Carlos Pena Next Year - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Carlos Pena Next Year

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Carlos Pena Next Year

Postby KrunK » Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:41 am

Where do you think he will go among 1st baseman next year? He has somehow quietly managed to jack 37 home runs, which has him tied with Ryan Howard for the #2 spot in HR's for 1st baseman. After tonight he's sitting at #2 in RBI's for 1B with 105. He's essentially the poor mans Prince or Pujols (minus the avg for pujols) at this point. I know how everyone is afraid of players that have an amazing first full season (bruan), but he has been consistently cranking out solid numbers the entire season and is a Top 5 1B at this point. He's definitely been my biggest Waiver Wire gem next to Braun this season.
Credit to smoovethug on the sig
KrunK
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Carlos Pena Next Year

Postby RynMan » Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:57 am

For the majority, he has played in two pretty good pitcher's parks (Oakland & Detroit). I don't think there is any doubt that his power is real, although I don't think he will top this number again. He's one of those low average guys who walks a lot with decent power. I think you can expect .250-.270 with 30HR, next year.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Snakes Gould » Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:20 am

KrunK wrote:Where do you think he will go among 1st baseman next year? He has somehow quietly managed to jack 37 home runs, which has him tied with Ryan Howard for the #2 spot in HR's for 1st baseman. After tonight he's sitting at #2 in RBI's for 1B with 105. He's essentially the poor mans Prince or Pujols (minus the avg for pujols) at this point. I know how everyone is afraid of players that have an amazing first full season (bruan), but he has been consistently cranking out solid numbers the entire season and is a Top 5 1B at this point. He's definitely been my biggest Waiver Wire gem next to Braun this season.

this isnt his first full season. ill compare him to richie sexson of a few years back. high power numbers, low average.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby kimchi_chigae » Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:52 am

Think the D-Rays miss Travis Lee yet? !+)

It's crazy to think Pena could finish the year with 40+ HRs and 100+ RBIs. He didn't have a Major League job in the beginning of the season, did he? :-°

I will not rank him in the Top 5 1B for 2008. Off the top of my head, I'd take Pujols, Ortiz, Fielder, Howard, Morneau, Teixeira, Hafner, Derrek Lee, Victor Martinez and probably even Lance Berkman over him next year. And I'm sure I'm missing someone on that list. However, I'm not calling him a one year wonder. Pena was a highly touted prospect who appears to have taken a little longer than usual to figure things out. He always posted great numbers in Triple-A, but struggled against Major League pitching. When I think Carlos Pena now, I think Brandon Phillips. :-)
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 211)

Postby Surfs up » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:47 am

Hes a better avaerage hitter then Sexson. Pena went for $5.00 and Sexson went for $28.00.If Sexson bounces back in 2008 he should hit a few more dingers . BUT will kill your average. For the difference I'd take a chance on Pena.The Brandon Phillips comparison is a good one.
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 191)

Postby Snakes Gould » Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:25 pm

yes the brandon phillips comparison is a good one except, pena was never highly regarded for being a good contact hitter. he's bascially a .275 35-40 hr 100 rbi type guys i guess. theres no way id feel completely comfortable with him as my primary 1b.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby tuff_gong » Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:53 pm

I think Pena will be a good guy to take during the middle rounds next year. Definitely a pretty decent source cheap power.

Well that's just like, your opinion man.
tuff_gong
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby KrunK » Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:42 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:
KrunK wrote:Where do you think he will go among 1st baseman next year? He has somehow quietly managed to jack 37 home runs, which has him tied with Ryan Howard for the #2 spot in HR's for 1st baseman. After tonight he's sitting at #2 in RBI's for 1B with 105. He's essentially the poor mans Prince or Pujols (minus the avg for pujols) at this point. I know how everyone is afraid of players that have an amazing first full season (bruan), but he has been consistently cranking out solid numbers the entire season and is a Top 5 1B at this point. He's definitely been my biggest Waiver Wire gem next to Braun this season.

this isnt his first full season. ill compare him to richie sexson of a few years back. high power numbers, low average.

Oh yeah just saw that, I always forget that sportsline only shows their past 3 seasons unless you hit career stats.
Credit to smoovethug on the sig
KrunK
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby RynMan » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:40 pm

KrunK wrote:Oh yeah just saw that, I always forget that sportsline only shows their past 3 seasons unless you hit career stats.

That Sportsline is a trap for young players, alright.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby masterpinky0509 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:13 pm

I'm uneasy about the fact that his HR/FB is like 28%, which is significantly higher than most hitters. It could be an indication of raw power (Howard has a similar number this year, and was like 30-38% the last two seasons), but I don't believe he has as much strength as Howard. Pujols, for instance, is very steadily around 20-22% in this category.

I see Pena declining to .265, 30 HR, 90 RBI next season. That has some use in fantasy, but I would NOT take him in the mid-rounds. I'd much rather have an overlooked guy like Paul Konerko, who's proven he can hit for a steadier .280 average and about the same amount of production in HR/RBI.
masterpinky0509
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers