starter v closer - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

starter v closer

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

starter v closer

Postby ChrisSabo » Thu Feb 12, 2004 3:30 am

in a 5x5 where you get 9 pitchers how many of each do you think is best?
ChrisSabo
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kentx12 » Thu Feb 12, 2004 8:42 am

Most everyone will disagree with me but i like to load up on closers. I would say 5 starters with 4 closers and keep a couple a couple extra starters on your bench.

There will come a day when Barry Bonds leaves baseball, and everything about the game will be the better for it.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby trevisc » Thu Feb 12, 2004 9:54 am

kentx12 wrote:Most everyone will disagree with me but i like to load up on closers. I would say 5 starters with 4 closers and keep a couple a couple extra starters on your bench.

;-D

I like to have 4 closers as well.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Feb 12, 2004 10:08 am

4-5 closers plus as many starters as your bench will allow.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby BcM » Thu Feb 12, 2004 10:47 am

I always try and keep at least 4 closers in the lineup. If you have a limit on your innings pitched you must watch your starting pitching closely and can't put them in every game they pitch.The closers can be in your lineup every day and pickup saves and other numbers without the worry of eating up too many innings.
BcM
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby accohen » Thu Feb 12, 2004 1:11 pm

Come on guys.........I can't believe that you would say 4-5 closers. I get this argument everytime, and I just don't understand it. Besides the top 4-5 closers, all of the other guys are essentially crapshoots, who add VERY LITTLE to your overall ERA/WHIP/K's given the insignificant amount of innings they pitch. I will ALWAYS go with th 4 category starting pitcher over the 1 category closer any day of the week. Load up early with the SP and then late with the closers. I say, in a 5 x 5 league, the best scenarios are 7 SP and 2 closers, or what may actually be better is 6 SP, 2 closers, and a good middle relief (someone like K-Rod who will help you with K's and wins, and have more innings pitched than a typical closer to help with ERA as well).......just my opinion.....
accohen
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Feb 12, 2004 1:17 pm

6 starters
2 closers
and then either Brendan Donnelly, Brad Lidge or somebody with great ancillary numbers that may even pick up a few wins or saves to boot (up to this year I always had Dotel and Rhodes for this spot but now I've got to shop for a replacement).
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 257)

Postby Purple Haze » Thu Feb 12, 2004 1:29 pm

If you don't get one of the top 5 SP's they are a crap shoot as well... in an average 12 team league if every owner has 5 SP's that is 60 SP's and there is a lot more than 60 sp's in all of MLB that can get you good stats, if you pick and choose situations carefully... Closers are important to help keep innings down... 4 good closers will net you over 200+ inngs 200+K's (If you choose the right ones) a 3.50 ERA (Get Smoltz/Gagne/Wagner/Foulke to hold ERA down) 1.25 whip (Same concept as ERA) 120+ saves and at least 10 wins (Maybe 15-20) Those numbers are as good as a top 5 SP... This is my startegy.. I never worry about SP's, unless they slip a lot farther than they are supposed to, but I never reach for a SP.. Hitters are a lot more consistant (The top hitters) Than SP's are... This is all my humble opinion, but its worked for several years, and helped me win many baseball leagues (But maybe I was just playing with chumps) I'm not telling anyone to use this startegy..(Please don't ;-7 ) Just my humble opinion on this topic, and how I handle it..

Peace and Chickengrease! :-° :-° :-°
Purple Haze
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Feb 12, 2004 2:19 pm

accohen wrote:Come on guys.........I can't believe that you would say 4-5 closers. I get this argument everytime, and I just don't understand it. Besides the top 4-5 closers, all of the other guys are essentially crapshoots, who add VERY LITTLE to your overall ERA/WHIP/K's given the insignificant amount of innings they pitch. I will ALWAYS go with th 4 category starting pitcher over the 1 category closer any day of the week. Load up early with the SP and then late with the closers. I say, in a 5 x 5 league, the best scenarios are 7 SP and 2 closers, or what may actually be better is 6 SP, 2 closers, and a good middle relief (someone like K-Rod who will help you with K's and wins, and have more innings pitched than a typical closer to help with ERA as well).......just my opinion.....

4-5 closers every yr.
Notice, Im not suggesting taking them early. Quite the contrary. Always look for value. I completely agree that no closer contributes much to any catagory but saves becaue of thier IP. Gagne in the 1st or 2nd is a joke.
However, because they dont contribute much to ERA, or WHIP, whats the harm of running out as many of them as you can?

Since in roto one rarely uses a full alottment of offensive players on the bench, why not stock up on P? For instance, I try and have 1 util (elligible for multiple positions) offensive player on my bench, and the rest SP. Notice, I am not suggesting rotating your SP blindly off the bench for every start, but rather playing matchups. Sure, your studs will start most of the time, but your 3-4-5-6 SPs can be started when favorable matchups come along. All the while you are dominating saves cause you're running out 5 closers a day.

One last thing, closers are gold when it comes to trades.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Fumbler » Thu Feb 12, 2004 2:22 pm

Come on guys.........I can't believe that you would say 4-5 closers. I get this argument everytime, and I just don't understand it. Besides the top 4-5 closers, all of the other guys are essentially crapshoots, who add VERY LITTLE to your overall ERA/WHIP/K's given the insignificant amount of innings they pitch.

That's why i always draft at least two top-tier closers. Fill up with some good offensive players. Get two more above average closers and i'm set.

Last year i drafted Smoltz, Foulke, Urbina, and Williamson. Picked up Mantei on waivers during the season.

The only problem was when Urbina and Williamson got traded and became set-up men for awhile. :-P
Fumbler
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers