Would you try this strategy? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Would you try this strategy?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Would you try this strategy?

Postby issyg67 » Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:21 pm

In my league, a 10-team 5x5 AL-only league, Willie Harris only qualifies as an outfielder for our draft. Of course, he's projected as being the White Sox starting second baseman.

For argument's sake, let's say he goes through Spring Training as will be the starting second baseman on openind day.

In my league, a player is eligibile for a position once he has played three games at that position during the season. So Harris should become 2B-eligible very soon.

What do you think about this strategy:

Get Harris in the draft, for no more than $5-$7, grab a $1 second baseman and then after the first week of the season drop the dollar guy and switch Harris over.

One proble with this is I'll now have a hole in the outfield.

The reason I'm thinking of doing this is because Soriano is gone, and I don't want to pay $30 to get Boone (I live in Seattle). There's not much in the AL after those two guys.

So, would you do this?
issyg67
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Would you try this strategy?

Postby swarmee » Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:35 pm

issyg67 wrote:Get Harris in the draft, for no more than $5-$7, grab a $1 second baseman and then after the first week of the season drop the dollar guy and switch Harris over.

Well, I guess it depends on who you can get as a $1 OF. I know a lot of people are planning on using Jose Reyes at second base, so they're drafting him and either putting him at MI or U right now. Spending $5 on Harris seems steep to me, even if he qualifies at 2B, but that may be because I'm not used to seeing AL-only prices. But your strategy is good as long as you can get a reasonable outfielder off the waiver wire.
Another Year, Another Championship. I'm 2 for 2.
swarmee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby KolbSaves » Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:47 pm

sounds like a good plan

that or get warren morris and win your league
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Apex » Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:48 pm

Maybe this isn't an option based on your league's rules, but can you just punt those three games and not have a 2B for a couple of days? Obviously, it would be important to know for sure whether he was going to play 3 games at 2B early in the season, but it might be worth thinking about.
Apex
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mikcou » Thu Feb 12, 2004 5:13 pm

Apex wrote:Maybe this isn't an option based on your league's rules, but can you just punt those three games and not have a 2B for a couple of days? Obviously, it would be important to know for sure whether he was going to play 3 games at 2B early in the season, but it might be worth thinking about.

interesting idea if there is no rule against it I would just use that
mikcou
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby jskidder » Thu Feb 12, 2004 5:49 pm

i like the strategy, but is willie harris the answer at 2b??
jskidder
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby kentx12 » Thu Feb 12, 2004 7:27 pm

Apex wrote:Maybe this isn't an option based on your league's rules, but can you just punt those three games and not have a 2B for a couple of days? Obviously, it would be important to know for sure whether he was going to play 3 games at 2B early in the season, but it might be worth thinking about.

I was thinking the same thing

There will come a day when Barry Bonds leaves baseball, and everything about the game will be the better for it.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby issyg67 » Thu Feb 12, 2004 9:39 pm

Maybe this isn't an option based on your league's rules, but can you just punt those three games and not have a 2B for a couple of days? Obviously, it would be important to know for sure whether he was going to play 3 games at 2B early in the season, but it might be worth thinking about.

Nope, must have a full roster of position players on draft day.

i like the strategy, but is willie harris the answer at 2b??

The strategis assuming Harris has not sucked during spring training and has solidified himself as the White Sox's second baseman for the season.

Is he the best option in the AL? No way. But Soriano's not available (he's being kept) and Boone will be overpriced (the league is in Seattle). Michael Young is being kept. Adam Kennedy is being kept.

What other options are out there in the AL for second base? Luis Rivas? Mark Ellis? Pokey Reese? Orlando Hudson? Baltimore is a mess with both Jerry Hairston and Brian Roberts.

I'd rather spend $6 on Harris than $10-$15 on any of those guys.

Someone mentioned earlier that Harris at $5-$7 is a bit oo expensive. It might be, especially for a mixed league, but guys with the potential for steals always go for a little more than they should in my league.

Thanks for the input so far, ooks like its something I might try.
issyg67
College Coach
College Coach

Postby AuburnTigers » Thu Feb 12, 2004 9:49 pm

jskidder wrote:i like the strategy, but is willie harris the answer at 2b??

I agree. Is there not a better 2b available?
AuburnTigers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Return to Baseball Leftovers