Sick of Crazy offers??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sick of Crazy offers???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Sick of Crazy offers???

Postby fantasy_gamer » Thu Feb 12, 2004 12:21 am

I've been playing with the same guys for 5 years now in my keeper league, but still get TERRIBLE offers each and every time from the same owners.

We add $3 per year kept here. It's 6x6 Roto (normal 5x5 plus HITTER K's and HOLDS the other two)

Examples:
Last August -- I Give Blalock($1) and get Edguardo Alfonzo ($20)
Today -- I Give Carlos Zambrano ($4) and Edwin Jackson (free this year) for Geoff 'whiffmaster' Jenkins.

What are the worst offers you've received from guys you've been playing with for awhile? And what do you say to respond to their offers??
fantasy_gamer

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby kentx12 » Thu Feb 12, 2004 12:26 am

I always something stupid back like Furcal for Arod something like that.

There will come a day when Barry Bonds leaves baseball, and everything about the game will be the better for it.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby nsulham » Thu Feb 12, 2004 12:29 am

I usually counter ridiculous offers with the like.

Example, someone offered me Pierre and Hudson for my Soriano. I countered with Soriano for Pierre, Hudson and Manny Ramirez. He called me an idiot for offering such a bogus deal. I just smiled at him and waited for the light to smack him in the eyes.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Bukoski77 » Thu Feb 12, 2004 12:58 am

Lol, I have lost count of the ones I keep getting over the years. I think my best low ball offers so far this year are my Vazquez/Boone 1st & 3rd round draft picks plus my 1st minor league draft pick for Vidro/P.Martinez. Lol, Vidro has more long term keeper value than Boone but going into this year like Pedro is really worth downgradeing 2nd base and Vazquez's long term value for those picks. The other was for when does my arm go out Luis Gonzalez for Vazquez
:-°

The real killer for me is when other owners try and explain to me how their proposed low ball offers really help my team :-B .
"Son we would like to keep you around here but were trying to win a pennant this year."
Bukoski77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby trevisc » Thu Feb 12, 2004 9:48 am

I usually "lowball" my fellow managers when I offer a trade too. I'd hate to give up too much for the player I want. I don't take it as an insult if I get an offer that is lopsided rather I look at the players from my team that they are interested in and work up a counter offer. If you've ever bought or sold a house you'll see that it is no different. It's all about supply and demand. Now if you counter back and someone counters another silly, slap-in-the-face offer, then it's time to move on to another manager.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby phatjagz14 » Thu Feb 12, 2004 10:08 am

I've been doing a 10 team Yahoo league with the same guys for the 5th year now. Right after we drafted this year (in a chat room) I got offered Tom Glavine and Ryan Klesko for Todd Helton. The best way to counter $hit is with $hit so I countered Kip Wells for Manny Ramirez.
phatjagz14
College Coach
College Coach

Postby trevisc » Thu Feb 12, 2004 10:15 am

phatjagz14 wrote:I've been doing a 10 team Yahoo league with the same guys for the 5th year now. Right after we drafted this year (in a chat room) I got offered Tom Glavine and Ryan Klesko for Todd Helton. The best way to counter $hit is with $hit so I countered Kip Wells for Manny Ramirez.

well..after 5 years you should know what to expect from that guy.

We're going on our 2nd year and I already know of 2 guys that will send crazy offers. I'll be ready to counter as soon as that happens
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby Madison » Thu Feb 12, 2004 11:17 am

Happens every year. I discussed this with one of the guys that did it a lot last year and he told me that once in awhile the other owner accidentally clicks the wrong button and the trade gets accepted. 8-o

Make sure you guys are hitting the "Reject" button when ridiculous offers come in.

We removed a guy like that from one of my leagues last year.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Feb 12, 2004 11:24 am

With all of the crazy offers I am always amazed that any trades ever get done.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby babaoriley7 » Thu Feb 12, 2004 11:36 am

I would say offer up something that is reasonable with some of the players that he is interested included in your side of the trade. Of course you should make sure you are getting the better half of the deal.

you will cut ties with people if you just offer "$hit" back to them, keep the lines open.
babaoriley7
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers