When to set trade deadline? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

When to set trade deadline?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

When to set trade deadline?

Postby nyrblue2 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:26 am

This is actually a question for my fantasy hockey league, but that forum isn't quite as active yet...

When do you guys think is the best time to set your trade deadline? Before or after the MLB trade deadline?

I can see arguments for both sides. If it's before, you need to pay close attention to prospective trades. If it's after, you get to see where your players actually end up. I know in hockey, many of the trades at the trading deadline come out of the blue...

Thoughts?
nyrblue2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: When to set trade deadline?

Postby Bloody Sox » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:31 am

Well, for baseball I usually set my deadline later (late August) than most because I want to give teams the maximum amount of time to trade for/away keepers. But I also know that the guys in my league won't do dump trades and the like. In a league where I don't necessarily know/trust all the owners, I'd set it closer to the MLB deadline which would be early August - I think that's pretty standard.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby nyrblue2 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:37 am

I understand your concern about owners you don't know. But, I think your suggestion was a little vague. Even if you set it "closer" to the MLB deadline, 1 day after is still a huge change. "Before" and "after" are huge differences, regardless of how close to the actual deadline it is.

So you recommend setting it after the MLB deadline?
nyrblue2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Diamond Miners » Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:31 pm

I would, MLB trades can change the value of certain players and its always fun to watch how it trickles down into fantasy baseball.
Good luck, feel free to PM me
DM

Minor League forum
Diamond Miners
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Bwanna » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:27 pm

Bringing this topic back up... what are the advantages/disadvantages for NOT having a trade deadline (are there ANY advantages?) and what are the advantages/disadvantages for having one?

I'm convinced that leagues need a trading deadline, and mid to late August makes the most sense to me (after the MLB trade deadline).
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st]
123Innings '08 [1st/1st], '09 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/4th], '12 [4th/2nd]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Cool 3.0 '08 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 262)

Postby converge241 » Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:38 am

I always set leagues I run to 1 week after the MLB (non waiver) deadline

im in one league where its sept 1st and not a fan of that cause IMO people should have to shore up way before that and you get too many dump trades to contenders

i mean I make sure to take advantage of it but if i had a choice it would be earlier
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 98)

Postby sgnilloccaz » Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:34 pm

Set any leagues trade deadline 2-3 weeks before the playoffs in your league. You do this so people who aren't going to make the playoffs trade their team away.
sgnilloccaz
College Coach
College Coach

Eagle Eye

Postby RotoFan07 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:05 pm

I really like the trades deadline in one of the leagues I am in.

First deadline is July 31. This deadline is for every team to be able to trade amongst each other.

Second deadling is August 31. From August 1 to August 31 trades can still be made, but you have to be within 3 spots in the standings of the team you are trading with. For example, the last place team can't trade a player to the first place team. This helps quite a bit with player dumping and collusion.

I should note, this is not a keeper league.
RotoFan07
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby BigKahuna83 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:43 pm

our leagues have the trade deadline set up at the earliest option availabe in Yahoo. We have done this due to collusion efforts in the past. We have the same core group of mangers and have found that with an earlier deadline, not as many teams will have waved their white flag and 'maybe' try to help their friend make run for the title. (which has happened in the past)
BigKahuna83
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Loreti27 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:26 pm

The Trading Deadline is weird because many GMs are depressed & the thoughts of buying low and selling high are fading fast for half of them. Is it because it is late in the season and it is tougher to pull the wool over opponents' eyes? No, that's not it. It is because we have reached the point in the season where control is taken out of GM / Owner's hands and Luck becomes your guide. In essence this is the Fantasy Trade Deadline time. This is the worst part of the fantasy baseball season, and the part that I'll never understand. Even though every League that I participate in possesses one, why do I continue to adhere to the trade deadline?

Well, I can still pick up free agents. That's great, I let my season, the one that I started preparing for before Spring Training began hinge on a list of players that everyone else in the league has deemed unworthy of a roster spot! That's wonderful but who is going to be my late season Savior? They do exist!.... I have been fortunate enough to have cashed in on them seasons past & have had the unfortunate honor of losing to my competition due to their late season heroics.

Although most of my Leagues employ the traditional MLB Trade Deadline date.... Any trade deadline that takes place before September 1 st is not good for the league in which we play. Why? Good question let me answer that for you. Let's say you have a trade deadline that coincides with the MLB trade deadline, there is still over one-third of the season left to be played and at least half of your league no longer cares to pay attention. Would you? If you are hovering in 7 th place in a 12 team league are you going to check in to see if A-Rod has mysteriously landed on the waiver wire? No, you are now planning your fantasy football draft. There are two full months left, and there is no reason to pay any more attention. Have you ever wondered what it would be like for each team in your league to fully pay attention for the entire season? I know, it will never happen, even with a later trade deadline some teams will be out of it and stop trying, but it's a dream of mine, and dreams are meant to be broken...or is that records?

P.S. - I like the rule that one of the Posters related about not being able to trade up or down 3 spots within your League Standings. That will certainly derail collusion efforts.
Loreti27
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Location: The # 7 Train heading for the Willet's Point / Shea Stadium Platform

Return to Commissioner's Corner