Just bought a Dell Inspiron 1501 Notebook - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Just bought a Dell Inspiron 1501 Notebook

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Just bought a Dell Inspiron 1501 Notebook

Postby TheA'sFatLeadoffMan » Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:47 am

Here are the specs

PROCESSOR
AMD Turion™ 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology TL-56
OPERATING SYSTEM
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Basic
LCD PANEL
15.4 inch Wide Screen XGA Display
MEMORY
2GB DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHZ, 2 DIMM
HARD DRIVE
80GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)
OPTICAL DRIVE
24X CD Burner/DVD Combo Drive
VIDEO CARD
ATI RADEON® Xpress1150 256MB HyperMemory™ (Integrated)
SOUND OPTIONS
Integrated Audio
BATTERY OPTIONS
29 WHr 4-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
WIRELESS CARDS
Dell Wireless 1390 802.11g Mini Card (54Mbps)

How's it look? Came out to $800 with taxes and shipping, basically I'll just use it for standard internet, play a few games here and there like World of Warcraft, maybe Starcraft II if it can handle it, music, maybe very amateur simple video editting.

I was debating between the Athlon dual core and Turion, Athlon was $60 cheaper, but considering I'm not to savy on processors, I figured I'd take the price hit and go with the better processor, though how necessary the extra power will be for me I do not know.

Just wondering how good of a computer I just purchase really, it's basically there cheapest verion, but I upgraded the RAM from 1 to 2 GB and Processor from a Sempron 3500+ to the Turion.

One last question when asking what was important processor and RAM were the to biggest things I got from people exp. processor because of how hard it is to replace. Anyways I was wondering how hard it is to upgrade the graphics card on a laptop? They only gave me one option and currently I'm not thinking I'll go to far into PC gaming, but I've never had a computer that could be thought of as respectably powerful relative to what's out there. So I was just wondering if down the line I decided I was interested in gaming on it, how hard would it be to buy a more gaming based graphics card?
TheA'sFatLeadoffMan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Just bought a Dell Inspiron 1501 Notebook

Postby chadlincoln » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:13 am

Good price. It looks Vista ready too. From what I hear though, you'll be counting down the days for the Vista service pack. Great deal though from the looks of it. Upgrading the RAM was crucial from 1 to 2 gig. Nice video card. Looks good. ;-D
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby GiantsFan14 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:58 pm

good luck with it, i've had a hell of a time with dell laptops...the motherboard on mine burnt out twice before i just trashed it and bought a new HP...i know plenty of people with the same problem and have heard its due to overheating...i would suggest getting one of those laptop docks with a fan in it to keep it cool and save your motherboard which is quite expensive to replace...something like this:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=45656&doy=search (just an example)
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 452)

Postby Snakes Gould » Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:59 pm

yep couldnt agree more giantsfan ;-D

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby TheA'sFatLeadoffMan » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:43 pm

Dell got sued for those problems, I remember hearing about those problems, but as I said they had a class action lawsuit filed against them, which they lost or settled I don't remember. Anyways as far as I know the problem has been fixed, my relatives picked up two XPS's and have not had any overheating problems. I'm not too worried about that aspect.
TheA'sFatLeadoffMan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Phatferd » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:51 pm

I personally would never buy a Dell. Too many bad experiences. I also think they are a rip off. You computer is nice, except I would have got more than 80gb for your hard drive. I think 500gb is standard these days on stock machines. At least 250gb.

edit: Nevermind, it's a notebook. 80gb would suffice, lol. Nice computer.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby TheA'sFatLeadoffMan » Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:43 pm

Phatferd wrote:I personally would never buy a Dell. Too many bad experiences. I also think they are a rip off. You computer is nice, except I would have got more than 80gb for your hard drive. I think 500gb is standard these days on stock machines. At least 250gb.

Honestly who in the world besides amateur film makers or some sort of producer of their own content would use 500 GB?
TheA'sFatLeadoffMan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Madison » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:17 pm

I had a Dell Lattitude and ran that poor sucker to death and never had a lick of problem with it. B-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Phatferd » Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:32 pm

TheA'sFatLeadoffMan wrote:
Phatferd wrote:I personally would never buy a Dell. Too many bad experiences. I also think they are a rip off. You computer is nice, except I would have got more than 80gb for your hard drive. I think 500gb is standard these days on stock machines. At least 250gb.

Honestly who in the world besides amateur film makers or some sort of producer of their own content would use 500 GB?

I have a crapload of .mp3s on my computer along with a bunch of video files. I could condense, however, I'd rather be able to keep the stuff on there for easy access. For example, I download some movies off bitorrent when I am away for hours at a time (best time to download a large file) and leave them on my computer until I watch them which sometimes is a few weeks to months. I do this with movies I haven't seen and I don't want to waste the time burning them to a DVD if I don't like them.

I also have some video games that add up to 40-60gb....
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Snakes Gould » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:40 pm

Phatferd wrote:
TheA'sFatLeadoffMan wrote:

I have a crapload of .mp3s on my computer along with a bunch of video files. I could condense, however, I'd rather be able to keep the stuff on there for easy access. For example, I download some movies off bitorrent when I am away for hours at a time (best time to download a large file) and leave them on my computer until I watch them which sometimes is a few weeks to months. I do this with movies I haven't seen and I don't want to waste the time burning them to a DVD if I don't like them.

I also have some video games that add up to 40-60gb....

exactly...i could easily use all my hard drive space on videos/movies/songs alone. 80 gb is alittle low, but you shouldnt have any problems as long as you clean up after yourself...mp3's, old games, etc...

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Next

Return to General Talk