Trying to start a Keeper League on Yahoo!, need advice - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Trying to start a Keeper League on Yahoo!, need advice

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Trying to start a Keeper League on Yahoo!, need advice

Postby redsoxtalk » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:28 pm

Hi, I am a first-time commissioner aiming to start a 5x5 keeper league next season. I'd like some input as to roster sizes, specific rules, etc that I should determine/watch out for. Right now I've got around 10 teams, but am shooting for a few more, maybe 14?

My initial thoughts on the league:

-Scoring could be standard 5x5 league
-Roster would include: C, 1B, 2B, SS, 3B, 3 OF, DH plus 4 bench spots (Maybe I should specify CF/corner OF?)
-Pitching staff would include: 4 SP, 2 RP plus 2 bench spots
-Each team would also get 1 DL slot to work with
-Each team could stash 3-4 prospects in their "farm system"; when they are called up, you can drop a player and put them on your active roster, or you can keep them in your farm
-I think we have to limit the add/drops in the farm slots somehow, maybe one or two times in a year?
-At the end of the year, you can protect up to 14 players (2/3 of your active roster) for next season

From your experience, do you think that the roster size is too prohibitive and will just result in a lot of add/dropping?
How about the farm system roster size? Should it be expanded? I read some posts here where people had 12-14 players on their farm team.
Also, logistically, how do you handle prospects who become available on Yahoo! to make sure they go to the right team? How about if the manager doesn't want to add them to their active roster yet? How can you prevent someone from picking them up in that case?
How about the number of protected players? I would like for teams to build on what they have, but maybe this setup will be too easy to change people every year?
redsoxtalk
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Trying to start a Keeper League on Yahoo!, need advice

Postby redsoxtalk » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:08 pm

Also, any input on weekly transaction league vs regular Yahoo! system w/ waivers would be appreciated.
redsoxtalk
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby mak1277 » Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:56 am

redsoxtalk wrote:Hi...
My initial thoughts on the league:

-Scoring could be standard 5x5 league
-Roster would include: C, 1B, 2B, SS, 3B, 3 OF, DH plus 4 bench spots (Maybe I should specify CF/corner OF?)

Really a personal preference on the positions. I think 3 generic OFs is fine.

redsoxtalk wrote:-Pitching staff would include: 4 SP, 2 RP plus 2 bench spots
-Each team would also get 1 DL slot to work with

Why only 1 DL slot? I personally believe there should be a very high number of DL spots. A team shouldn't be penalized by having guys get hurt, especially in a keeper league.

redsoxtalk wrote:-Each team could stash 3-4 prospects in their "farm system"; when they are called up, you can drop a player and put them on your active roster, or you can keep them in your farm
-I think we have to limit the add/drops in the farm slots somehow, maybe one or two times in a year?
-At the end of the year, you can protect up to 14 players (2/3 of your active roster) for next season

From your experience, do you think that the roster size is too prohibitive and will just result in a lot of add/dropping?

Roster size looks fine to me.

redsoxtalk wrote:How about the farm system roster size? Should it be expanded? I read some posts here where people had 12-14 players on their farm team.

Personal preference again. If you have super hard-core players in your league, you could expand it, but if you have more casual guys, anything more than 3 or 4 will tilt the balance in the league towards the guys that are more into it. I'd start with 3 or 4 and expand it next year if the league wants more.

redsoxtalk wrote:Also, logistically, how do you handle prospects who become available on Yahoo! to make sure they go to the right team? How about if the manager doesn't want to add them to their active roster yet? How can you prevent someone from picking them up in that case?

This shouldn't be a problem at all. I'm in a similar league, and the owners just pay attention to minor league rosters and don't add guys that are owned by someone else. We had a few instances during the year when a guy was picked up that was already owned, but a quick message board post or e-mail rectified the situation quickly.

redsoxtalk wrote:How about the number of protected players? I would like for teams to build on what they have, but maybe this setup will be too easy to change people every year?

I think keeping 14 guys is plenty. A good deal of the fun (for me at least) is drafting every year. If you keep too many guys, that kind of gets lost in the shuffle.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby redsoxtalk » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:24 am

Hey, thanks for your comments, much obliged. I feel a lot more confident going in now. :)
redsoxtalk
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:25 pm

I was going to post this as a seperate topic but when I saw the title here, I figured I would piggy-back and keep the discussion in one thread. I am also looking at starting a keeper league using Yahoo. I have been in a 12 team, 11x11 head-to-head league for three years now and recently a few of us have talked about doing a keeper league. We have about 5-6 really serious managers who have been in this league since its inception and I think moving to a keeper league would add another element to our baseball season. My question, including those of you who will respond based on personal preference, is do you think it is better to go with h2h or roto for a keeper league? I've never played roto so I don't have any experience with the ups and downs, and for as much as I've enjoyed h2h (11x11 can make it really nuts sometimes trying to win certain matchups) there have been plenty of weeks where luck plays more of a role than anything. Any thoughts on this?

Also, what do you think is the best number of keepers to establish? I've seen so many different numbers while surfing the forums. Any other suggestions or comments are especially welcome.

Thanks for taking the time to respond...
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby brettsbombers » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:01 am

Roto is a more pure form of fantasy baseball and assures the best team wins in the end,very exciting if you are a contender.That is also where the problem lies if you are 30 points out in July there is probably not much you can do.Where in h2 you have a new matchup every week and what between 4-8 teams make the playoffs so more teams are in the hunt!
In my experience roto is more for hard core players and h2h more casual and fun leagues.
As for your scoring cats and roster size go basic then let the league vote on any changes or additions this way they feel it is not your league it is all managers.

One more thing If you run a keeper on yahoo try to make it a plus league much easier to slot everyones teams from year to year other wise it is a lot of work.
CBS sportsline is more keeper friendly and also has separate spots for minor leaguers.
If your going to do yahoo start a group in the off season and get everyone in and set they can send the group pictures post polls and talk baseball all year between league members. good luck ken
brettsbombers
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:51 am

Thanks for the feedback. We've had the same league with at least 6-7 out of 12 managers returning every year for the last three years so the categories have never been an issue. I do like the idea of teams being able to stay in it towards the end as I always fear we will lose a manager or two down the stretch (or neglect to get their minimum innings; we use 30) if they are out of it early on. This year we had a team be about 30 games back at the All-Star break and he ended up finishing third after making some good moves and getting back in it while a few teams ahead of him either slumped or suffered from injuries. I guess my interest in roto was more based on the fact that I haven't participated in roto league before. I've talked about this witha few of the managers already and we're pretty split on which way to go. Either way, thanks for the feedback.
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby mak1277 » Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:55 am

If you've always done a H2H league, I don't see any reason to switch unless there are people the really want to go roto.

Personally, I prefer roto myself, but if you've had success with your league, there's no reason to change it. Plus, adding too many changes in one year probably isn't the best way to go.

As far as the number of keepers, I'd probably start small (5-7). Then, if you guys really like it, you can always add more going forward.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Return to Commissioner's Corner