The 2007 College Football Thread - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

The 2007 College Football Thread

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: The 2007 College Football Thread

Postby knapplc » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:36 pm

And for the record, I'm a Husker fan living in Lincoln, so take that praise from "the enemy." I'm not happy the way KU manhandled my team this year, but I'm really proud of you guys for how you've turned the program around. After all the bleak years you've had in football, this is pretty cool, I think.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:55 am

knapplc wrote:And for the record, I'm a Husker fan living in Lincoln, so take that praise from "the enemy." I'm not happy the way KU manhandled my team this year, but I'm really proud of you guys for how you've turned the program around. After all the bleak years you've had in football, this is pretty cool, I think.

It must feel nice to give props to a team that can actually play defense. ;-D
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Big Pimpin » Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:17 am

Mugrila wrote:my high school ran a better offense

And to think, you went to an all-girls school. :-B

I am sad to say that I have watched maybe a grand total of 30 minutes of the bowls this year. Oh well, at least there hasn't been a ton of drama this year that I've missed out on. Plus Florida lost, which is always nice. :-b
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Mugrila » Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:21 am

bigh0rt wrote:
Mugrila wrote:I think Beamer and staff get the loss for this one. Defense was ok, but special teams got burned a few times, and my high school ran a better offense. Give a ton of credit to Mangino and co., they certainly had a great gameplan and did what they needed.

Oh well, hope the Seahawks can salvage my week.

You can't ask the defense to play any better than they did. The offense gave up 7. One of KU's drives started on VT's 2 yard line, and another started in the Red Zone as well. Otherwise, Kansas was kept in check for the better part of the game. I had forgotten, however, just how terrible V Tech's offense is. Why Brandon Ore was not given in heavy doses other than the TD drive that ended the first half, I have no idea, nor do I know why Tyrod Taylor did not get more snaps. I mean I know he threw a Pick 6 and was getting sacked early, but Glennon is just terrible. He should've had one if not two more picks than the two he threw. Was bailed out on a Pass Interference call once, and by his receiver making a ridiculous catch breaking off his route and working back against the defensive back another time.

Exactly what I would have written had I been able to better articulate late last night. I think Stinespring (OC) needs to go since he has never shown he can call a good complete game; however, it seems Beamer is too loyal. Also going for the onside kick with over 2 mins left, 2 timeouts, and our defense just blows my mind. I was pretty livid as soon as I saw them do that and pretty much knew it was over.

I really do like Mangino and love what he's doing with that program; seems like a real stand-up guy which is rare in college football these days.
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby Mugrila » Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:22 am

Big Pimpin wrote:
Mugrila wrote:my high school ran a better offense

And to think, you went to an all-girls school. :-B

Damn straight. ;-) :-D
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby mweir145 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:25 am

knapplc wrote:And for the record, I'm a Husker fan living in Lincoln, so take that praise from "the enemy." I'm not happy the way KU manhandled my team this year, but I'm really proud of you guys for how you've turned the program around. After all the bleak years you've had in football, this is pretty cool, I think.

It's been a great season. I wasn't exactly thinking about the school having any football success upon deciding to go here last year, but it happened. Hopefully Mangino can build some kind of a program that can keep us respectable in this sport for years to come.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby mweir145 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:27 am

Mugrila wrote:I really do like Mangino and love what he's doing with that program; seems like a real stand-up guy which is rare in college football these days.

As do I, I'm very glad he's our coach. ;-D
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby Tavish » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:24 am

Being a MU fan in the middle of Jayhawk country it has been hard the last few days to not rain on the parade. Great season for the Jayhawks and I hope they enjoy it over the offseason. I'm really happy for them, mainly because they represented the Big 12 well in the Bowl. At least they didn't implode like OU did. Next year is going to be a different story in Lawrence, if they finish better than 6-5 I will be surprised.

The 5 expected losses:

@ South Florida
Texas Tech
@ OU
Texas
@ MU in Arrowhead

If they do have another great season in 2008 then you won't here anyone, even Tiger fans, saying they don't deserve a BCS spot.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 34)

Postby mweir145 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:09 pm

Tavish wrote:Being a MU fan in the middle of Jayhawk country it has been hard the last few days to not rain on the parade. Great season for the Jayhawks and I hope they enjoy it over the offseason. I'm really happy for them, mainly because they represented the Big 12 well in the Bowl. At least they didn't implode like OU did. Next year is going to be a different story in Lawrence, if they finish better than 6-5 I will be surprised.

The 5 expected losses:

@ South Florida
Texas Tech
@ OU
Texas
@ MU in Arrowhead

If they do have another great season in 2008 then you won't here anyone, even Tiger fans, saying they don't deserve a BCS spot.

I'm getting pretty tired of all these predictions about the KU football team, especially those from MU fans. Aren't you guys tired of being wrong? I heard for weeks how big a fraud KU was because they lost in a close game to MU at Arrowhead. Over the course of this season all they did was surprise, and who says they can't do it again? They really aren't losing many unreplaceable players (especially if Talib decides to stay one more year), and should be a very good team next year. Is there any particular reason you think they can't beat Texas Tech at home or South Florida on the road, neither school seemingly being THAT good this year? And why the write-off of the game agaisnt MU? Do you suddenly count your team among the Texas' and OUs in this conference after one season of dominance? Did you forget that MU traditionally isn't that good at football? Did you forget that we nearly beat you guys at the end?

As far as I'm concerned, KU proved they belonged in that bowl Thursday night. It sucks that MU wasn't there, but I think it might be time to get over it. Both schools deserved to be there more than Illinois and Hawaii, so if you have any problems with what happened, you should blame it on the system that caused it, not KU.

Anyway, I highly doubt KU will finish 11-1 again, but I would also be surprised to see them have 5 losses. Also, one last thing...even if you tried you couldn't spoil this party, KU football just won the Orange Bowl. ;-D
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby Tavish » Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:18 pm

mweir145 wrote:
Tavish wrote:Being a MU fan in the middle of Jayhawk country it has been hard the last few days to not rain on the parade. Great season for the Jayhawks and I hope they enjoy it over the offseason. I'm really happy for them, mainly because they represented the Big 12 well in the Bowl. At least they didn't implode like OU did. Next year is going to be a different story in Lawrence, if they finish better than 6-5 I will be surprised.

The 5 expected losses:

@ South Florida
Texas Tech
@ OU
Texas
@ MU in Arrowhead

I'm getting pretty tired of all these predictions about the KU football team, especially those from MU fans. Aren't you guys tired of being wrong?

Maybe I'm missing something, but when exactly have the people who have expected Kansas to lose been wrong? That is the benefit of playing a crap schedule, there aren't really any games that they should have lost. The VT game pretty much everyone expected them to lose, even most diehard KU fans. They played well in that game, congrats and like I said you should definitely enjoy it. I would suggest getting a little thicker skin because I'm sure I won't be the only expecting a much different season for KU next year. Hopefully they will surprise me, it certainly made that final game at Arrowhead more intense when both the teams were fighting for the North.

I heard for weeks how big a fraud KU was because they lost in a close game to MU at Arrowhead. Over the course of this season all they did was surprise, and who says they can't do it again? They really aren't losing many unreplaceable players (especially if Talib decides to stay one more year), and should be a very good team next year. Is there any particular reason you think they can't beat Texas Tech at home or South Florida on the road, neither school seemingly being THAT good this year?

I definitely think KU will be as good next year as they were this year. The hurdle they will have is that half the teams they are playing next season are miles better than they were this year. USF is a big step up from Toledo, TTU is a big step up from Baylor, Texas instead of Texas A&M, OU instead of OSU.

And why the write-off of the game agaisnt MU?

Probably because I'm a MU fan. It would be pretty silly of me to expect KU to win in that game. Do you expect K-State to beat you? Could KU win? Sure, but you won't see me predicting it. :-b

As far as I'm concerned, KU proved they belonged in that bowl Thursday night. It sucks that MU wasn't there, but I think it might be time to get over it. Both schools deserved to be there more than Illinois and Hawaii, so if you have any problems with what happened, you should blame it on the system that caused it, not KU.

Anyway, I highly doubt KU will finish 11-1 again, but I would also be surprised to see them have 5 losses. Also, one last thing...even if you tried you couldn't spoil this party, KU football just won the Orange Bowl. ;-D

I'm not blaming KU for anything. The season is what it is. MU had their chance but blew it against OU, then played a great game in the Cotton Bowl. I had my party and now am ready to look forward to next season. KU had a great season, played great in their bowl game and they have had their party. If you aren't ready to think about next season just come back and revisit the thread when you are.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 34)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk