Joe Borowski - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Joe Borowski

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Joe Borowski

Postby BJSFAN123 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:58 pm

Is he the worst closer in the game currently? I actually find myself hoping he doesn't get save opps, it's like an era explosion.
BJSFAN123
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Joe Borowski

Postby dclark0699 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:03 pm

I'd vote for him as worst closer.

But the Indians really dont have much in terms of a potential closer in their pen. Early in the year I thought Fernando Cabrera would take it over, but then he imploded. Might as well convert Adam Miller now
dclark0699
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby RynMan » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:12 pm

BJSFAN123 wrote:Is he the worst closer in the game currently?

Yes. He is garbage.

However, Borowski apologists will point out that his ERA has been inflated by non-save situations. Other closers also pitch in those situations and don't seem to have that problem.

Sorry....I just think he far from the best reliever on his own team. It's not as though you should make your best reliever the closer but hey....
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby RynMan » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:13 pm

dclark0699 wrote:I'd vote for him as worst closer.

But the Indians really dont have much in terms of a potential closer in their pen. Early in the year I thought Fernando Cabrera would take it over, but then he imploded. Might as well convert Adam Miller now

Not a Betancourt fan?
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby dclark0699 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:16 pm

RynMan wrote:
dclark0699 wrote:I'd vote for him as worst closer.

Not a Betancourt fan?

Betancourt is very successful for what he does. A solid 7th or 8th inning guy who doesn't walk anyone. I just can't see him translating into a closer though. Of course guys with worse stuff have been successful *cough* Bob Wickman *cough*
dclark0699
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby RynMan » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:46 pm

dclark0699 wrote:Betancourt is very successful for what he does. A solid 7th or 8th inning guy who doesn't walk anyone. I just can't see him translating into a closer though. Of course guys with worse stuff have been successful *cough* Bob Wickman *cough*

:-D

Yeah I hear ya point. I actually remember looking up whether the Indians were using Betancourt in the 7th or 8th depending on what part of the order was coming up (i.e. best reliever against the best hitters). At that point, Borowski was facing the heart of the order more than Betancourt - so my theory went out the door, along with any respect I had for their bullpen structure. I wonder what Keith Foulke is doing as we speak. :-)
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Surfs up » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:23 am

Ok , So if Borowski is so bad and they decide to use Betancourt. Who sets him up? I don't think you see any changes through the reminder of the season.
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 200)

Postby RynMan » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:11 pm

Surfs up wrote:Ok , So if Borowski is so bad and they decide to use Betancourt. Who sets him up? I don't think you see any changes through the reminder of the season.

Exactly - you are plugging up one hole, while springing a leak somewhere else. In my mind, you basically then (more than ever) have to use your best reliever in the most crucial situations (late innings, facing the heart of the order). Not just specifically the 8th, or 9th inning.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby rja8719 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:53 pm

Luckily I've basically given up on era in my league and he seems to keep getting most of his saves despite giving up 1-2 runs every single time lol
rja8719
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby pat1999 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:00 am

I wouldn't exactly call the AL leader in saves the worst closer in baseball. He may not get the job done in the ERA and WHIP categories, but he racks up the saves. From a baseball standpoint this is really all that matters. From a fantasy standpoint, it can be frustrating at times having him but the impact on your ERA and WHIP should be minimal if you have good starting pitching. I have him in a couple leagues and have been dominating saves all year.
greatest game on earth
pat1999
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers