Carlos Pena Next Year - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Carlos Pena Next Year

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Carlos Pena Next Year

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:30 pm

Another Blown Save wrote:It would be interesting to see if the Drays would try to move him this offseason.
I bet they could get a decent amount back considering the poor 1B FA this offseason.

They are not looking to move him. We own his rights for 2 more years, he loves TB (not sure why), and we have no one i the minors to replace him at 1B.

I honestly think he may get more RBI next season with the lineup being better and having more experiance.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby rjforlife » Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:42 am

He is making a really ridiculous case to be ranked very high next season. There flashes in the pan but this season has been ridiculous. 42 HR 116 RBI. Those are crazy good numbers. No speed to speak of but with 94 runs and a respectable .278 average makes him awfully tempting. So the question remains....where does he rank next season?

1. Pujols
2. Fielder
3. Howard
4. Ortiz

Those 4 are pretty locked into the top 4 spots, however you have it. Then you have

Morneau
Pena
Berkman
Tex
D. Lee
Hafner
A. Gonzalez

to be honest I have it like this:

5. Morneau
6. Tex
7. Pena
8. Berkman
9. Hafner
10. A. Gonzalez
11. D. Lee

I know Berkman and Hafner have solid track records, but Hafner has been awful this season and Berkman doesn't exactly inspire confidence. I'd rather take a shot on Pena, where if he even comes close to repeating he beats those guys, and even if he falters somewhat, it seems unlikely that he falls off the planet totally.

Anyone else with a 1-11 ranking id love to see where and if Pena fits in.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 738)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dclark0699 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:48 pm

1. Pujols
2. Howard
3. Fielder
4. Morneau
5. Hafner (I think he'll bounce back...and the Indians lineup doesn't hurt.)
6. Ortiz (I've heard he needs off-season knee surgery and I'm not sure how he will hold up. If healthy he is easily 2/3 spots higher.)
7. Pena
8. Tex
9. Berkman
10. Adr. Gon.
11. D. Lee
12. Laroche
13. Helton
dclark0699
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:36 pm

I really, really do hope that Pena can build on this year but for some reason I cannot get Adrian Beltre out of my head when I think of Pena right now.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby RynMan » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:53 am

I won't be taking the chance unless he falls quite a lot. There are many more reliable options that don't carry the risk of falling off the map.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby StlSluggers » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:21 am

7. Pena
8. Tex

Really?

StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby J35J » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:24 am

Pena is getting alot of love....Its warrented for this year, sure, but to bank on him in the future is waayyy to scary for me to do. This guy was nothing more than a parttime .250 hitter until his career year this year. This guys floor is sooo much lower than any of the other top 10 1B.... there is no way I'll put him in my top 10. Thats just me though, i guess.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 363)

Postby rookies and cream » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:56 am

Pena just cracks my top 10. I, also, will not pay for a career year. Been burned by this before with Ensberg.

1. Pujols (Round 1)
2. Howard (Round 1)
3. Ortiz (Round 1/2)
4. Fielder (Round 1/2)
5. Hafner (Round 2)
6. Morneau (Round 2)
7. Berkman (Round 2/3)
8. Tex (Round 3)
9. D Lee (Round 3/4/5)
10. Pena (Round 5/6)
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 45)

Postby Grounded Polo » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:43 pm

I'd much rather have Tex over Morneau and Hafner next season. As an owner of all 3 this season, Hafner was cancerous all season, Morneau completely vanished in the second half and has become worse than Hafner, whereas Tex has been huge since going to Atlanta because he's seeing alot more balls to hit now compared to Texas, when pitchers wisely threw him crap because instead of Francoeur and McCann hitting after him, he had Sammy Sosa and Marlon Byrd. Byrd has no power and Sosa is all or nothing. Tex has been a slow starter in the first half for the past 2 seasons but he's still a reliable .290/30/100 bare minimum and the production won't tail off when it matters and who knows, maybe that will change now that he's hitting in the heart of a competitive lineup and not the last quality hitter until it returns to the top of the order.

I'd rank them 5. Tex 6. Morneau 7. Berkman 8. Hafner. Hafner has been completely enigmatic because he still draws tons of walks like last season and guys like Sizemore and Asdrubal Cabrera hitting in front of him, he just doesn't produce anything and his production has remained at the same level all season. Morneau's RBI success is completely dependent upon Mauer's health because they have a revolving door of crap at the top of the order. Tex plays the third best offense in the NL, behind two teams that play in bandboxes (Philadelphia and Colorado).
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Yoda » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:50 pm

Haven't done list but top 10 1B for Pena seems really high. Even if he does crack my top 10, I seriously doubt I will end up with him unless he falls much lower than where I think he will be picked (top 100 probably).
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers