Fantasy Football Draft Help - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Fantasy Football Draft Help

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Fantasy Football Draft Help

Postby pokerplaya » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:42 pm

I haven't played FFB in about 5 years - but I am playing a money league this year with work folk. The draft is scheduled for Sunday, but I am utterly clueless....

This is what I know...draft your RB/RB's first unless you take Manning in round 1...

Then I'm clueless. Does anyone have any tips?
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Fantasy Football Draft Help

Postby sportsguy138 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:33 pm

Well, this was my first year drafting a team as well in fantasy football, but I'll see what I can help you with. :-o

The one thing I recommend you do is to go to the beginner forum there and just browse through threads. It's definitely very useful and gives a lot of information.

Wait for a kicker and defensive team the last couple rounds and let a sucker reach for a solid defense early. Supposedly you can find good defenses on the WW during the season, so there's no point of drafting the Bears/Ravens early.

You need top RB/WR (get more info in beginners forum).

You don't need a back-up TE if you already have a solid one (just pick one up on the bye week of the player).

Other than that I don't really know. Take a look at the mock drafts and that should help you a lot! The Light Side isn't as bad as they say it is, there are some good guys that give some quality info there. ;-D
sportsguy138
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 363)

Postby roninmedia » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:47 pm

Explore the other side. They don't bite.......often. O:-)
roninmedia
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby davidmarver » Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:51 pm

Use the FFC's rankings. I recommend RB/RB/WR with your first three picks. Be sure your first two runningbacks don't have the same bye week. Gates is a viable option at the end of round 3 as well. I recommend taking a few sleeper QBs instead of spending a high pick on one, and simply play matchups. A third running back should be picked no later than the sixth round, in my opinion. Cutler, Losman, and Roethlisberger are a few QBs I think are going to surprise this season and can be had real cheap; Cutler especially. Draft a kicker in the last round, if you even draft one...sometimes you're better off adding a runningback who could potentially win the job out of camp. A guy like Michael Bush -- possibly replace Lamont -- comes to mind.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Field » Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:57 pm

Number of teams, league settings, starting slots, and your draft position would allow me to give you some better advice on the topic.

I havent been as active reading up on the light side this year; however, I just had a 14 team draft a few days ago so I spent the entire last week reading as many pages on that side as possible and other FF websites.

I could probably give you some pretty solid advice if you could provide me with that information.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Madison » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:03 pm

Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:12 am

So, there IS such thing as a Fantasy Football Cafe? Hmmm...

Anyway, I like loading up on 3 top-notch RB's, a starting QB with above average potential (i.e. Brees), and 1 top-tier WR with a solid enough #2 WR. Invest in defense later (don't reach for Chicago) and get a kicker much later.

With that said, I haven't even joined a league yet this year. :*)

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby cordscords » Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:02 pm

Depending on who is available, I usually do this:

1. RB
2. RB
3. WR
4. WR
5. WR
6. QB/TE

And if all the RB that I'm high on are gone:

1. RB
2. WR
3. WR
4. RB
5. RB
6. WR
7. QB/TE
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby Jimboozie » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:10 pm

Most important thing is to DO YOUR HOMEWORK!

-Make sure you know your league rules and settings in and out. For example, if QBs get 6 points for TD passes, then it might be worth it to get one in the 3rd/4th round. Or if your league awards points per catch, then certain guys like Brian Westbrook and Joseph Addai should be bumped up and taken over non pass catching backs like Rudi Johnson.

-Have multiple cheat sheets and current rankings at your disposal and try to soak up as much FF info you can. Rankings, tiered rankings, current injury reports, who's impressing at training camp and preseason, try a few mock drafts, etc. etc. The more you know, the better.

-Encourage your league mates to get really drunk before and during the draft! :-b

-It's not the worst idea to splurge for a top defense like Chicago, but absolutey, under any circumstances, DO NOT draft a kicker until the last round or second last round.

And have fun. :-D ;-D
Jimboozie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to General Talk