Price, Porcello or someone else - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Price, Porcello or someone else

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Price, Porcello or someone else

Postby JohnR » Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:36 am

I have the first overall minor league pick coming up in the offseason. Given the amount of ML'ers currently rostered, it pretty much is mostly 2007 draftees as the pool. I'm wondering who makes the best selection first overall for my team. I'm looking long term because if the player is in the majors before September 1st, he loses rookie eligibility. If he stays in the minors until September 1st, he carries over along with the normal set of keepers. So we're looking at NEXT september 1st as the target date here, obviously looking for a guy with a high ceiling yet someone who might give me an extra year of eligibility. Here's my keepers and my current ML system:

Victor Martinez
Travis Hafner
David Wright
Delmon Young
Justin Upton
Billy Butler
Cole Hamels
Yovanni Gallardo
Francisco Liriano
Huston Street

ML:
Fernando Martinez
Lars Anderson
Nick Adenhart
Dellin Betances
Max Scherzer
Ian Kennedy
Carlos Carrasco
Scott Elbert

I'm looking at the best player obviously, but I think high ceiling pitcher is what id take there and Im not sure if Porcello is a real reach or not. FWIW, I have the #1 overall and #14 overall (out of 16)
The one constant through all the years has been baseball. It's been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt, and erased again...This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and that could be again.
JohnR
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Price, Porcello or someone else

Postby AEMRICH » Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:43 am

i actually think that you have a lot of ML pitching talent and would try to bulk up on offense. See if you can trade the # 1 pick and get into 3-6 plus another pick later on and grab Jason Heyward withyour first pick
College Tuition: $12,000
Room & Board: $5,600
Books: $500
Food Plan: $2000
Not going to college and living with your parents: Priceless
AEMRICH
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 12)

Postby Seattle Squirrels » Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:09 am

Not sure if you have drafted yet or not, but if you have not, I recommend taking Price. Porcello has a higher ceiling for sure, but Price will be up faster, and has a substantially higher chance of reaching his full potential than Porcello.

Also, when doing fantasy prospect drafts, never ever draft by perceived positional need; always go for the best available talent, due to the volatility of prospects and the fact that by the time they become major league ready the scape of your team will almost certainly be different.
Seattle Squirrels
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby brettsbombers » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:18 pm

porcello is a high school kid so he won't be show bound for a little while.
I would go with price as sure cut number 1 but trading him could have big dividends.
If you move down or with your second pick these pitchers meet your criteria.
moskos lhp pirates
detweiler lhp nationals
savery lhp phillies
schmidt padres
brackmen rhp yankees....these are all college pitchers who don't need as much minor league ball and could be september callups.

My favorite hitter in this draft is switch hitting catcher from geargia tech Matt Wieters who the O's drafted 5
brettsbombers
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby High Heater » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:20 pm

i'd go for a hitter like LaPorta or Moustakas.... both can knock the crap out of the ball.
High Heater
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby brettsbombers » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:56 am

Mr high heat...I would be interested in your take on weiters as I have him ranked ahead of those two hitters partly because of his position....also any hitter sleepers you like in the later rounds. As I have a minor league draft coming up also and sit with 7th pick but then don't pick again till 40
brettsbombers
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Savoy Special » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:59 am

brettsbombers wrote:porcello is a high school kid so he won't be show bound for a little while.
I would go with price as sure cut number 1 but trading him could have big dividends.
If you move down or with your second pick these pitchers meet your criteria.
moskos lhp pirates
detweiler lhp nationals
savery lhp phillies
schmidt padres
brackmen rhp yankees....these are all college pitchers who don't need as much minor league ball and could be september callups.

My favorite hitter in this draft is switch hitting catcher from geargia tech Matt Wieters who the O's drafted 5

Schmidt & Brackman both had reconstructive elbow surgery this year and they both will miss the entire 2008 season. I would not spend a draft pick on these guys unless it is a late one.
Moskos may be overrated as he will most likely only be a reliever on a bad team. Good player but how much will he really ever help your fantasy team?
Savoy Special
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby brettsbombers » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:15 am

thanks a lot! with price gone number 1...I want to look at a hitter in the seveth spot which your take on the hitters in last years draft thanks
brettsbombers
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby High Heater » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:31 am

brettsbombers wrote:Mr high heat...I would be interested in your take on weiters as I have him ranked ahead of those two hitters partly because of his position....also any hitter sleepers you like in the later rounds. As I have a minor league draft coming up also and sit with 7th pick but then don't pick again till 40

i have weiters bat up there with moustakas. Laporta is the guy i'd target if i wanted a big time bat with good power though... he's near MLB ready and will be batting with Fielder, Braun and Hart in a potent lineup soon.

Moustakas has incredible upside as well, i really liked the 4 guys of laporta, weiters, moustakas and vitters from this past draft class.
High Heater
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Seattle Squirrels » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:43 am

brettsbombers wrote:thanks a lot! with price gone number 1...I want to look at a hitter in the seveth spot which your take on the hitters in last years draft thanks

I would go after Beau Mills. He put up a 42 XBH% in 245 ABs, peaking in High A ball in the first season of his pro career. I think he will rise through the minors faster than any of the other '07 draftees, except for maybe Wieters. His slugging potential is just so far through the roof.

After Mills I would go for Moustakas (Highest Ceiling of anyone, very hard to put him 2nd...), followed by Wieters, Josh Vitters, Jason Heyward, Michael Burgess, and LaPorta.
Seattle Squirrels
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Minor League & College Baseball