Eric Gagne - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Eric Gagne

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Eric Gagne

Postby Pete O » Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:21 pm

In my league we issue 1.25 points per week in the following pitching categories: Wins, Whip, ERA, Strikeouts, Saves, and Save Percentage. In this format, what round in a 10 team H2H format does Gagne belong?
Pete O
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby J35J » Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:27 pm

3rd
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 358)

Re: Eric Gagne

Postby swarmee » Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:45 pm

Pete O wrote:In my league we issue 1.25 points per week in the following pitching categories: Wins, Whip, ERA, Strikeouts, Saves, and Save Percentage. In this format, what round in a 10 team H2H format does Gagne belong?

Good question. Since it's head to head, he ends up helping VERY little in ERA and WHIP each week, since you'll probably have a bunch of starting logging a bunch of innings. But then save percentage really helps out his value. I'd pass on him until the 3rd round and then pick him up, but make sure that I got one/two of {Gagne, Smoltz, Rivera, Wagner, Foulke, Dotel}. If I get two of those, I wouldn't bother getting another closer the rest of the draft.
Another Year, Another Championship. I'm 2 for 2.
swarmee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby mikcou » Thu Feb 12, 2004 5:01 pm

I agree third round is about the right time for Gagne
mikcou
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby KolbSaves » Thu Feb 12, 2004 5:04 pm

I'm a little leary of the steroid accusations. Just a little though.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby kentx12 » Thu Feb 12, 2004 7:16 pm

I would agree with everyone else and not suggest to take him before the 3rd round but I bet someone in your league grabs him late in the 1st or early 2n.

There will come a day when Barry Bonds leaves baseball, and everything about the game will be the better for it.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby RynMan » Thu Feb 12, 2004 9:26 pm

kentx12 wrote:I would agree with everyone else and not suggest to take him before the 3rd round but I bet someone in your league grabs him late in the 1st or early 2n.

i dunno why people do that. is a closer really worth a first round pick???i dont think so....even if it IS gagne.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby AuburnTigers » Thu Feb 12, 2004 9:57 pm

I think he will be drafted mid to late second round, maybe early third. I would pass on him that early and try to grab some guys like Wagner, Foulke, Smoltz, or Rivera a little bit later. I am not doubting Gagne, just saying he will be drafted before its wise to take him
AuburnTigers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Manutd016 » Thu Feb 12, 2004 10:10 pm

swarmee wrote: Since it's head to head, he ends up helping VERY little in ERA and WHIP each week, since you'll probably have a bunch of starting logging a bunch of innings.

I'm just curious why does he help out little in ERA and WHIP. If he throws three innings in a week with no earned runs isn't his era 0. doesn't that help? Or i am just forgetting something?
--------------> PANSY!

I'm the artist formely known as Manutd016
Manutd016
College Coach
College Coach

Postby icepak » Thu Feb 12, 2004 10:51 pm

Manutd016 wrote:
swarmee wrote: Since it's head to head, he ends up helping VERY little in ERA and WHIP each week, since you'll probably have a bunch of starting logging a bunch of innings.

I'm just curious why does he help out little in ERA and WHIP. If he throws three innings in a week with no earned runs isn't his era 0. doesn't that help? Or i am just forgetting something?

But say you got 3 other starters logging 5 starts total in that week, and couple more closers that's about 40 innings (very conservative inning total). Gagne's contribution is only 7.5%
icepak
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers