How well do you know your ASA Softball? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

How well do you know your ASA Softball?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: How well do you know your ASA Softball?

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:53 pm

I wanted to mention something that happened during my championship series (ISA). Runners on 1st and 2nd with a full count. Pitch was clearly outside by a few inches (no mat) so the runners, including the batter, started walking to their next base. When the batter was about 1/3 of the way up the 1B line, the ump called it a strike. I know because I was watching the ump's call with the batter still in sight. The batter was now out. The other team threw the ball to 2nd, they tagged the runner who was moving up from 1st, and they called him out as well. If it matters, there is no stealing in this league and no automatic out if you leave the base before contact.

We were livid because the ump made a late call on an obvious ball and logic would indicate that it should be a dead ball and the runner sent back to their original bases. Thoughts??
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby stevethumb » Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:23 pm

i don't know about ISA but IF it is slo pitch softball, the ball is "dead" after each pitch since there can be no advance either way..the late strike call is unfortunate but it's nothing until the ump calls it..i would like to have heard the umpires explanation for calling the baserunner out..i ran a 45 team ASA league for over 10 years, was an ASA umpire and district commissioner too..i would not want to be on the other end of the phone w/the coach of the team who got called on this "double play"
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby stevethumb » Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:29 pm

Lofunzo wrote:I wanted to mention something that happened during my championship series (ISA). Runners on 1st and 2nd with a full count. Pitch was clearly outside by a few inches (no mat) so the runners, including the batter, started walking to their next base. When the batter was about 1/3 of the way up the 1B line, the ump called it a strike. I know because I was watching the ump's call with the batter still in sight. The batter was now out. The other team threw the ball to 2nd, they tagged the runner who was moving up from 1st, and they called him out as well. If it matters, there is no stealing in this league and no automatic out if you leave the base before contact.

We were livid because the ump made a late call on an obvious ball and logic would indicate that it should be a dead ball and the runner sent back to their original bases. Thoughts??

you say there is no stealing and runners can not be called out if they leave the base early .. is it a "no pitch" if a runner leaves early ? what if the count were 2 and 2 and the pitch were a ball, can the catcher throw to first to pickoff the runner who steps off the base ? or is the ball indeed "dead" after each pitch ? are there any circumstances in which a play can occur after a ball or strike in ISA ?
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby theclefe » Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:59 pm

Another question:

When there is a play at the plate where a guy on second comes around to score, whose responsibility is it to move the bat if it is laying in the batter's box?
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:45 am

stevethumb wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:I wanted to mention something that happened during my championship series (ISA). Runners on 1st and 2nd with a full count. Pitch was clearly outside by a few inches (no mat) so the runners, including the batter, started walking to their next base. When the batter was about 1/3 of the way up the 1B line, the ump called it a strike. I know because I was watching the ump's call with the batter still in sight. The batter was now out. The other team threw the ball to 2nd, they tagged the runner who was moving up from 1st, and they called him out as well. If it matters, there is no stealing in this league and no automatic out if you leave the base before contact.

you say there is no stealing and runners can not be called out if they leave the base early .. is it a "no pitch" if a runner leaves early ? what if the count were 2 and 2 and the pitch were a ball, can the catcher throw to first to pickoff the runner who steps off the base ? or is the ball indeed "dead" after each pitch ? are there any circumstances in which a play can occur after a ball or strike in ISA ?

Not sure exactly what you mean about no pitch. I do know that, years ago, I had a catcher that had a cannon. A batter swung and missed and the runner left the bag. He threw over and got him out. The thing that I don't love about this league is that they seem to wing quite a few things.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Postby Tavish » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:34 pm

theclefe wrote:Another question:

When there is a play at the plate where a guy on second comes around to score, whose responsibility is it to move the bat if it is laying in the batter's box?

Nobody's really. A good ump will kick it to the side when moving out to call a play in the field. A good hitter will get it out of the way after his swing. A good catcher will move it if there isn't an immediate play at the plate. There are times when none of the three have a chance to happen and the bat is simply part of the play.

I've had umps yell at me for trying to move a bat when I was on deck which I understand since it isn't exactly legal. When I ump games I don't have any problem with the player on deck doing that as long as they aren't getting involved with the play. I would rather not see anyone get hurt.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 34)

Postby stevethumb » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:14 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
stevethumb wrote:

Not sure exactly what you mean about no pitch. I do know that, years ago, I had a catcher that had a cannon. A batter swung and missed and the runner left the bag. He threw over and got him out. The thing that I don't love about this league is that they seem to wing quite a few things.

if the ball is still live after each pitch then the umpire made the correct call of a double play...the pitch is neither ball nor strike until the umpire calls it and IF the ball is live after each pitch (and it sounds like it is since your cannon armed catcher threw to a bag to pick off a stray baserunner) then your baserunners should not have left their bases until the pitch was called strike or ball

in ASA there are many instances of a "no pitch"..if a baserunner leaves before the pitched ball is hit or reaches the plate any umpire may call no pitch, the ball is dead and the baserunner out...
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby theclefe » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:02 pm

Tavish wrote:
theclefe wrote:Another question:

Nobody's really. A good ump will kick it to the side when moving out to call a play in the field. A good hitter will get it out of the way after his swing. A good catcher will move it if there isn't an immediate play at the plate. There are times when none of the three have a chance to happen and the bat is simply part of the play.

I've had umps yell at me for trying to move a bat when I was on deck which I understand since it isn't exactly legal. When I ump games I don't have any problem with the player on deck doing that as long as they aren't getting involved with the play. I would rather not see anyone get hurt.

I had to jump over the bat rather than sliding into home, and thus got tagged out. I figured it was either the ump or the on deck batter who is the suggested bat mover, but was wondering if the umps are taught to move it. I was coming from second, so he had time if he was inclined. Those are the breaks, I guess. Thanks again Tavish.
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 1)

Postby talan37 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:22 pm

Any of you have any idea about the third strike foul ball? Whether it is live or dead if it is caught?
Check out my blog at http://www.rotopulse.com for fantasy baseball analysis, injury reports, commissioner info and more. For laughs check out http://www.sportshysterics.com
talan37
College Coach
College Coach

Trivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Tavish » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:41 pm

talan37 wrote:Any of you have any idea about the third strike foul ball? Whether it is live or dead if it is caught?

It is live if it is caught.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 34)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk