Please help.....Streamer Roster Dumper...need opinions. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Please help.....Streamer Roster Dumper...need opinions.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Please help.....Streamer Roster Dumper...need opinions.

Postby prricci » Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:50 pm

First, I know this is not the right forum ...Commishioners Corner is, but no one seems to be watching that....I need thoughts today. Please help.

I have a person in my league that does this every year...this year I am commish. I am currently playing him in first round of playoffs. He has a bunch of ww players on his team...I am have been beating him 10-1 in h2h stats, he started dropping his players on Wednesday to fill his Thursday (day off) roster and streaming his pitchers (he did this the last two weeks of the season to sneak into the playoffs - played the worst team and second to worst team in the league those weaks). He streamed so he had 3-4 pitchers going each night (from Wednesday on) to catch me in strikeouts and wins. He has now overtaken me in Ks and I am leading 9-2. I warned him on Wednesday that I would lock his ability to do transactions if he kept up these actions, as I view this as cheating, albiet minor. I think this is week and pathetic. Another manager invited him into the league,after I had already set the rules. If I knew he was in prior I would have put some barrier in place for these actions.

So, 2 days (Friday) after I warned him, he still did it. So, I posted a message and locked his transactions. He posts a message calling me a cheater and that I changed the rules. Personally, this person is the type of person who cheats his way through life (I have worked with him before- have first hand witnessed events to back this allegation)

Questions, should I just unlock his transactions and let him be a jackass, as I am probably going to win anyway, or keep as is to send him a message?

Additionally, if I do unlock, should I warn him (if by the slimmest of chances he does catchup and beat me and moves on) I will lock his transactions if he starts this against his next opponent?

No money league, just cannot stand this person's ridiculous antics.

BTW - I locked him when we now both have 6 starting pitcher left for the week...so he has to beat me fairly and not by having 12 pitchers to my six.
Thanks in advance to all for your help.

This is not intended to be a wine just a cry for help
prricci
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Please help.....Streamer Roster Dumper...need opinions.

Postby raiders_umpire » Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:59 pm

You unfairly locked his team unless you have rules against churning in your league. If there are no rules against churning, then let him do it.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby prricci » Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:13 pm

Thanks for the thoughts. I would not say I unfairly locked his team for two reasons.

1. I warned him against it prior; and
2. Yahoo! Rules do dictate that a commishioner can do this .

That said, as he is playing me this week, I feel that I should unlock him, so that there is no sense that I am doing to win. I am going to win anyway...tomorrow is the last day and I am up 9-2, my fear is that he is going to dump all his pitchers tommorrow and pick up every starter and hot batter and then, even if I beat him then his player go on the waiver wire. It would be a mess.

As I mentioned prior, I did not invite him and would have prefered him not in the league as I know his antics; others do not like them as well.

Thanks for your input. I am going to reluctantly unlock him.
prricci
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:19 am

So, you put this in the wrong section purposely and we are supposed to help out?? I'll take the bait. There were apparently no rules against this so what gives you the right to lock him?? Unless I am missing something, you should unlock his team ASAP. I don't churn but you can't just make up your own rules.

1. I warned him against it prior; and

LMAO. You warned him during the week?? How about before the season??
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby sportsguy138 » Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:16 am

Yeah, this is ridiculous. You can't warn him during the playoffs if he does this you'll lock his team. Point is, you didn't make rules before the draft stating that you can't do this, so he can do what he wants. Might not make you happy, but it's not against the rules. You have to unlock his team right away.
sportsguy138
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 405)

Postby prricci » Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:53 pm

Gentlemen,

While I appreciate the help, please be kind with your wording "This is ridiculous" is a somewhat inflammatory remark. :-D

Let me make paint the full picture:

1. I warned him prior to the playoffs as he does the same crap every year;
2. I locked him and then posted the question on this illustrious site to get expert opinions; and
3. Once, I got the thoughts...which unfortunately were similar to my gut feeling and sense of fairness...I unlocked him all within an hour or so, net effect...nothing to his team and tad bit of annoyance to him...unfortunately not the same level as my annoyance with him; and
4. He snuck in the back door through another manager inviting him into the league after I set the rules. Therefore, I had no opportunity to change the rules...other than to warn him prior to the playoffs...which I did!

I hope this does not sound as RIDICULOUS as you made it out to be...I think ridiculous would be a better characterization if I had just lock him with no warning and did not ask for opinions...OK you could argue that I should have asked first locked later...but see #3 above.

Thanks to all.
prricci
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:03 am

Set the rules before the season. He shouldn't be locked.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Bloody Sox » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:14 pm

Dude - you were the commissioner... you could have set the rules up front if you didn't like them. You were (or would have been) totally in the wrong, and a cheater as your opponent claimed, if you kept his roster locked. If you did in fact state in the preseason that streaming was not allowed, and exactly how your league defined streaming, and you enforced it all year with a clear penalty, then that is a different story.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby talan37 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:13 am

Everyone is correct, sorry OP but what your doing is abusing your powers as commish. Your enforcing a rule that doesn't exist for your own personal gain. Whether you think its fair or not doesn't matter, because its not in the rules, and warning him before-hand isn't an excuse. I personally hate that playing style, and my league is designed so you can't do it, but if you don't set that before-hand you can't stop someone from doing it.

There is a reason that changing rules in season is frowned upon, its because people build there teams around the current rules. If you suddenly say "no-churning" or change the move limit part way through, you can completely invalidate someones team.

You ARE in the wrong, and there is no other way around it here, read any column about being a commish, or ask any "fantasy expert", you can't change the rules mid-season, and changing them mid-season to suddenly benefit yourself is even worse.

Partway through the season, the commisioner's job is to enforce _existing_ rules, not what he sees as "fair play". If you insist on changing the rules you do so before or after the season starts.

If you were my commissioner and you waited until the playoffs to pull this crap I would be extremely pissed, and probably call for your removal as commish, as to me it is blatant abuse of power for personal gain.
Check out my blog at http://www.rotopulse.com for fantasy baseball analysis, injury reports, commissioner info and more. For laughs check out http://www.sportshysterics.com
talan37
College Coach
College Coach

Trivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Trojan Pony » Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:07 am

You're abusing your commissioner powers to disadvantage another player who is using strategically smart moves against you that are within the bounds of the rules. Not cool. You may not like it and maybe you'd like to change the rules next year but to lock his roster for such a thing at this point, especially considering you're playing him H2H, is a major conflict of interest and severe overreach on your part.
Trojan Pony
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Commissioner's Corner