Stock question- possible strategy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Stock question- possible strategy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Stock question- possible strategy

Postby AEMRICH » Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:11 pm

Hey guys i've got a question involving stocks. My first question is when you short a stock do you still get the dividend? Say you find a stock that has a 14% dividend, if you were to buy 500 shares of this stock and then short 500 shares of this stock (at the same price) for a year this would neutralize any gains and loses yes? but you would still be getting 14% gain on 1000 shares of this stock minus your transaction fees. 14% is almost 3x more than any CD is offering. Is there a flaw in my thinking??
College Tuition: $12,000
Room & Board: $5,600
Books: $500
Food Plan: $2000
Not going to college and living with your parents: Priceless
AEMRICH
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 13)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Stock question- possible strategy

Postby bleach168 » Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:23 pm

The idea behind shorting a stock is you borrow someone else's shares to sell right away with a promise to return those shares when you are done shorting. Since you never really have possession of the stock, you will not receive any dividends.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby AEMRICH » Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:00 pm

bleach168 wrote:The idea behind shorting a stock is you borrow someone else's shares to sell right away with a promise to return those shares when you are done shorting. Since you never really have possession of the stock, you will not receive any dividends.

however i could still short those shares for a year yes??? and i would get the 14% on the shares that are not being shorted. Is this a bad idea?
AEMRICH
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bleach168 » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:05 pm

If you're shorting 500 shares AND buying 500 shares, you won't be getting 14% return. You get a 7% return
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby AEMRICH » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:20 pm

7% on the 1000 overall shares right? so it would be 14% on the 500 shares not being shorted. Do you think this is a bad strategy?
AEMRICH
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby CheeseBeger » Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:00 pm

AEMRICH wrote:Hey guys i've got a question involving stocks. My first question is when you short a stock do you still get the dividend? Say you find a stock that has a 14% dividend, if you were to buy 500 shares of this stock and then short 500 shares of this stock (at the same price) for a year this would neutralize any gains and loses yes? but you would still be getting 14% gain on 1000 shares of this stock minus your transaction fees. 14% is almost 3x more than any CD is offering. Is there a flaw in my thinking??

Your not taking other important factors into account. As stated above you will receive dividends on the 500 shares which you own, but not on your 500 borrowed shares you are shorting.

- There are transaction fees
- There are taxes on dividends
- Not positive but I believe after you close your short position you are required by law to hold your long position for a minimum of 60 days. If you do not do this there is some sort of capital gains tax.
2010 H2HWS Champion - Cleveland Clams
CheeseBeger
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby AEMRICH » Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:20 pm

alright it sounds like it is not a great strategy. I knew something had to be wrong with my thinking. Thanks guys
AEMRICH
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Curtis Pride » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:53 am

And where the hell did you find a stock with a 14% dividend yield? Getting a 14% return above and beyond any appreciation in the stock is a pretty damn good investment.
Curtis Pride
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby RugbyD » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:12 am

Curtis Pride wrote:And where the hell did you find a stock with a 14% dividend yield? Getting a 14% return above and beyond any appreciation in the stock is a pretty damn good investment.

REITs typically pay strong dividends because to be classified as a REIT for tax puropses, you have to pay out 90%+ of income. Some REITs that are really glorified specialty investment vehicles have high dividend yields, but with that comes a commensurate amount of risk.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Curtis Pride » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:12 am

But a REIT isn't a company, and company's dividends don't fluctuate with income. If a company issues a $1.30 dividend, it's highly unlikely they'll lower that dividend. For if they do, it's a pretty bad sign of distress and many in Wall St. will run away from them.

Hell, I remember when I was a broker in '03 and AT&T had a 7% dividend yield and it was notable. A 14% yield would bring the house down.
Curtis Pride
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Next

Return to General Talk