Matt Antonelli - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Matt Antonelli

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Matt Antonelli

Postby chinst » Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:53 pm

I've read a bit about him in this forum, but I was curious as to what the time line on this guy looks like.
chinst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Matt Antonelli

Postby J35J » Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:09 pm

Wr, Marver or someone else that follows the Pads would know best but If I were to guess I would say all-star break next year would be the earliest he would see time. He's only gotten 180 ABs in AA this year and I would figure he may start the year there next year as well and move up to AAA fairly quickly if he starts off well. Then I would imagine he would play half or most of the year in AAA before being called up. I'd guess all-star break would be the earliest and probably a Sept call up next year.......of course this is just me guessing. I'm not sure what the plans are for him and it also depends on how he plays next year as well.

With that said, I really like his value as a 2B now! ;-D
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 620)

Re: Matt Antonelli

Postby davidmarver » Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:36 am

The Padres have had varying philosophies about when to call up their prospects over the past half-decade, so I feel like anything is possible.

However, I think the Padres will re-sign Giles -- even if they don't pick up the option -- to give Antonelli a tour of Portland. Personally, I think Antonelli could succeed now in MLB due to his plate discipline and hitting lines thus far. But, this is just his second season as a regular second-baseman (remember, he was drafted as a 3B) so his D may not be ready yet.

All told, I think he'll see time in the majors next season. Whether that's as the opening day starter (which I would pin at about 25%) or not remains to be seen. Also, don't forget that the Padres had no problem with Barfield being their major league starter at age 22. It wouldn't be entirely new if the Padres had a prospect straight from AA grace the lineup either. Headley was called up earlier this year straight from AA, and Jake Peavy came straight up from AA when he was originally called up.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Return to Minor League & College Baseball