Winning a batting title with Less Ab's Your Thoughts - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Winning a batting title with Less Ab's Your Thoughts

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Winning a batting title with Less Ab's Your Thoughts

Postby AcidRock23 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:36 pm

Sitting out to win a batting title = asterisk worthy, punk move IMHO.

Ted Williams 'risking' (not, of course, that Ted would have admitted that there was risk involved but, well, you know...) .400 to play the second game of a double header on the last day of the season= boo yeah.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:23 pm

davidmarver wrote:Didn't the Rockies used to bench Larry Walker when he was going for batting titles so that he wouldn't hurt his average?

The bottom line: instead of complaining about your guy having more ABs than those other guys, perhaps you should look at the other side of the argument, where Braves fans complain about Coors adding ten to fifteen points to Holliday's. It's a much better argument.

Perhaps you should look at the pitching the Braves have to face in the NL EAST. Other then Hamels is pretty much garbage. I'd say that helps chippers average a bit as well.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby raiders_umpire » Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:32 pm

acsguitar wrote:
Its gonna so piss me off if Holliday loses the batting title by 1 point because he wasn't injured this year like the other 3

I guess Holliday has a little over a week to pick his game up a notch then if he wants to win the batting title this year. Of course winning games and making the playoffs should mean much more to him then winning a batting title.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby acsguitar » Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:35 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
Its gonna so piss me off if Holliday loses the batting title by 1 point because he wasn't injured this year like the other 3

I guess Holliday has a little over a week to pick his game up a notch then if he wants to win the batting title this year. Of course winning games and making the playoffs should mean much more to him then winning a batting title.

And it does especially if you hear him talk . He's low key and doesn't care about a batting title. But for the lack of media recognition we get in colorado it would be nice to have an MVP or Batting champ.
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby raiders_umpire » Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:38 pm

acsguitar wrote:

And it does especially if you hear him talk . He's low key and doesn't care about a batting title. But for the lack of media recognition we get in colorado it would be nice to have an MVP or Batting champ.

Larry Walker MVP in 1997
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby acsguitar » Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:51 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:
acsguitar wrote:

Larry Walker MVP in 1997

Eh I was 16 and living In DC. Means nothing to me!

Go Holliday!
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Snakes Gould » Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:16 pm

well abs are pretty pointless, how bout you look at plate appearances. i know it probably is the same thing in this case, but you really cant penalize a guy if he walks a lot. hes just doing what he can to get on base. (i know utley, chipper, renteria were all hurt this year. what is the official cutoff for abs? anyone know off the top?i thought it was 450?)

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Noggy » Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:39 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:what is the official cutoff for abs? anyone know off the top?i thought it was 450?)

ABs don't matter, the cut off is based on PAs.

It's 502 plate appearances (3.1 per team games played) to qualify.
Noggy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby brewcrew4you » Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:18 pm

:~(

I wish Braun had kept his average high enough to beat Holliday without having enough ab's to qualify. Your reaction then might have been priceless.
brewcrew4you
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby davidmarver » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:13 pm

ACS, how about, after adjusting for pitchers faced, you adjust for the stadium as well? This season, for every one hit in a nuetral stadium, a hitter in Coors Field gets 1.122 hits due to park factors, while a hitter in Turner Field gets 0.905 hits.

So in other words, Holliday has 12.6 extra hits this season because of Coors Field. His nuetral home batting average -- if Coors Field was nuetral -- would be .334 instead of .374. This would make his total batting average .319.

Chipper, on the other hand, has 7.98 less hits this season because of Turner Field. His nuetral home batting average would be .356 instead of .322. This would make his total batting average .359.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers