Ichiro: "Once I turn 40 I can become a pitcher..." - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ichiro: "Once I turn 40 I can become a pitcher..."

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Ichiro: "Once I turn 40 I can become a pitcher..."

Postby Bwanna » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:16 pm

These quotes made me laugh. I've highlighted a few of my favorites below...

Steven Hanson wrote:“Smells like garlic.” A compilation of Ichiro’s best quotes

Ichiro is in a class all his own, not only as an athlete but as a human being. And in the fourth inning of yesterday’s game in New York, I realized why.

Caught in a rundown between first and second base, instead of submitting himself and slowing down in defeat, right as he was about to get tagged he peeled off and immediately starting jogging towards the Mariners’ dugout. “I don’t like to be touched,” he said after the game.

For those unfamiliar with how unique of a person Ichiro truly is, a few of his most memorable quotes:

* On his impressions of Korea: “It smells like garlic.”

* On his physical appearance: “I’m told I either look bigger than I do on television or that I look smaller than I look on television. No one seems to think I look the same size.”

* On how to break out of a slump: “If I’m in a slump, I ask myself for advice.”

* On the Japanese character: “The Japanese have a strong tendency to suppress their own feelings. That’s the Japanese character. They kill their own emotions.”

* On Joe Torre game-planning for him: “If that’s true (Torre’s comment, ‘Don’t let Ichiro beat you. He is the key to Seattle’s offense.’) it would give me great joy. But I don’t believe it.”

* On why he missed a fly ball: “The ball became the same color as the sky. So, I wasn’t able to see it… I was sending mental signals for the ball not to come my way, because during that time of day it’s impossible for me to see the ball so I lacked mental signals. I lacked in that area. Usually, I don’t send mental signals. So, because this is the first time, I thought, please don’t come my way.”

* On re-signing with Seattle: “[My dog] said, ‘Woof, woof, woof,’ which meant, ‘Stay, stay, stay.’ Of course, I listened.”

* On athletes and girls: “Tiger is a great golfer, but … when you say athlete, I think of Carl Lewis. When you talk about (golfers or race-car drivers), I don’t want to see them run. It’s the same if you were to meet a beautiful girl and go bowling. If she’s an ugly bowler, you are going to be disappointed.”

* On his plans for the night: “I’m going to throw a party tonight.”

* On words he dislikes: “Personally, I don’t like the term ’success.’ It’s too arbitrary and too relative a thing. It’s usually someone else’s definition, not yours.”

* On facing Taiwan and Korea in the World Baseball Classic: “I will make them see that they won’t beat Japan for the next 30 years.”

* On speeding up the game: “Yesterday when I played, inside my head I said ‘I want to go home quickly,’ and I swung and I was able to get a hit because I wanted to go home. Today I thought, ‘I want to hurry up and get something to eat,’ and I swung and got a hit today.”

* On his personal battles with Dice-K: “I hope he arouses the fire that’s dormant in the innermost recesses of my soul. I plan to face him with the zeal of a challenger.”

* On his physical toughness: “I’ll walk on my hands before I use crutches.”

* On what scoring runs early does to opponents: “To be able to get three runs like that, I’m sure allowed us to give our opponents major mental damage.”

* On performance-enhancing drugs: “When you take steroids, it’s not as if wings grow out of your back, and you start flying all over the place and stealing home runs.”

* On Pete Rose: “No one can deny his 4,000-plus hits. The gambling thing is something different. On the front of his Hall of Fame plaque they should put all of his records and amazing feats. When you flip it over, it should say, ‘He gambled on baseball.’ But I would vote for him.”

* On movies: “I like “Miss Congeniality.” I like Sandra Bullock. And “A Beautiful Mind.” I also like “Face/Off.”

* On visiting Cleveland: “To tell the truth, I’m not excited to go to Cleveland, but we have to. If I ever saw myself saying I’m excited going to Cleveland, I’d punch myself in the face, because I’m lying.”

* On getting booed: “I actually welcome boos as part of the game. I really love to see that from my opponent’s fans. Last night, I think that those fans didn’t boo hard enough.”

* On becoming a pitcher: “Once I turn 40 I can become a pitcher. I’m kind of serious about it. But I’ll have to learn to throw a knuckleball. Right now, I could be a ‘normal’ pitcher, who can top out at 95 mph with a fastball.”

* On himself: “I’m unique. I’m a very rare kind of player.”
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st]
123Innings '08 [1st/1st], '09 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/4th], '12 [4th/2nd]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Cool 3.0 '08 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 271)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Ichiro: "Once I turn 40 I can become a pitcher..."

Postby Big Pimpin » Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:09 pm

He's a riot. Yesterday he got caught in a rundown, and instead of running around trying to avoid the tag, he just turned and ran towards the dugout. When asked about it, he said, “I hate being touched by other people so rather than being touched I’d rather run away from them.”

But really, who can blame him? I wouldn't want a Yankee touching me either. :-o :-D
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby RynMan » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:04 pm

LMAO. Outstanding. :-D
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:06 pm

I would love to see Ichiro on the mound. ;-D
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby nsulham » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:08 pm

I love Ichi. I only wish he'd speak more english in his interviews than he does, though I can understand he's more comfortable speaking his native tongue.

"I'd punch myself in the face..."

Priceless :-b
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Danger » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:12 pm

* On visiting Cleveland: “To tell the truth, I’m not excited to go to Cleveland, but we have to. If I ever saw myself saying I’m excited going to Cleveland, I’d punch myself in the face, because I’m lying.”

:-b

Who can blame him, you can only see the RnR HOF so many times :-b
Danger
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ultrazero » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:07 pm

oh come on. Some of these are lost in translation.
ultrazero
College Coach
College Coach

Postby JTWood » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:21 pm

ultrazero wrote:oh come on. Some of these are lost in translation.

Seems like they were found to me. These are great! :-D ;-D
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Snakes Gould » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:20 am

these quotes are awesome.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby WC » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:12 am

Raise your hand if you want to hear a conversation between Ichiro and Rickey!
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=304256
Let's Go Bacon Pants!
WC
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers