Reyes IS the most exciting player in the game... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Reyes IS the most exciting player in the game...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Reyes IS the most exciting player in the game...

Postby George_Foreman » Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:41 pm

Can anyone remember a discussion about who the "most exciting player in baseball" was before ESPN decided that was another way they could spend hours and hours talking about a NY-market team?

Sure, Reyes is "exciting" if SBs get you off. But give me Santana throwing a complete game. Or Rivera locking up a save. Or any of a thousand other things. Reyes does some really cool things on the bases, and steals are fun. But the "arguement" is pointless, and more importantly, completely subjective. So the next time you have an orgasm because Reyes stole 3rd WITHOUTATHROWOMG, just post something in cheering/venting rather than here.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pokerplaya » Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:46 pm

George_Foreman wrote:Can anyone remember a discussion about who the "most exciting player in baseball" was before ESPN decided that was another way they could spend hours and hours talking about a NY-market team?

Sure, Reyes is "exciting" if SBs get you off. But give me Santana throwing a complete game. Or Rivera locking up a save. Or any of a thousand other things. Reyes does some really cool things on the bases, and steals are fun. But the "arguement" is pointless, and more importantly, completely subjective. So the next time you have an orgasm because Reyes stole 3rd WITHOUTATHROWOMG, just post something in cheering/venting rather than here.

Talk about bitter. First off, relax. Secondly, what isn't subjective when talking about players? You can cite stats all you want for any player, but the fact of the matter is the way the stats are interpreted is completely subjective. So a talk about an "exciting" is par for the course as far as I'm concerned and completely harmless. I just don't understand why people get so upset over it.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby George_Foreman » Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:50 pm

Well, I disagree insofar as I can say Player A has hit .330 this year while Player B has hit .300. Therefore, player A has been the better hitter. I mean, it's really hard to interpret those numbers in a way that makes Player B the better hitter, no? "Excitement" is an emotion, caused by things unique to each individual. "Base hit" is a thing which is observed and codified by MLB. I don't see how one can conflate them and say they're both subjective.

As for bitter, well, maybe in the Reyes+Wright4MVP thread. But not really in this one.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby pokerplaya » Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:57 pm

George_Foreman wrote:Well, I disagree insofar as I can say Player A has hit .330 this year while Player B has hit .300. Therefore, player A has been the better hitter. I mean, it's really hard to interpret those numbers in a way that makes Player B the better hitter, no? "Excitement" is an emotion, caused by things unique to each individual. "Base hit" is a thing which is observed and codified by MLB. I don't see how one can conflate them and say they're both subjective.

As for bitter, well, maybe in the Reyes+Wright4MVP thread. But not really in this one.

While I do agree that Hanley has been a better hitter this year, there is a whole slew of stats that are also taken into consideration when discussing a players worth. Hanley will be ahead in some, Reyes in others. It's when you have to take all of these stats and formulate who you think is a "better player" for fantasy or real life both, that it becomes subjective.

Also, how can someone truly rate the defensive aptitude of a player? Sure, there are stats that attempt to do so, but they are simply a mathematical attempt to quantify the defensive skills of a player. And while they have their use, they are very flawed, and the only way to really understand a players defensive talent is to watch with your own eyes. And that is the very definition of subjective.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby rails80 » Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:48 pm

For all those who say Reyes isn't exciting, you aren't offering up any names of who is a more exciting ballplayer to watch. So far all I've heard is that Hanley Ramirez is a better player, and that people would rather "have" Pujols or Miggy.

Who do you all think is the most exciting baseball player to watch. Don't give me stats. Give me reasons. ;-)
rails80
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response TeamFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 254)

Postby Yoda » Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:05 pm

rails80 wrote:For all those who say Reyes isn't exciting, you aren't offering up any names of who is a more exciting ballplayer to watch. So far all I've heard is that Hanley Ramirez is a better player, and that people would rather "have" Pujols or Miggy.

Who do you all think is the most exciting baseball player to watch. Don't give me stats. Give me reasons. ;-)

People saying that they consider Pujols, Miggy and Hanley to be more exciting since they are better than Reyes. Not sure how you missed it.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby rails80 » Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:23 pm

I missed how better translates to more exciting. Give me reasons they are more exciting... not why they are better.
rails80
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response TeamFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 254)

Postby bceagles04 » Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:08 pm

rails80 wrote:I missed how better translates to more exciting. Give me reasons they are more exciting... not why they are better.

I agree. The fact that Albert Pujols is a better hitter than Reyes has nothing to do with whether or not he is more exciting to watch...
bceagles04
General Manager
General Manager

Postby dipset » Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:47 pm

Yoda wrote:
rails80 wrote:For all those who say Reyes isn't exciting, you aren't offering up any names of who is a more exciting ballplayer to watch. So far all I've heard is that Hanley Ramirez is a better player, and that people would rather "have" Pujols or Miggy.

People saying that they consider Pujols, Miggy and Hanley to be more exciting since they are better than Reyes. Not sure how you missed it.

What are they better at? hitting? thats just one part of the game. Reyes is better at fielding, throwing, and baserunning. SO that would make reyes better than them at 3/4 concepts of the game right there. So just cause the other 3 are better hitters how does it make them better baseball players?
dipset
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby SJNez46 » Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:41 pm

ya, Reyes isnt as good as Hanley in H2H because he dominates in only one category,
^ Thanks a ton to Big Pimpin for the sig.^
My Sigs http://www.freewebs.com/sjnez46/sjnez46ssiggallery.htm
SJNez46
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics ExpertWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers