other words... buy, buy, buy. Because, like all things, it will go up again.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby JTWood » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:47 pm

It's an inevitability that any boom period must be followed by a bust period. It's the nature of economics, and it's what separates the efficient companies from the inefficient companies. The move by the Fed only delays the inevitable. I think it's the duty of our leaders to accept it's coming instead of fighting it. Preparation will help mitigate the negative impact, but denial will inflate it.

ps - I think I just set the record for most uses of the contraction "it's" in a 5-sentence paragraph. :-b
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby CheeseBeger » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:41 am

Keep in mind that recessions are not necessarily a bad thing, they are just part of the normal economic/business cycle. The job of the Fed is not to prevent recessions, but to control inflation. The biggest problem could be if the Fed continues to "bail out" investors, because when investors come to expect to be bailed out, they take more and more risks which will just worsen the situation by creating a much more disastrous recession down the road.
2010 H2HWS Champion - Cleveland Clams
CheeseBeger
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Yoda » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:51 pm

All the debt accumulated the last 10 years and people using their homes as piggy banks will come back to haunt. We are not even close to a recession yet but headed towards it.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby AcidRock23 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:52 pm

I am inclined to agree that something bad will be happening. There is kind of a 'perfect storm' w/ cooked numbers all over the place (e.g. leaving fuel out of calculations of the rate of inflation...), the Chinese buying bonds w/ their spare cash and having long-term political goals involving Taiwan still lurking out there, aging boomers hitting retirement at the same time that the health care system is in need of revamping and prioritization that are challenging to manage with what has become a political 'hot potato'....
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:06 pm

AcidRock23 wrote:I am inclined to agree that something bad will be happening. There is kind of a 'perfect storm' w/ cooked numbers all over the place (e.g. leaving fuel out of calculations of the rate of inflation...), the Chinese buying bonds w/ their spare cash and having long-term political goals involving Taiwan still lurking out there, aging boomers hitting retirement at the same time that the health care system is in need of revamping and prioritization that are challenging to manage with what has become a political 'hot potato'....

All good points. True inflation is MUCH higher than what is being reported. True unemployment is MUCH higher than what is being reported. Average income is declining for the first time in modern history at the same time that debt to income is at its highest point in history as well. All the while we have our leaders pushing us to borrow more! China and Japan now own nearly 50% of our Treasury bonds. Healthcare costs are through the roof at the same time that the first wave of the Baby Boom generation is hitting retirement age. There is a large segment of our population that are still tied to ARM and balloon loans on their houses, so there is a huge likelyhood that we will be seeing mass foreclosures within the next 5 yrs. I could go on, but the perfect storm analogy is a good one.

The question asked is if we expect to see a recession next yr. I think the real question is how do we prepare for the coming DEPRESSION?
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:52 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:The question asked is if we expect to see a recession next yr. I think the real question is how do we prepare for the coming DEPRESSION?

I think the difference between recession and depression is entirely in the hands of our government, and that's not very encouraging.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 10)
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Next

Return to General Talk