Beer recommendation thread - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Beer recommendation thread

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Beer recommendation thread

Postby markj11 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:04 am

markj11 wrote:Here's a few I love but can rarely get my hands on.

Abita (LA) http://www.abita.com/
Fat Tire (C0) http://www.newbelgium.com/beers_ft.php
Castle Lager (South Africa) http://www.castlelager.co.za/

Disregaurd this, I am not a beer connoisseur, 14 deep into a Natural Lite case last night I felt like a traitor.
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Y`s Guy » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:37 pm

Went out last Saturday and found...

Dogfish Head Punkin' Ale......had one so far ;-D

Saranac Pumpkin Ale......had one so far and it's more of stronger OctoberFest. Light on the pumkin. :-S
My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 275)
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

Postby pokerplaya » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:40 pm

I had my first Arrogant Bastard Ale at the Ginger Man in Manhattan. MMM, delicious.

Any other recommendations considering I enjoyed this one? PS - I started off with a Brooklyn Lager, (yes only had 2 beers) which has always been a safe standby of mine.

The Ginger Man has 60 beers on tap (and few macros of that) and 100+ bottles. I can find most stuff here, so tell me what to drink. It's two blocks from where I work. :-D
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:00 am

pokerplaya wrote:I had my first Arrogant Bastard Ale at the Ginger Man in Manhattan. MMM, delicious.

Any other recommendations considering I enjoyed this one? PS - I started off with a Brooklyn Lager, (yes only had 2 beers) which has always been a safe standby of mine.

The Ginger Man has 60 beers on tap (and few macros of that) and 100+ bottles. I can find most stuff here, so tell me what to drink. It's two blocks from where I work. :-D

Try and find a whiskey barrel-aged Double Bastard. Pretty rare, but my goodness it makes an otherwise perfect AB even better. ;-D

Just give me a link to their beer menu and I'll let you know what I'd recommend. ;-D

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:06 am

Y`s Guy wrote:Went out last Saturday and found...

Dogfish Head Punkin' Ale......had one so far ;-D

Saranac Pumpkin Ale......had one so far and it's more of stronger OctoberFest. Light on the pumkin. :-S

I like mine with equal parts Guinness, although I wonder what would happen if I paired pumpkin ale with a stronger Russian Imperial Stout. Sounds like it would taste rather strong on the dark chocolate/coffee side, but worth a try.

The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby pokerplaya » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:13 am

The Artful Dodger wrote:
pokerplaya wrote:I had my first Arrogant Bastard Ale at the Ginger Man in Manhattan. MMM, delicious.

Try and find a whiskey barrel-aged Double Bastard. Pretty rare, but my goodness it makes an otherwise perfect AB even better. ;-D

Just give me a link to their beer menu and I'll let you know what I'd recommend. ;-D

Amazingly enough, after a search of google, I could not find a menu. Boo.

If anyone knows where to find one, please post.

In my search, however, I did verify 66 draft beers and 133 bottles. Mmmmm. ;-D
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby Coppermine » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:08 am

Arrogant Bastard is hard to top in my opinion. It's one of the most well-rounded beers out there; it's hoppy, malty, delicious and it definitely makes its presence known.

Any Stone beer is a good rec; they're easily one of the best micro breweries in America. I also recommend their Ruination or, for something completely different, their Imperial Russian.

Dogfish Head makes a beer that is similar to Bastard called "Immort Ale." Also, Lagunita's Brewing has a beer similar to this called "Brown Shugga." It's great, highly recommended.

But, I'm seeking out (and have yet to find) two variations Stone has of Arrogant Bastard. They have an Oak-aged version of it, which, as you can imagine would have to be completely awesome. I've had some oak aged Russian Imperials, but I'd love to try this. I think it's called Oaked Bastard.

The other one, called Double Bastard, is an even stronger version of Arrogant Bastard (around 10% ABV) and comes out in the winter.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:28 pm

Coppermine wrote:Any Stone beer is a good rec; they're easily one of the best micro breweries in America. I also recommend their Ruination or, for something completely different, their Imperial Russian.

Their Vertical Epic Ale and Stone Smoked Porter are quite good too. There's a bourbon barrel aged Stone Russian Imperial Stout out there too, but again, it's likely you'll only find it at a beer mecca.

Coppermine wrote:But, I'm seeking out (and have yet to find) two variations Stone has of Arrogant Bastard. They have an Oak-aged version of it, which, as you can imagine would have to be completely awesome. I've had some oak aged Russian Imperials, but I'd love to try this. I think it's called Oaked Bastard.

I've had the Oaked AB. Not as quite a raw rush as the original AB in taste, but wonderful.

Coppermine wrote:The other one, called Double Bastard, is an even stronger version of Arrogant Bastard (around 10% ABV) and comes out in the winter.

Yeah, packs quite a punch in taste as well. Recommend that too. Like I said, if you can impress your local bartender at your local beer haven, they'll give you a nice pint of whiskey barrel-aged AB. ;-D

The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

Postby Coppermine » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:32 pm

AD; Riverside trip starts Sunday for me. Anywhere good to drink there? I know Riverside is like the butthole of the greater Los Angeles area, but ya gotta throw me a bone. At least a strip club rec with some steam beer?
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:45 am

Coppermine wrote:AD; Riverside trip starts Sunday for me. Anywhere good to drink there? I know Riverside is like the butthole of the greater Los Angeles area, but ya gotta throw me a bone. At least a strip club rec with some steam beer?

Well, I've only stopped by Riverside once or twice, but it was because I was on my way to Palm Springs. Even the way to Vegas doesn't go through Riverside. :-b Plus, Riverside is kind of far. I'd say it's about 2 hours drive on average and the locals tend to consider Orange County as part of the greater L.A. area than Riverside. Being somewhat of a beach bum, I'm not too keen about going to the Inland Empire.

From what I know, Riverside is somewhat of a college town where all the bars hover around campus, but my friend says it doesn't have the kind of upbeat vibe like say, Austin has. Like L.A., I'm pretty sure you'll find a great brewpub or two in Riverside. It's definitely a big enough city where you can find just about anything. Just look up Beer Advocate as their city guides are quite good.

I'd say the best place to drink nearest to Riverside that's like Naja's Place of Redondo Beach is the Stuffed Sandwich in the San Gabriel Valley. Haven't been there as it's quite a trek, but it's perhaps the top beer bar inland. Probably a good 40 minutes away from Riverside, I'd say. If you have time to head westward from Riverside, I recommend Lucky Baldwin's in Pasadena, the Red Lion Tavern in L.A. (if you're really into German beer), and if by golly you're in Hollywood, the only great place to have a top-notch beer is Lucky Devils. We have some good brewpubs here in the South Bay that complements Naja's Place too, but I guess it could be off course for you. Also, I would recommend the Yard House in either Pasadena or Long Beach is for the vast selection of beer, but 85-90% of it is pretty much standard macrobrew stuff. However, they can make "root beer" floats out of Old Rasputin and Young's Chocolate Stout. Nice.

The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk