100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Wickman cut!!??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Wickman cut!!??

Postby Ursa » Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:35 pm

Marvelous Merv wrote:
livinginarizona wrote:Looks like Arizona might be interested:

Aug 25 Jack Magruder, of the East Valley Tribune, reports the Arizona Diamondbacks have not ruled out making a trade for Atlanta Braves CL Bob Wickman.

As a Wickman owner my response is "Nooooooooooooo!"

I'd rather he played for Arizona than sat on my roster with NA next to his name.
Ursa
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Marvelous Merv » Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:46 pm

Ursa wrote: I'd rather he played for Arizona than sat on my roster with NA next to his name.

Not true. If he goes to Arizona he's not even worth holding onto. Atleast if he ends up back in Cleveland he'd gave a good shot of becoming closer. He won't close in Arizona.
Marvelous Merv
College Coach
College Coach

Postby AdvRider » Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:55 pm

This pretty much sums up Wickman's struggles this year ... :-b

Bob "Ballerina" Wickman
AdvRider
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)

Postby Ursa » Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:27 pm

Marvelous Merv wrote:
Ursa wrote: I'd rather he played for Arizona than sat on my roster with NA next to his name.

Not true. If he goes to Arizona he's not even worth holding onto. Atleast if he ends up back in Cleveland he'd gave a good shot of becoming closer. He won't close in Arizona.

I probably should have mentioned my league uses Holds, so at the very least I'd get something out of him. Right now he's useless but I can't just drop him and pick up another reliever in case he does get a good gig.
Ursa
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Marvelous Merv » Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:40 pm

Ursa wrote:I probably should have mentioned my league uses Holds, so at the very least I'd get something out of him. Right now he's useless but I can't just drop him and pick up another reliever in case he does get a good gig.

Right now I lead my league in HLDs. I usually do, so I consider myself something of a HLD expert. I have to say that holding on to Wickman in the hopes that he picks up a significant number of holds is pretty sketchy. If you wanted my two cents, its almost always better to go with a hot HLD hand on the waiver wire over the past week or month than ever try to predict who MIGHT rack up HLDs on a regular basis. Kerry Wood would be a good example of someone you might THINK would get some HLDS, but not so much...
Marvelous Merv
College Coach
College Coach

Postby stevethumb » Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:56 pm

IllinoisBandit wrote:
stevethumb wrote:if you have the room grab pmoylan too...the guy has been solid

Moylan's going down like a rock. Can't locate his fastball lately. Maybe hitters have been watching tape on him. I think he swoons.

i don't know about that...moylan's given up 3 earned runs in his last 10 appearances and soriano has given up 6 earned runs in his last 10 (4 in one game)....soriano's the better K man but their whip's are comparable...moylan has the better ERA 2.04 to 3.56....moylan is better suited to come in w/runners on due to his great GB tendencies but soriano profiles as the prototypical closer type...look for moylan to grab a few saves in sept even if soriano gets the first call
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Ursa » Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:40 pm

Marvelous Merv wrote:
Ursa wrote:I probably should have mentioned my league uses Holds, so at the very least I'd get something out of him. Right now he's useless but I can't just drop him and pick up another reliever in case he does get a good gig.

Right now I lead my league in HLDs. I usually do, so I consider myself something of a HLD expert. I have to say that holding on to Wickman in the hopes that he picks up a significant number of holds is pretty sketchy. If you wanted my two cents, its almost always better to go with a hot HLD hand on the waiver wire over the past week or month than ever try to predict who MIGHT rack up HLDs on a regular basis. Kerry Wood would be a good example of someone you might THINK would get some HLDS, but not so much...

This sounds eminently sensible. The WW is where I do my best work. I think I'll go root in the bargain bin again...... :-D
Ursa
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ceLpH » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:47 am

Wickman was a terrible pitcher away from Turner Field.... his WHIP and ERA on the road was garbage which is why I wouldnt even give him a look in a holds league
http://cashcrate.com/408420

^easy money by filling out referrals and surveys
ceLpH
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates