100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Beer recommendation thread

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Beer recommendation thread

Postby pokerplaya » Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:44 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:
Mike Fetters wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:im not into those weirdo freak yuppie beers. i enjoy a nice cold corona with a lime. simple, relatively cheap. cant beat it.

:-? Corona with lime is a yuppie beer.

definitely not where im from.

Have to agree. While I enjoy a Corona from time to time and I don't care if it is considered a "yuppie beer" or not, it definitely carries that stigma...
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Snakes Gould » Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:25 pm

must be a regional thing...here in philly, its a pretty regular request. it seems like miller lite has become the default beer, and then for those who want somethin different its either a heinken, yuengling, or corona.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby pokerplaya » Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:33 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:must be a regional thing...here in philly, its a pretty regular request. it seems like miller lite has become the default beer, and then for those who want somethin different its either a heinken, yuengling, or corona.

Well I'm only 2 hours from you. :-b

But I agree....it's a regular request in NY too. Here Bud/Miller lite is the default request, and Corona/Heineken also is the beer for those who want something different. I guess what I meant is that most of those who are requesting the Corona's are those most would define as Yuppies.... :-b
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:08 pm

Like ACS and Cu, I'm pretty picky with beer to say the least.

I'm not really a pilsner or lager drinker myself and my taste resides more in American strong ales, Belgian ales, Russian imperial stouts, and IPA's. Sounds like you'd be more likely to get into Pilsner Urquell, Stella Artois, San Miguel, or Paulaner Munich lager.

I'd recommend a Stone IPA if you're looking for a good transition beer into something stronger. I believe it's widely distributed (at least it is on the West Coast; I can get it in my local supermarket even). There's also a wheat beer from Avery called the Calypso Wheat ale, which is light and refreshing, but far from being their flagship beer. Stone of course makes the Arrogant Bastard which is absolutely superb, but might be a little too much for someone whose tongue is more acquainted to lagers or wheat beer types.

A good Belgian ale that's quite strong in ABV, but doesn't have quite a strong alcoholic taste is St. Bernardus Abt 12. It tastes like caramel apples in my opinion with a little raisin character, but I think it reflects off the kind of creme cake I was eating along with it...quite nice though. Closest thing to the Westvleteren 12 as there is in the U.S. perhaps, but the Rochefort 10 is absolutely the closest thing to it, though just as rare to find. The Westy 12 was the first beer that got me into trying microbrews 5 years ago and is still truly the Holy Grail in my mind.

My favorite stouts have to be Stone RIS, Alesmith Speedway Stout, Old Rasputin, Dark Star RIS, and the Mikkeler X.

Hope that helped.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 677)

Postby pokerplaya » Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:19 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:Like ACS and Cu, I'm pretty picky with beer to say the least.

I'm not really a pilsner or lager drinker myself and my taste resides more in American strong ales, Belgian ales, Russian imperial stouts, and IPA's. Sounds like you'd be more likely to get into Pilsner Urquell, Stella Artois, San Miguel, or Paulaner Munich lager.

I'd recommend a Stone IPA if you're looking for a good transition beer into something stronger. I believe it's widely distributed (at least it is on the West Coast; I can get it in my local supermarket even). There's also a wheat beer from Avery called the Calypso Wheat ale, which is light and refreshing, but far from being their flagship beer. Stone of course makes the Arrogant Bastard which is absolutely superb, but might be a little too much for someone whose tongue is more acquainted to lagers or wheat beer types.

A good Belgian ale that's quite strong in ABV, but doesn't have quite a strong alcoholic taste is St. Bernardus Abt 12. It tastes like caramel apples in my opinion with a little raisin character, but I think it reflects off the kind of creme cake I was eating along with it...quite nice though. Closest thing to the Westvleteren 12 as there is in the U.S. perhaps, but the Rochefort 10 is absolutely the closest thing to it, though just as rare to find. The Westy 12 was the first beer that got me into trying microbrews 5 years ago and is still truly the Holy Grail in my mind.

My favorite stouts have to be Stone RIS, Alesmith Speedway Stout, Old Rasputin, Dark Star RIS, and the Mikkeler X.

Hope that helped.

Not to hijack, but I think I probably have a beer palette like yours...anything that you'd recommend? I'm looking for something new.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

Postby IllinoisBandit » Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:15 pm

Local Favorite: Midtown Brown - Boscos (Memphis)
- I love this beer. If you're ever in Memphis give it a try. Give Yazoo a try if you're in Nashville.

They're not the best in the world, but I love 'em anyway: Miller High Life, Dos Equis, Shiner Bock, a number of Sam Adams variants, and the ultimate dive beer - PBR

Easily Acquired All-time Favorite: Newcastle Brown Ale (any brown ale really)

I like a number of microbrews. I'll try any brown ale, IPA, or porter.
IllinoisBandit
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:38 pm

pokerplaya wrote:Not to hijack, but I think I probably have a beer palette like yours...anything that you'd recommend? I'm looking for something new.

I probably said all of my recommendations. :-b

I think some of the beers I mention are just regionally distributed and so, some of the beers I do recommend are probably rare finds from your neck in the woods. For instance, microbrews from Three Floyds and Dogfish Head in the East are quite rare here in California. However, California is gifted with great microbreweries, notably Stone, Lost Abbey, Russian River, Alesmith, and Sierra Nevada (which is kind of becoming the Boston Beer/Sam Adams of the West).

In addition, I'm thankful that there's a beer mecca 5 miles away from my house called Naja's Place, that has about 200-300 varieties of American microbrews and Belgian imports. I found this place several months ago and it's practically my commissary for taking in top-notch beers as well as some very rare, exquisite ones. It's worth noting I've had the best Arrogant Bastard by far here. They have this Double Bastard, which is like AB on steroids, but aged in a whiskey barrel, I believe, in the backroom. Unbelievable how vast and how rare their collection is.

So with that said, starting off with a microbrewery that tends to have more widespread distribution: Sierra Nevada. One of my favorite seasonal brews by Sierra Nevada is the Bigfoot ale, made in the barleywine style. Like all barleywines, it tends to get better with age. I had a 2005 bottle at Naja's and compare it with the 2007 one, and the former is so much more enjoyable in my opinion. In Winter, they come out with the Celebration IPA, which is like a supercharged SN Pale Ale. Best barleywine I've had is the Alesmith Old Numbskull, which can be tricky to find like all Alesmiths, except in a few select pubs/bars.

My favorite IPA of all time is Pliny the Elder from Russian River. Well, actually, a close second. I've had Pliny the Younger on draft at Naja's twice and it's absolutely superb. They both have such an interesting array of flavors (think all kinds of citrus paired up with hints of tropical fruit), but the Younger has this lingering bitter finish that distinguishes the two, I think. Unfortunately, the don't have the Younger on tap anymore, but the Elder is a mainstay. I also like the Avery Maharaja, Dogfish Head 90 Min. IPA, Stone Ruination IPA, Bear Republic X, and Racer 5 when it comes to IPA.

I haven't delved too much into American strong ales, but one of my favorites as well as AB is the Alesmith Evil Dead Red as well as the Decadence 10th year anniversary version from Alesmith also.

As for Belgian beers, I think Chimay is perhaps the most mainstream of Belgian Trappist breweries. If there are 3 places in Hollywood that serve Chimay within a 5-10 mile radius, good chance Chimay could be more accessible in your area compared to other Trappist brews. Most serve Chimay Rouge, but the Chimay Bleue is their flagship beer. Harder to find the Bleue. I already mentioned St. Bernardus Abt 12, but it's quite commonplace like the Chimay; not bad for a Belgian beer that's consistently ranked top 10 in the Belgian ale category.

As for stouts, I'd also look into Three Floyds Dark Lord RIS, Dogfish Head RIS, and Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout. Rare in California, but methinks you can probably find them with more frequency in the Midwest and East. They're all very nice indeed, including those I already mentioned, if you're really into beers that have such a coffee/chocolate flavor punch with the viscosity of molasses/motor oil. I always hear about the Narke Kaggen Stormaktsporter being the Holy Grail when it comes to RIS, but that'll be something I'll look forward to if/when I go to Sweden. But then again, my English uncle had sent me a Mikkeler X from Denmark to go with the Dark Star from England I won from a bet I made over Man United beating his Chelsea to the Premiership title...so, maybe I'll wage a bet for the Stormaktsporter this year. ;-D
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 677)

Postby Yoda » Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:07 pm

Any IPA is good for me.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:31 am

A couple of my favorites are Rogue's American Amber Ale, Sam Adam's Black Lager, and one of acs's favorites, Easy Street Wheat. Check out Beer Advocate. ;-D
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Y`s Guy » Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:04 pm

Playing With Fire...

I am no brew connoisseur but I have imbibed quite a few tasty suds in my life. In fact I am rip-roaring djrunk right now and am happy to pass on a few faves. I have no idea where you live but you should be able to find Blue Moon. It's an American-made Belgian White Ale. It's a bit heavy for hot days but it is worth a sampling. Very good stuff.

Frome Mexico, try Negro Modelo. It comes in a few styles from light-bodied to lager. I love this one and it's why I never drink Corona. This one trumps it big time. And you should find it anywhere. Great in summer.

Now that the fall is here I am excited about the pumpkin-flavored stuff coming out. This thread reminded me that the time has come to go shopping. My first target will be my fave...The Shipyard Brewery's (ME) Pumpkinhead Ale. Thie batches can be hit or miss and I have been lucky. Some on-line reviews have not been flattering but I love it.
I will be looking for Dogfish Head's Punkin Ale. Also, Saranac Pumpkin Ale as well as Southampton Pumpkin Ale.

As for OctoberFests...I stick my man, Sam Adams!!
My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 277)
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk