22 year old guy having sex with a 16 year old girl - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

22 year old guy having sex with a 16 year old girl

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Am I right to be angry?

Yes
10
43%
No
10
43%
Not sure
3
13%
 
Total votes : 23

Re: 22 year old guy having sex with a 16 year old girl

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:19 am

Those of you who suggest that a 16-year old is old enough to make his/her own decisions, do you remember being 16, because I do. I made horrible decisions at 16. If someone is looking to use this girl it is in the best interest of society that we stand against it within the limits of the law. True, it is not against the law for this man to have this girl, but does that make it right? What could he possibly have in common with this girl still in high school? It's pathetic. A man does not target a girl. This guy's a coward and I pray this girl learns to make better decisions.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 11420
(Past Year: 6)
Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Probably over there

Re: 22 year old guy having sex with a 16 year old girl

Postby josebach » Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:16 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:Those of you who suggest that a 16-year old is old enough to make his/her own decisions, do you remember being 16, because I do. I made horrible decisions at 16. If someone is looking to use this girl it is in the best interest of society that we stand against it within the limits of the law. True, it is not against the law for this man to have this girl, but does that make it right? What could he possibly have in common with this girl still in high school? It's pathetic. A man does not target a girl. This guy's a coward and I pray this girl learns to make better decisions.


Lots of 16 year olds make good decisions and don't date 22 year old guys.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2036
Joined: 27 Aug 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Tallahassee

Re: 22 year old guy having sex with a 16 year old girl

Postby wake » Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:51 pm

Regardless of the ethicalness of the question, I think that if a 16 year old is judged old enough to deal with the consequences of committing a crime, they are old enough to make their own decisions about having sex. I also don't think this should be a decision about a 16 year old's wisdom. It should be on their ability to know the consequences of their actions and we shouldn't have to babysit them if they want to disregard them.
Image
wake
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1321
Joined: 24 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 22 year old guy having sex with a 16 year old girl

Postby Yoda » Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:50 pm

wake wrote:Regardless of the ethicalness of the question, I think that if a 16 year old is judged old enough to deal with the consequences of committing a crime, they are old enough to make their own decisions about having sex. I also don't think this should be a decision about a 16 year old's wisdom. It should be on their ability to know the consequences of their actions and we shouldn't have to babysit them if they want to disregard them.


There is a big difference between committing a crime that affect other people negatively versus having sex with someone that potentially only affect yourself. But anyway, I think the point is that if you are a 22 year old male, then you should not be chasing after 16 year olds. What could you possibly have in common?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Re: 22 year old guy having sex with a 16 year old girl

Postby AcidRock23 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:53 pm

Yikes, when I was 22, I would have had ZERO interest in a 16 year old, however precocious. The social gap is tremendous. Anyone who is 22 macking on 16 year olds= a loser douchebag. Are you going to take her to the prom? eeeew....
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
Posts: 4170
Joined: 8 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Champaign, IL

Re: 22 year old guy having sex with a 16 year old girl

Postby Snakes Gould » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:34 am

Yoda wrote:
wake wrote:Regardless of the ethicalness of the question, I think that if a 16 year old is judged old enough to deal with the consequences of committing a crime, they are old enough to make their own decisions about having sex. I also don't think this should be a decision about a 16 year old's wisdom. It should be on their ability to know the consequences of their actions and we shouldn't have to babysit them if they want to disregard them.


There is a big difference between committing a crime that affect other people negatively versus having sex with someone that potentially only affect yourself. But anyway, I think the point is that if you are a 22 year old male, then you should not be chasing after 16 year olds. What could you possibly have in common?


do i really need to answer this?

the only thing they have in common from the guy's POV is their sexual organs and thats all that matters to him.
Image

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16051
Joined: 1 Nov 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Eternal Bliss

Re: 22 year old guy having sex with a 16 year old girl

Postby tuff_gong » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:48 am

Putting my personal views and tastes aside, I think that if a 16 yr-old girl is comfortable to make this decision on her own without any pressure from the guy, then I would not try to stop her. She can live her life. But, if someone were to inform her in a nice way why this may not be a good idea, and do this by not shoving it down her throat, I wouldn't say that is a bad idea.
Image

Well that's just like, your opinion man.
tuff_gong
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1483
Joined: 17 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 14th and Ohio

Re: 22 year old guy having sex with a 16 year old girl

Postby Art Vandelay » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:43 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:Those of you who suggest that a 16-year old is old enough to make his/her own decisions, do you remember being 16, because I do. I made horrible decisions at 16.

I would guess just about everyone made stupid choices at 16, I know I did as well. I also know that I still make stupid choices today, in my late 20s. For the most part, 16 is about when most people start making many important decesions on their own, anytime people are doing something for the first time, they are going to screw up. If you keep someone sheltered and don't let them think/make decisions for themselves until they are 18, then they'll make stupid decisions at 18. Same will happen if they start making their own decisions at 21, or 25, or 50.


Omaha Red Sox wrote:If someone is looking to use this girl it is in the best interest of society that we stand against it within the limits of the law. True, it is not against the law for this man to have this girl, but does that make it right?

I think because of the age difference, it's easy to assume that this guy is "using" her, but we don't know that to be the case. Many 22-year-olds aren't much more mature, if at all, than some 16-year-olds. It seems that you aren't considering the girl at all here, just the guy who you think is "having" and "using" her. I guess I can understand your point if you don't think a 16-year-old is capable of makiner her own decisions, but I disagree with that assertion, so I disagree with your point.

Omaha Red Sox wrote:What could he possibly have in common with this girl still in high school?

Everyone is acting like six years is a huge gap in age. They could have conceivably been in high school together at some point. They could work together, have mutual friends, enjoy the same music/hobbies/sports/activities/etc.

Omaha Red Sox wrote:This guy's a coward and I pray this girl learns to make better decisions.

I don't know whether this guy is a coward or not, and without knowing much about the situation, I don't hope that she learns to make better decisions, I hope that she's already good at decision making and isn't making a big mistake here.

We expect most 16-year-olds to handle the responsibility of driving/paying for a vehicle, holding down a job, keeping their grades up, making decisions about their future, and acting responsible, but then we don't think they are capable of making decisions about sex. People want 16-year-olds to act like adults, but they don't want to treat them like adults.
Image
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 5265
Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 22 year old guy having sex with a 16 year old girl

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:08 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:Those of you who suggest that a 16-year old is old enough to make his/her own decisions, do you remember being 16, because I do. I made horrible decisions at 16.

I would guess just about everyone made stupid choices at 16, I know I did as well. I also know that I still make stupid choices today, in my late 20s. For the most part, 16 is about when most people start making many important decesions on their own, anytime people are doing something for the first time, they are going to screw up. If you keep someone sheltered and don't let them think/make decisions for themselves until they are 18, then they'll make stupid decisions at 18. Same will happen if they start making their own decisions at 21, or 25, or 50.


Typically, a 16-year old girl in a situation such as this is vulnerable. We see it everywhere. Why would a 22-year old man pursue a 16-year old girl instead of a woman his own age? Because he's going to feel superior to her in some way.

Art Vandelay wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:If someone is looking to use this girl it is in the best interest of society that we stand against it within the limits of the law. True, it is not against the law for this man to have this girl, but does that make it right?

I think because of the age difference, it's easy to assume that this guy is "using" her, but we don't know that to be the case. Many 22-year-olds aren't much more mature, if at all, than some 16-year-olds. It seems that you aren't considering the girl at all here, just the guy who you think is "having" and "using" her. I guess I can understand your point if you don't think a 16-year-old is capable of makiner her own decisions, but I disagree with that assertion, so I disagree with your point.

Art Vandelay wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:What could he possibly have in common with this girl still in high school?

Everyone is acting like six years is a huge gap in age. They could have conceivably been in high school together at some point. They could work together, have mutual friends, enjoy the same music/hobbies/sports/activities/etc.


6 years is not a great difference if you're 40. If one of you is a teenager, however, there is a huge difference. At 22, a person should just be about to get out of college and begin a career. Right around that age anyway. At 16, all you're interested in is borrowing your dad's car to pick up your friends and go to the mall. Just because this particular 22-year old may have the maturity of a 16-year old does not make them compatible.

Art Vandelay wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:This guy's a coward and I pray this girl learns to make better decisions.

I don't know whether this guy is a coward or not, and without knowing much about the situation, I don't hope that she learns to make better decisions, I hope that she's already good at decision making and isn't making a big mistake here.

We expect most 16-year-olds to handle the responsibility of driving/paying for a vehicle, holding down a job, keeping their grades up, making decisions about their future, and acting responsible, but then we don't think they are capable of making decisions about sex. People want 16-year-olds to act like adults, but they don't want to treat them like adults.


I wouldn't expect a 16-year old to act like an adult. I would expect a 16-year old to act like a 16-year old. And they should. Why grow up at 16? You have to be grown-up for the rest of your life, why grow up early? Doesn't make sense.

I am more optimistic about today's youth than I may be letting on with my comments. I'm consistently amazed at some of the great decisions, attitudes, actions, etc., of some of the kids I come in contact with. My cousin just turned 18 and will be going into the Air Force once he graduates. The biggest thing that I've seen with him, and many other teenagers, is the changes they go through in such a short amount of time. 2 years ago, this kid was having a hard time with school and getting into trouble. Now he's plays on both sides of the ball on a very good football team, gets As and Bs and is extremely excited to be getting the opportunity to serve his country.

I realize this is only one example, but I could show you a million more. You can step out of your building onto the street and see for yourself. The differences between a 16-year old and a 20-year old is immense. But there are exceptions. We can only go off of what we've read. I wasn't around when the link was up, but from the comments made about it, this guy doesn't seem to be a pillar of our society. It is not generally going to be in the best interest of anyone involved for a 16-year old to get with a 22-year old. If this man were to ask my opinion I would tell him it's wrong. If this girl were to ask for my advice, I would tell her it's wrong. Of course, the decision is ultimately up to them, but we also have a decision to make. Whether we're too uncaring to speak up and let what happens just happen, or whether we care enough to say something because we've been 16 and 22.


I apologize if my responses were choppy, unfinished or full of gramatical errors. I've been in and out of my chair while writing this so I'm not able to pay as close attention to what I'm typing as I'd like to. Hope I got my point across effectively, but I'm sure you'll point it out to me if I didn't.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 11420
(Past Year: 6)
Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Probably over there

Re: 22 year old guy having sex with a 16 year old girl

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:59 pm

Sometimes, I think there isn't that dramatic of a difference between two 14 year-olds fooling around and a 22 year-old fooling around with a 16 year-old. The only supposed difference is we have a person at the other end of the question who's supposed to be more mature because they're a bit older, as expected...while the other, hasn't reached what constitutes "adult age" in our country/society. It's all a matter of maturation (mental, not physical) and for some people, they become mature of mind by 16 and some, become "matured" at 28. We all had the capacity by 16 years old to make decisions on our own, especially at an age where there are critical life transitions to becoming more "adult" (i.e. driving, summer jobs), and as long as we have consent on both parties, with the ability to make what constitutes mature decisions a non-factor, then it is what it is. It's all about responsible parenting and communication within the family being open for the most part.
Image
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21938
(Past Year: 674)
Joined: 3 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Downloading rice

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: unioreimi and 7 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Tuesday, Sep. 2
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Cincinnati at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Detroit at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
Boston at NY Yankees
(7:05 pm)
Philadelphia at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
NY Mets at Miami
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Toronto at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Milwaukee at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
Chi White Sox at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
Texas at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
LA Angels at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Pittsburgh at St. Louis
(8:15 pm)
San Francisco at Colorado
(8:40 pm)
Seattle at Oakland
(10:05 pm)
Washington at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)
Arizona at San Diego
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact