Chamberlain Suspended - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Chamberlain Suspended

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Chamberlain Suspended

Postby sportsguy138 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:52 pm

MLB suspended RHP Joba Chamberlain two games for throwing at Kevin Youkilis during Thursday's game against the Red Sox.
Well, it doesn't make a lot of sense to us. If the league really feels Chamberlain threw twice at Youkilis' head on purpose, then two games is nothing. If it doesn't, he shouldn't be suspended at all. We didn't think it was intentional, but several members of the New York media are trying to spin it as though it was a message to the Sox. If so, it's a pretty disgusting development. We're not sure what Youkilis did to the Yankees, but he shouldn't lose his career over it. Chamberlain apparently will sit out the next two games, which he was going to do anyway.

From Rotoworld.

He was going to sit the next couple games anyways, so it didn't really matter. He shouldn't have even been ejected in the first place. I don't understand how you can throw him out without giving a warning, even if it was intentional.
sportsguy138
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 405)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Chamberlain Suspended

Postby Richie Rich » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:56 am

agreed, must give a warning 1st...either way, he pitched 1 inning plus on Thursday, so we probably wouldn't have seen him until Sunday anyways...ah well.
C:Sandoval 1B:Teixeira 2B:Ramirez 3B:Huff SS:Rollins OF:Crawford OF:Markakis OF:Kemp U:Holliday U:Morneau B: Werth DL: Lowell
SP Billingsley Shields Verlander Lackey Romero Hughes
RP Cordero Bell Bailey Francisco
DL Dempster
Richie Rich
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Papelbon Fire » Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:01 pm

I'm gonna go ahead and say from the ump's standpoint, he's a rookie pitcher and he's not going to tolerate a rookie throwing consecutive pitches above anyone's head, regardless if it was Youk or any other Red Sox player. It was a low move on Chamberlain's part. He's a rookie and retaliating for Youk running out of the base path should be done on the part of a vet or not at all. When A-Rod said whatever he said, rounding the base paths in Toronto a couple months ago, it's not like Jesse Litsch or Brian Wolfe went out there and threw at his head the next day or the same game. As much as I hate the Yankees and how remarkable I thought this kid's talent was (and is going to be), just totally unprofessional at this stage in his career. 3, 5 years down the road, then sure go ahead and make a point. But throwing at someone's head is just never acceptable, so the 2 game suspension is warented, if not Chamberlain is getting off easy.
"A-Rod booed for confusing Yankees fans."
Papelbon Fire
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Inukchuk » Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:49 pm

Hey, how about that? A Red Sox fan thinks it was intentional. What a shocker. Did you not see Jorge set up outside both times? How about the interview later on where Joba basically apologized? And no, I'm not a Yankee fan (go Twinkies!)

I will say, though, Francona was pretty heated after the game. Also, Beckett looked like his head was ready to explode in the dugout... apparently, he's been taking lessons from Schilling in Drama 101...
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Return to Injuries & Player Updates