100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Beer recommendation thread

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Beer recommendation thread

Postby Coppermine » Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:54 am

OK, I just need to comment on Corona.

Or, over-priced, imported swill.

Before I get into the characters of it as a "beer," I should comment on its packaging. Corona has broken the golden rule of beer packaging; a clear bottle. As any self-respecting beer drinker would know, light is beer's worst enemy. The fact that Corona is advertised as something to be enjoyed on a sunny beach only further supplants the idea that this beer's popularity is a product of its marketing rather than its flavor, since it comes in clear bottles. Not that any beer consumed in America is anything other than years of successful marketing. Look, maybe Corona does hit the spot on a hot day, but that's more or less a product of the 4 or 5 lime wedges shoved into the bottle rather than beer itself which is all but undrinkable on its own. Without the lime, it's just another, adjunct laden American macro lager with almost no hop characteristics and intolerable served anything other than ice cold.

It's the number one imported beer in America. Two reasons; advertising and the fact that it's an even less flavorful clone of any macro light beer you can get. The fact that it sells in excess of $20 a case is even more mind-boggling. Don't even get me started on the fermented urine they call Corona Light.

Even the Mexicans don't drink it; it's their gringo beer. With respectable lagers like Negro Modelo and Bohemia brewed south of border, Corona is the "cheap stuff" there. Clocking in at just over 4% ABV, you'll need to drink a lot of these to enjoy the benefits of alcohol consumption; not that you wouldn't drink them quick anyway... you seriously don't want this beer to get warm.

Women seem to enjoy it though. Mmm, lime.

Personally, I think citrus fruits don't belong in beer, even in the great Belgian Whites and Hefeweizens which are often served with a wedge of lemon or orange.

So if you enjoy Corona, that's ok. But it's not worthy of a beer recommendation nor a serious discussion of beer considering how many great choices there are these days.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Snakes Gould » Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:30 am

hey i will it admit im not beer conousier. i havent tried alot of them and often when im drinking, its in a college type atmosphere. not the best situation to see around and try a bunch of micro brewers. corona tastes better to me than miller lite, natty, beast, bud, etc... i like the flavor with the lime and even a lemon. maybe when im a little older and have some more loose change to spend on beer ill expand my horizons.

ps (corona is generally $30+ for a case)

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:42 pm

Fall is a time for the occasional wheat beer. It's not cold yet but by the end of October I'll be enjoying a Hoegarden from time to time.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby J35J » Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:32 pm

So people "really" like the taste of beer? This isn't just a list of beers that are the least, worst tasting just to get drunk? I admit I will drink a few beers from time to time but for the most part I have to choke the first couple down before the taste starts to go away! ;-7 :-°

I'll take some Vodka and OJ and I'm set.....now that tastes "good"! ;-D
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 393)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:40 pm

J35J wrote:I'll take some Vodka and OJ and I'm set.....now that tastes "good"! ;-D

:-P
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby markj11 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:05 am

Here's a few I love but can rarely get my hands on.

Abita (LA) http://www.abita.com/
Fat Tire (C0) http://www.newbelgium.com/beers_ft.php
Castle Lager (South Africa) http://www.castlelager.co.za/
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Coppermine » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:38 am

J35J wrote:So people "really" like the taste of beer? This isn't just a list of beers that are the least, worst tasting just to get drunk? I admit I will drink a few beers from time to time but for the most part I have to choke the first couple down before the taste starts to go away! ;-7 :-°

Vagina alert!

Just kidding :-b

When i was in college, I drank swill; Keystone, Natty (yes, even Ice), High Life and PBR. And yes, some beers I now absolutely love were an acquired taste. It was nice to graduate and have a real job, thus affording me the opportunity try no less than 350 unique, different beers in the past 2 years.

I can't think of a better hobby then beer consumption :*)
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Yoda » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:20 pm

J35J wrote:So people "really" like the taste of beer? This isn't just a list of beers that are the least, worst tasting just to get drunk? I admit I will drink a few beers from time to time but for the most part I have to choke the first couple down before the taste starts to go away! ;-7 :-°

I love vodka but without OJ.

Cold beer on a hot day is hard to beat (Margaritas are up there). Plus I feel like I have more control when I drink beers. With liquor, it is much harder.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Coppermine » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:45 pm

Here's my recommendation if you want to try new beers... drink local!

I can't stress this enough, but everyone should be supporting their local breweries. I'm lucky enough to live close to some great breweries, like Troeg's, Appalachian Brewing, Weyerbacher, Victory and Wild Goose.

Find the breweries close to you. Use websites like beeradvocate.com (my personal favorite), pubcrawler.com or just got to Google maps and type in "breweries near wherever." You might be surprised how many there are... and brew pubs are popping up everywhere! You can usually get a great meal and some local beer all at once. Visit the local breweries' websites to find out where they ship to, and patronize the stores who are smart enough to carry it.

Support your local brewery!
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Y`s Guy » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:40 pm

I'll take some Vodka and OJ and I'm set.....now that tastes "good"!

This where that big-ass Milwaukee's Best can comes down and smashes J35J into a pulp.
My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 277)
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk