Wickman designated for assignment!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Wickman designated for assignment!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Wickman designated for assignment!!

Postby Marvelous Merv » Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:17 pm

dubstar wrote: i didnt really expect them to cut wickman.

The fact that this caught so many by suprise - even in the sports press - shows just how little they know about what may REALLY being going on in a clubhouse. I've had Wickman as a closer on a few of my fantasy teams in the past three years, and this is the first time I've heard about what an ass he was.

I found an excerpt from this article (http://blog.cleveland.com/sports/2007/0 ... again.html) to be interesting.

"Shapiro traded Wickman to Atlanta last season when the Indians were out of the race and the Braves still on the fringe. They did so with the understanding that Wickman would retire after last season. When he re-signed with the Braves for 2007 for $6.5 million, leaving the Indians in a lurch for a closer, they were not happy."

What, the Indians traded Wickman to Atlanta with the understanding that if he came back with anyone for 2007 it would be them? Why did they care that he returned with Atlanta? They aren't even in their league? I don't get it...
Marvelous Merv
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Little Lee » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:08 pm

Octavio Dotel (shoulder) said he still believes he can come back this season, but he just doesn't know when.

With the Braves designating Bob Wickman for assignment this week, it would have been the perfect time for Dotel to return to assume the closer's job. However, he felt pain in his right triceps during a side session Friday and is without a timetable now. "September is the money month," said Dotel. Rafael Soriano is the best candidate for saves in the meantime.
Source: Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Related: Rafael Soriano
"A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore."
Yogi Berra
Little Lee
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Marvelous Merv » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:01 am

Cleveland is apparently not interested in signing Wickman. Right now it looks to me like there isn't a team out there, other than maybe Baltimore (effectively out of the race BUT they could still use SOMEONE who doesn't spend every 9th inning coughing up meatballs for the next month) who would hand him the closers role. I am going to hold on to him for a couple more days to see what happens, but unless a closing opportunity emerges I'll be dropping Wickman by midweek.
Marvelous Merv
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Marvelous Merv » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:17 am

It is now past time for dropping Wickman. I'll be tuning in next week once his ten days are over. By then his Yahoo Waivers will have expired and IF a closing opportunity emerges he'll be worth picking up again, perhaps. It all depends how desperate you are for saves.
Marvelous Merv
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates