How well do you know your ASA Softball? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

How well do you know your ASA Softball?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How well do you know your ASA Softball?

Postby theclefe » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:35 pm

If a player catches the ball in foul territory, then through momentum runs out of play, should the runners on base be awarded free bases even with the batter out? The situation happened to me today. I made a running catch and got hosed. As I recalled in HS baseball, if you made a similar catch, as long as you came back into play before throwing the ball it was fine. I did that, but the ump (who I'm not convinced knew what happened) awarded the bases.

Can anyone who umps give me a hand?
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: How well do you know your ASA Softball?

Postby Tavish » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:16 am

The ump made the right call.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby theclefe » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:42 am

Tavish wrote:The ump made the right call.

Thanks for your help. I've never run into that ruling, so it was a bit of a shock. We have such tight sidelines on our new field that this could be a common occurrence. The next time I made a catch close to the sideline I tossed the ball back toward the field before I ran out. The ump said I dropped the ball and the batter hit a homerun with his next swing. I just couldn't win. Any tips for an aggressive outfielder?
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Tavish » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:21 pm

Its pretty aggravating especially on the smaller foul ground parks. The worst I played on there was maybe 10 feet of space between the foul line and the "out of play" area. The fences only ran to the edge of the infield and there was no line that really indicated to the OFers where the out of bounds area started. The ump would basically look down the fenceline to the outfield fence marker and make the call.

What I ended up doing was just not worrying about it. It really didn't happen too often, and in most cases in softball it is worth trading the out for letting guys advance an extra base. If it is something that is happening all the time you might crowd the foul line a little more so you can come in more under control.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter

Postby theclefe » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:00 pm

Tavish wrote:Its pretty aggravating especially on the smaller foul ground parks. The worst I played on there was maybe 10 feet of space between the foul line and the "out of play" area. The fences only ran to the edge of the infield and there was no line that really indicated to the OFers where the out of bounds area started. The ump would basically look down the fenceline to the outfield fence marker and make the call.

What I ended up doing was just not worrying about it. It really didn't happen too often, and in most cases in softball it is worth trading the out for letting guys advance an extra base. If it is something that is happening all the time you might crowd the foul line a little more so you can come in more under control.

Well put. As for positioning, I was playing further off the line than I normally do because I figured there was less ground to cover. If the ground wasn't so chewed up I'd figure I could go into a slide like a catcher, but my legs wouldn't be the same after. I definitely be thinking about it tonight. Thanks again Tavish.
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:35 pm

I know that we are talking MLB vs. ASA softball here but let me ask a somewhat logical question. How is this instance any different than a fielder catching a batted ball and having his momentum take him into the stands??
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Tavish » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:15 am

Lofunzo wrote:

I know that we are talking MLB vs. ASA softball here but let me ask a somewhat logical question. How is this instance any different than a fielder catching a batted ball and having his momentum take him into the stands??

The difference is that the MLB has a "fall" rule and ASA doesn't. I'm not sure I have ever seen the MLB call it correctly but it is in the rules.

MLB Rule Book wrote:Rule 7.04(c) Comment: If a fielder, after having made a legal catch, should fall into a stand or among spectators or into the dugout or any other out-of-play area while in possession of the ball after making a legal catch, or fall while in the dugout after making a legal catch, the ball is dead and each runner shall advance one base, without liability to be put out, from his last legally touched base at the time the fielder fell into, or in, such out-of-play area.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Snakes Gould » Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:47 pm

what i never understood was this.... what is the ruling on this catch...i dont recall the exact situation, but what happens if no one is on base? on what if there are runners on base but there are 2 outs.
[img]
http://www.prosportsmemorabilia.com/Ima ... 5729-F.jpg[/img]

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Tavish » Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:55 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:what i never understood was this.... what is the ruling on this catch...i dont recall the exact situation, but what happens if no one is on base? on what if there are runners on base but there are 2 outs.
[img]

In both of those situations nothing happens. Jeter's catch was with two outs so the inning is over.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:07 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:what i never understood was this.... what is the ruling on this catch...i dont recall the exact situation, but what happens if no one is on base? on what if there are runners on base but there are 2 outs.
[img]

In that case, you get a Yankeeography and then Michael Kay and John Sterling fight over who gets to pick up Jeter's next dinner check.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Next

Return to General Talk