Hillary Says GOP Would Benefit From Terrorist Attack - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Hillary Says GOP Would Benefit From Terrorist Attack

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Hillary Says GOP Would Benefit From Terrorist Attack

Postby JTWood » Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:32 am

CNN.com wrote: WASHINGTON (CNN) -- She says she is the Democrat best equipped to fight terrorists, but White House hopeful Sen. Hillary Clinton told New Hampshire voters Thursday that another attack on the United States would likely help Republican candidates at the polls.

Sen. Hillary Clinton said the Republicans would benefit politically if a terrorist attack occurred before the '08 vote.

"It's a horrible prospect to ask yourself, 'What if? What if?' " Clinton, a New York Democrat, told a house party in Concord, according to the New York Post and The Associated Press and confirmed by her campaign.

"But, if certain things happen between now and the election, particularly with respect to terrorism, that will automatically give the Republicans an advantage again, no matter how badly they have mishandled it, no matter how much more dangerous they have made the world."

Clinton added that if such a scenario occurred, she is the best Democratic presidential candidate "to deal with that."

Clinton was in the crucial early voting state Thursday to unveil her health care plan.

A Clinton spokesman, Isaac Baker, told CNN "Sen. Clinton was making clear that she has the strength and experience to keep the country safe."

Sen. Chris Dodd, D-Connecticut, who is also competing for the Democratic nomination, issued a statement Friday afternoon calling Clinton's remark "tasteless."

"Frankly, I find it tasteless to discuss political implications when talking about a potential terrorist attack on the United States," he said.

New Mexico Bill Richardson, another Democratic presidential candidate, disparaged Clinton's remark.

"We shouldn't be thinking about terrorism in terms of its domestic political consequences, we should be protecting the country from terrorists," said Gov Richardson in a written statement.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Hillary Says GOP Would Benefit From Terrorist Attack

Postby brewcrew4you » Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:32 pm

I hate that woman. :-t
brewcrew4you
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby sportsaddict » Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:56 pm

Wait, maybe I'm missing something, but wouldn't it benefit the Democrats if there was a terrorist attack? Because wouldn't it show that the Republicans aren't doing a very good job providing safety for the country, and if they mishandled the situation, wouldn't that make them look even worse?

I don't get what she's saying and there's no reason to say it.
"Oh, that Lankford and McGee, the trio of 'em. They're a one-man wrecking crew."

-Mike Shannon
sportsaddict
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby JTWood » Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:06 pm

sportsaddict wrote:Wait, maybe I'm missing something, but wouldn't it benefit the Democrats if there was a terrorist attack? Because wouldn't it show that the Republicans aren't doing a very good job providing safety for the country, and if they mishandled the situation, wouldn't that make them look even worse?

My wife said the same thing.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Sticky Spice » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:58 am

sportsaddict wrote:Wait, maybe I'm missing something, but wouldn't it benefit the Democrats if there was a terrorist attack? Because wouldn't it show that the Republicans aren't doing a very good job providing safety for the country, and if they mishandled the situation, wouldn't that make them look even worse?

It would only prove that to people who think logically.

I think she's right.

Most voting Americans would revert right back to the post-9/11 retardation where if you say anything that can be taken as a slight against the current presidency or even the party in office then you are somehow anti-American. They will be paralyzed with fear and not steer from the status quo. Voting conservative is "safe," and voting for liberals would just be inviting more terror.

Now that 9/11 is far enough away in the rear-view and the War on Terror has been unpopular, it's trendy to vote in another direction. But once there's another attack I think we'll just repeat the past.

You're right about there being no reason to say it, though. It's a statement that's just inviting people to pick it apart and shed a bad light. You have to say happy things like I'm the best one for the job!
“Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them.” --Henry David Thoreau
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 39)

Postby JTWood » Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:01 pm

Sticky Spice wrote:You're right about there being no reason to say it, though. It's a statement that's just inviting people to pick it apart and shed a bad light.

And if you're a real cynic, you might even view it as a message from her to the terrorists.

I'm not a cynic. I'm just sayin...
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:57 pm

Sticky Spice wrote:

I think she's right.

Most voting Americans would revert right back to the post-9/11 retardation where if you say anything that can be taken as a slight against the current presidency or even the party in office then you are somehow anti-American. They will be paralyzed with fear and not steer from the status quo. Voting conservative is "safe," and voting for liberals would just be inviting more terror.

Now that 9/11 is far enough away in the rear-view and the War on Terror has been unpopular, it's trendy to vote in another direction. But once there's another attack I think we'll just repeat the past.

You're right about there being no reason to say it, though. It's a statement that's just inviting people to pick it apart and shed a bad light. You have to say happy things like I'm the best one for the job!

I completely agree with you.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 300)

Postby sportsaddict » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:42 pm

Sticky Spice wrote:

I think she's right.

I think that the "post-9/11 retardation" has taken a complete 180 though, because now it seems, unless you are a conservative, that it's very trendy to destroy the current administration. So if there was another terrorist attack, wouldn't that give the anti-Bush people more ammo? People wouldn't rally around the government, because it would be a second offense and there would be an overall feeling of a lack of safety.
"Oh, that Lankford and McGee, the trio of 'em. They're a one-man wrecking crew."

-Mike Shannon
sportsaddict
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby WharfRat » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:37 pm

Well said Sticky.

sportsaddict wrote:I think that the "post-9/11 retardation" has taken a complete 180 though, because now it seems, unless you are a conservative, that it's very trendy to destroy the current administration. So if there was another terrorist attack, wouldn't that give the anti-Bush people more ammo? People wouldn't rally around the government, because it would be a second offense and there would be an overall feeling of a lack of safety.

It would definitely be another knock against Bush, but at the polls, people wouldn't be voting for or against Bush. The non-Bush Republicans would likely wrap themselves in the flag and advocate for the more aggressive, violent reaction then the Democrats would offer, with their faith in Wilsonian internationalism, diplomacy and reason; in other words, the Republicans would offer the kind of thing a scared voting demographic will respond to. They'd be voting based on emotion and security, which means they vote for whoever is going to seem more aggressive or makes them feel more safe, which I would guess means a bump for a guy like Guiliani.

Of course, I could also see a big group of independent voters who would say "we're tired of the Republican approach; let's try the Dems." I think it would be unlikely in the event of an attack, but it could happen.
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Art Vandelay » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:12 pm

Was it a stupid thing to say? Yes. But I wish more politicians spoke what they felt and thought rather than tempering every word and only saying what they think people want to hear.

Was it an incorrect thing to say? I doubt it. In the last six years, just about everytime there's a specific threat, or a group of morons get caught with some ridiculous plot, or the threat level is raised to orange, or whatever else, the administration's ratings go up, people's approval of the war goes up, etc.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk