Just bought a Dell Inspiron 1501 Notebook - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Just bought a Dell Inspiron 1501 Notebook

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Just bought a Dell Inspiron 1501 Notebook

Postby TheA'sFatLeadoffMan » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:19 pm

Well I guess it's feasible for like 200 GB, but I think you'd have to be pretty unwilling to delete content to use up that kind of space. I mean if you don't like a movie enough to burn it onto a DVD how long will it truly remain on your HDD? And MP3's pretty small files, I mean certainly if you just kept every track you ever thought was relatively good on your HDD it would accumulate, but I dunno, I guess I've just always been someone who doesn't keep unused or rarely used content on my HDD long. The idea of 500 GB or a Terabyte to me just seems like you just don't like to let go of things, of course though it's different if your using protools, video editting, and such like I said, if you're creating some sort of content for yourself you will certainly find ways to use it.

But then again maybe if I was on a college campus getting a T1 line I might be changing my tune...
TheA'sFatLeadoffMan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Tavish » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:23 pm

I'm with you Fatman. I don't think I've ever really come close to filling up my 40 GB drive and that is with dual-booting. I guess that's the beauty of dealing with text files 95% of the time.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby theclefe » Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:03 am

I only have a 30GB Hard Drive thinking I would never fill it, and I greatly regret the decision. I must have deleted or transfered at least 90GB of content and programs since I got this laptop. (I have a lot of photos... none of Pat Burrell though ;-))

On a side question. If I wanted to replace the hard drive on my laptop, would I need someone to reinstall my windows and programs, or can it be mirrored on a new drive without much hassle?
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 1)

Postby TheA'sFatLeadoffMan » Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:44 am

Sub question for me as well:

How difficult is it to replace a notebook graphics card generally?
TheA'sFatLeadoffMan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Melo255 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:54 am

I just ordered my new Dell Inspiron 531 (Desktop) 3 days ago. I've always been happy with Dell and I'll keep buying from them as long as they keep performing well. I thought about posting here then to ask what some of you thought about it but then I thought better of opening a whole thread just to ask about my comp. Now that someone else has done it though I have no qualms about piggybacking :-D

My specs:

Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 5600+ (2.8GHz, 2000MHz FSB, and a 2MB L2 cache)
2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz
320GB Serial ATA Hard Drive 7200RPM
256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT-DDR3 2-DIMM
20 inch Widescreen Digital Flat Panel
16x DVD+/-RW Drive
Bluetooth Wireless Media Hub 13-1 Media Reader w/Bluetooth 2.0 EDR
802.11b/g wireless PCI card

With the $300/$310 off sale they have right now on the Inspiron 531/530 series it's a pretty darn good deal. I'm going to upgrade the memory to 4GB through crucial.com and in around half a year upgrade the video card.
Melo255
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:08 am

Dells are horrible. They'll last about two years. Vista is horrible also. :-t
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Boyakasha » Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:04 pm

TheA'sFatLeadoffMan wrote:Sub question for me as well:

How difficult is it to replace a notebook graphics card generally?

Basically, you can't. They say when buying a notebook you should look at the screen and the graphics card first because those are the two things you can't easily change/upgrade.
Boyakasha
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Snakes Gould » Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:34 am

theclefe wrote:I only have a 30GB Hard Drive thinking I would never fill it, and I greatly regret the decision. I must have deleted or transfered at least 90GB of content and programs since I got this laptop. (I have a lot of photos... none of Pat Burrell though ;-))

O:-) all my hard work of building up a reputation and this is what im going to be remembered for forever! %-6 !+)

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby TheA'sFatLeadoffMan » Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:43 am

Snakes Gould wrote:
theclefe wrote:I only have a 30GB Hard Drive thinking I would never fill it, and I greatly regret the decision. I must have deleted or transfered at least 90GB of content and programs since I got this laptop. (I have a lot of photos... none of Pat Burrell though ;-))

O:-) all my hard work of building up a reputation and this is what im going to be remembered for forever! %-6 !+)

Well to get your hands on such a provocative picture of a ball player on your favorite team will do that...
TheA'sFatLeadoffMan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Snakes Gould » Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:34 pm

TheA'sFatLeadoffMan wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:

Well to get your hands on such a provocative picture of a ball player on your favorite team will do that...

all you have to do is google pat burrell and click images..i didnt look for it i promise ! :~( :-b

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk