Does anyone here draft like this? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Does anyone here draft like this?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Does anyone here draft like this?

Postby RynMan » Thu Feb 12, 2004 9:54 pm

Do any of you guys load up on a certain position, and then use those guys as trade bait later on for upgrades in positions u didnt get? Or do u think it is just better to jus stick to the plan and grab the guys u want and need? I know a guy in my league is looking to load up on shortstops, is this the way to go?
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tlef316 » Thu Feb 12, 2004 10:01 pm

very dumb move. there is no way people are going to give him market value for them, because they know he is desperate to dump them.
welcome home andy
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby RynMan » Thu Feb 12, 2004 10:03 pm

tlef316 wrote:very dumb move. there is no way people are going to give him market value for them, because they know he is desperate to dump them.

are u talking in an auction or in a draft? im referring to a draft....
i guess what ur saying can also be applied, in that people arent gonna give up quality to get someone he has stockpiled, cuz he has to get rid of them or sit them on the bench.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby kentx12 » Thu Feb 12, 2004 10:06 pm

RynMan wrote:
tlef316 wrote:very dumb move. there is no way people are going to give him market value for them, because they know he is desperate to dump them.

are u talking in an auction or in a draft? im referring to a draft....
i guess what ur saying can also be applied, in that people arent gonna give up quality to get someone he has stockpiled, cuz he has to get rid of them or sit them on the bench.

I agree that if people know you have to move players you cant get as much value in return. I know this from experiance I tried 1 time and will never do it again.

There will come a day when Barry Bonds leaves baseball, and everything about the game will be the better for it.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby TheRock » Thu Feb 12, 2004 10:09 pm

It'll never work. Would be better to just draft the guys you want rather than try to corner the market on a position to trade later for the guys you want. Plus he'll never get more for them than they're worth (what he's thinking). As tlef said, people will know he's got to move them, and invariably one or more will not be performing up to par and won't bring much in a trade anyway.
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)

Postby TheRock » Thu Feb 12, 2004 10:13 pm

However... if by chance someone falls too far in a draft and you've already got that position filled, you might take him anyway. Depends on your league and if you think you'll be able to move him in a trade. Like say if you had ARod (obviously you had the #1 pick) and Tejada made it back to you at #24, I say grab him. Draft for value, trade for balance.
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)

Postby Madison » Fri Feb 13, 2004 1:27 am

Exactly. I've seen people do that with catchers and they end up with the short end of the stick. I wouldn't advise trying it. Just usually doesn't work out.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby justinA » Fri Feb 13, 2004 1:38 am

well in our league ur not able to bid on a position that u already have filled in ur active roster, thus preventing it. Its a dumb move anyway.
The Oreos!
justinA
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby prodpaul » Fri Feb 13, 2004 8:50 am

Very dangerous tactic. When I see an owner doing that the phrase "crash and burn" usually comes to mind.

Tetelestai
prodpaul
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterSweet 16 Survivor

Re: Does anyone here draft like this?

Postby trevisc » Fri Feb 13, 2004 10:04 am

RynMan wrote:Do any of you guys load up on a certain position, and then use those guys as trade bait later on for upgrades in positions u didnt get? Or do u think it is just better to jus stick to the plan and grab the guys u want and need? I know a guy in my league is looking to load up on shortstops, is this the way to go?

one of the best Roto years I ever had was when I drafted all the top closers in the first 5 rounds. It was amazing to me that Managers would trade me 2 top 30 SPs for Rivera or Nen (they were tops back then). I won that league by a mile.

It depends on the dynamics of your league though because any seasoned manager wouldn't go for that. They'd fish the WW or try to win by punting that category.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers