Sick of Crazy offers??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sick of Crazy offers???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Thu Feb 12, 2004 12:05 pm

3 years ago, I may have been offered the worst trade ever. It was when Latroy Hawkins was closing.

The guy offered me Hawkins for Giambi. Jason Giambi.

The sad thing is that I ended up in 2nd to him that year.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby sigtaulefty » Thu Feb 12, 2004 12:28 pm

I was in dire need of some save help last year and I got lucky enough to find an owner who was willing to trade isringhausen (one week after he came back) to me straight up for Geoff Jenkins (who lasted only a couple more days before he went on the DL)
[b]"I'd like the thank the good lord for making me a Yankee"[/b] - Joe DiMaggio
sigtaulefty
College Coach
College Coach

Postby ironman » Thu Feb 12, 2004 1:57 pm

I can't recall any offers specifically but I always get a kick out of guys using extra superlatives to make the deal look out of this world.

Example: I'll give you staff ace Kip Wells and Jorge Posada (Number one catcher in AL) for Pedro Martinez (no. 2 in rotation).

All I think of is the old saying, "I'll give you this nice shiny nickel for that crummy old quarter!"
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 12, 2004 3:30 pm

trevisc wrote:I'd hate to give up too much for the player I want.

I'm just the opposite. If I really want a player, I'm start right off the bat showing I really want the guy.

If someone offers me a bogus offer, I usually laugh and decline and don't furthur discussions.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Ron Badger » Thu Feb 12, 2004 3:52 pm

Most of the trade offers I have gotten over the years in Yahoo leagues are like this. Say I have A-Rod, I am offered an abundance of lower tier players like say Durazo, Encarnation, and a 4th or 5th pitcher like Redding. I guess that the guy thinks that me getting three late round drafted players, for my first rounder is a good deal, but he is really hopeing that I am stupid.
Ron Badger Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby baseball genius » Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:20 pm

babaoriley7 wrote:I would say offer up something that is reasonable with some of the players that he is interested included in your side of the trade. Of course you should make sure you are getting the better half of the deal.

you will cut ties with people if you just offer "$hit" back to them, keep the lines open.

I agree, this is the best way to go.

Detroit Tigers 2004 World Series Champions
baseball genius
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Subversive » Thu Feb 12, 2004 7:29 pm

In the dynasty league I'm in, it's like pulling teeth to made trades with most of the owners, and one in particular. He always overvalues his players so dramatically.

A couple weeks ago, I enquired about K-rod, since i have Percival, and I would like some insurance.

He replied that he would think about it, then came back and offered me K-rod for Santana and Lieberthal. So I countered with Hermanson and David Bell for Rodriquez. Needless to say, the deal didn't get done. :)
Bah, humbug.
Subversive
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby swoosh3esq » Thu Feb 12, 2004 8:08 pm

I agree that there are those that make ridiculous trade offers. Sadly, it does little more than tarnish reputation and negotiating power. However, a good negotiaters will rarely make an inital offer that is tantamount to what they are actually willing to give up. It is also a good stragety to have the other team make the initial offer. If the first offer is b.s., tell him if he wants so and so, make a real offer and we'll see what we can do. IF a real offer is made, you will immediatly have the advantage in that you will have a ballpark idea of how he values the players involved in the trade. Becasue inital offers are rarely what the person will actually be willing to give up, there is wiggle room to get more bang for your buck through further negotiations.
swoosh3esq
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Honus » Thu Feb 12, 2004 9:09 pm

I just accept all trade offers because I am sure that nobody would ever try to cheat me.
We don't like their sound, and guitar music is on the way out. Decca Recording, 1962
New opinions are always suspected, and usually opposed, without any other reason but because they are not already common. John Locke
Fortune favors the bold. Virgil
Honus
College Coach
College Coach

Postby DK » Thu Feb 12, 2004 9:30 pm

Honus wrote:I just accept all trade offers because I am sure that nobody would ever try to cheat me.

Come to my league!
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers