Reyes IS the most exciting player in the game... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Reyes IS the most exciting player in the game...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Reyes IS the most exciting player in the game...

Postby dipset » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:47 pm

Yoda wrote:
dipset wrote:Shortstop is much tougher to play than first base.... put pujols at short and he wont do what reyes does

So Reyes is a better athlete but that doesn't make him a better baseball player. The hardest thing to do in sports is to hit a baseball. Until Reyes is even close to a top 10 hitter in baseball, I would not consider him anywhere near the most exciting player no matter how many bases he steals.

Ya its more exciting to watch a 330 hitter single 20 more times than a 300 hitter during the season than watch a guy steal 70 more bases and hit triples.... :-?
dipset
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:00 pm

dipset wrote:
Yoda wrote:
dipset wrote:Shortstop is much tougher to play than first base.... put pujols at short and he wont do what reyes does

So Reyes is a better athlete but that doesn't make him a better baseball player. The hardest thing to do in sports is to hit a baseball. Until Reyes is even close to a top 10 hitter in baseball, I would not consider him anywhere near the most exciting player no matter how many bases he steals.

Ya its more exciting to watch a 330 hitter single 20 more times than a 300 hitter during the season than watch a guy steal 70 more bases and hit triples.... :-?

Or hit 30+ more HRs... no worries just minor detail. ;-7
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby rails80 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:59 am

Wow - this thread took on a life of its own. The most replies I've ever had to a topic I started - and they aren't even about the topic I started! :*)
rails80
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response TeamFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 237)

Postby nyrblue2 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:21 am

Yoda wrote:The hardest thing to do in sports is to hit a baseball.

I think the hardest thing to do in baseball is throw a perfect game.

The hardest thing to do in sports is understand how the hell cricket is played...
nyrblue2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby great gretzky » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:10 am

Um I think the hardest thing to do in sports is a hole in one. I know hitting a baseball is hard and all, but it happens at least once in every game.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby KCollins1304 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:17 pm

When people say the hardest thing to do in sports is hit a baseball they mean it is harder than say catching a football or making a shot in basketball, the normal actions that you do in different sports. I could say "well hitting a baseball isn't harder than scoring 500 points in a basketball game", while true it is not what is intended when people say that.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dipset » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:12 pm

dipset wrote:
Yoda wrote:

Well you said top 10 hitter, not top 10 homerun hitter....
dipset
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:54 pm

dipset wrote:Well you said top 10 hitter, not top 10 homerun hitter....

The point is, people don't get out of their seat when someone steals a base. But when someone hits the ball out of the park, people usually do because they are excited. Again, minor detail.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby davidmarver » Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:19 am

The most exciting player in baseball is still Barry Bonds.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby J35J » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:41 pm

Its really pretty easy....what happens when Bonds, Pujols, Arod, MCab, Manny, Ortiz, Pronk, etc, etc are at the plate? For me I stop what I am doing and I watch. What happens when Reyes gets on first base? For me I don't stop what I am doing to watch....is Reyes exciting? Absolutely, but he can't hold a candle to the greats of the game.

Some guys I haven't seen get mentioned....though I haven't looked at every post..... What about Santana, Hamels, Lincecum, Peavy, Bedard, etc, etc, etc. I'd much rather watch the top end pitchers with electric stuff pitch than watch Reyes as well. Actually, I may get more excited to watch Santana, Peavy, etc pitch than to even watch Bonds, Pujols, etc....though that is splitting hairs with me.

Obviously, to each his own! ;-D
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 398)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers