Yankees- Hughes, Joba and NOW KENNEDY!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Yankees- Hughes, Joba and NOW KENNEDY!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

chambelrlin

Postby toledomudhens » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:37 pm

i think this kid has electric stull. i remember seeing this kind of action when liriano was dominating last year. i have this kid in a 12 team mixed league and i really like this kid and i hear he's going to be a starter next year, what do people see from him next year and how much value does he have in a 12 team mixed next year??? thanks
toledomudhens
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 200)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: chambelrlin

Postby Grounded Polo » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:55 pm

Nice one on butchering the spelling of CHAMBERLAIN. %-6

I think that at his best, he'll produce CC Sabathia numbers with a lower ERA because Joba doesn't give up nearly as many home runs. It's hard to predict his numbers because he's been so dominant, he hasn't hit a rough patch yet, but I only named Sabathia because Joba was compared to him often as a general comparison because of build and they also post similar K/BB ratios. Joba can win as many games as CC with the Yankees offense behind him.

I don't think I'll be drafting him in redraft mixed leagues because he's going to have so much hype and you'll have to overdraft just to get him. Of course, that could payoff because Joba has been lights out but I'd rather go with safer options early and then take Clay Buchholz, Joba's competition for 2007's best minor league starter, many rounds later because Buchholz has been just as dominant and has better secondary pitches. I am a Joba owner in a keeper league so I'm ecstatic about his potential. ;-D
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:26 am

He'll have way too much hype, imo, next year and that is probably why I will not get him. A few things to be weary of with Chamberlain.

A. He's pitched very little in AAA (and he pitched when they were training to him to be a reliever).

B. He's only pitched as an MLB setup man thus far. There is a huge difference between being a setup man and being a starter (namely in that Chamberlain will have to "pace" himself more and use his secondary pitches more instead of just throwing it all out there for 10-20 pitches...)
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby Havok1517 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:29 am

buffalobillsrul2002 wrote:He'll have way too much hype, imo, next year and that is probably why I will not get him. A few things to be weary of with Chamberlain.

A. He's pitched very little in AAA (and he pitched when they were training to him to be a reliever).

B. He's only pitched as an MLB setup man thus far. There is a huge difference between being a setup man and being a starter (namely in that Chamberlain will have to "pace" himself more and use his secondary pitches more instead of just throwing it all out there for 10-20 pitches...)

Yeah, while starting you can pretty much assure yourself that Chamberlain will likely settle in the low to mid 90's while starting instead of his high 90's stuff while setting up. 100+ pitches is a lot more than he's used to at the MLB level and he's been an injury risk thus far. Still, I like him.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 116)

Postby masterpinky0509 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:31 pm

He'll be an interesting guy next year. I could easily see him putting up Andy Pettitte numbers, w/ a sub-4.00 ERA and around 7.5-8 K/9. With those figures, he'll be in line for 15-18 wins if he starts for the Yanks all year, and that'd put him in the top 10 rounds as a starter.

That being said, don't expect too much of the kid. His command is decent but not as good as fellow prospect Hughes, and that lack of command will be exposed when he has to face more than three or four batters at a time. The second and third times through the lineup are what kill most young pitchers.
masterpinky0509
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:44 pm

Havok1517 wrote:
buffalobillsrul2002 wrote:He'll have way too much hype, imo, next year and that is probably why I will not get him. A few things to be weary of with Chamberlain.

Yeah, while starting you can pretty much assure yourself that Chamberlain will likely settle in the low to mid 90's while starting instead of his high 90's stuff while setting up. 100+ pitches is a lot more than he's used to at the MLB level and he's been an injury risk thus far. Still, I like him.

How has he been an injury risk??
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby sandman042 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:44 pm

as a yankee fan i have watched him pitch and he has been great. he actually has very good comand of his pitches which is very rare for a young power pitcher. He will become a starter next yr and he does throw not quite as hard as a starter this yr in the minors but still hard around ( 95-98)(consitantly) starter and 98-100 as a reliver. He will certainly dominate buti dont think its possible ifor him to pitch the whole season as a starter. in college the most inngs in a season he pitch was i think around 100 and this yr he has logged in around 100 inngs minor and majors included. hes on pace for say 110-125 thi s yr.so next yr if he does start they cant let him go past 160-180 inngs IMO that would just be plain stupid. so they are going to send him to the bullpen to save his arm and in 2009 hell be back in the rotation . he can be an ace and yankees have a greta future ahead w/ hughes/chamberlain/kennedy/betances/christian garcia garcia(tommy john),brackman(tommy john),
sandman042
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Grounded Polo » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:06 pm

Chamberlain has been an injury risk because he used to weigh 290 pounds.

Joba has always demonstrated solid command, not comparable to Hughes, but good enough to say that his success isn't entirely because hitters only see him once. Andrew Miller has atrocious command and his college K/BB ratio wasn't as dominating as it should have been for a guy considered the best talent in the 2006 draft, and although his fastball and slider have great velocity, he can't hit his spots at all and his changeup is still very medicore. Joba's success really depends upon how well his changeup pans out against major league hitters because he doesn't need it in a relief role. His fastball and slider are practically flawless, it just depends on whether or not he can demonstrate good command with his changeup that should determine his success because he takes weight training far more seriously now than in college, where he didn't bother. If it doesn't happen, Joba could have a Jeremy Bonderman-like season, where he has an awesome first half and then implodes after the break as guys have figured out his two great pitches and then a mediocre changeup that doesn't get the job done on major league hitters, especially in the American League.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: chamberlain

Postby Havok1517 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:19 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:

How has he been an injury risk??

Why do you think he slipped so far in the draft last year? http://www.minorleagueball.com/story/20 ... 13058/6308 here is a good link comparing Buchholtz & Joba detailing Joba's injury past.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 116)

Yankees- Hughes, Joba and NOW KENNEDY!!

Postby sandman042 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:18 pm

KENNEDY just got called up for yankees and he has had as good numbers as joba if not better

A-AAA
12-3 with a 1.91 ERA and 163 strikeouts in 146 1/3 innings.

i feel hes worth a flier but not sure how long hell be in rotation but as a yankee fan u have to be pump for the future.will start for mussina spot on sat. accroding to wcbs 880 new york.
sandman042
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers