How for real is Bannister? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How for real is Bannister?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How for real is Bannister?

Postby BJSFAN123 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:58 pm

What are your opinions? He doesn't get many K's but overall his numbers for a rookie are awesome. Is he a risk to start or what?
BJSFAN123
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: How for real is Bannister?

Postby J35J » Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:12 pm

Absolutely start him if you can, if for no other reason than ride out the hot streak.

With that said.....eehhh...yes he is for real. 3.2 ERA 1.10 WHIP for real....No. But I think of him very similar to Shaun Marcum. Both have 4 pitches of which they can throw at any time. Both have very good control. Both are bull dogs on the mound, ie, not scared, don't get rattled, not afraid to go right after hitters. Neither have "great" stuff but are willing to change speeds on all of their pitches at any time. Marcum does have a little better stuff, which is why he strikes out more, though I think that will gradually come down some but overall I think they go about pitching very similarly.

With that said Bannister will be a much better real life pitcher than fantasy pitcher because of his lack of K's. While he is hot it doesn't matter how much he K's but once he reverts back to his norm....which I think can be 3.75-4.00 ERA and a sub 1.25 WHIP then his value is shaky unless you are in deep leagues.

Ride him while he is hot for sure!
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 421)

Postby Tavish » Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:58 pm

He is as much of a risk as any other middle tier starter. Like Jason said, as long as he is on this hot streak there is not much of a reason to sit him. If/when he does cool off you should be a little more selective in his starts.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 34)

Postby mbuser » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:33 pm

dude's been on a hot streak for 3 months. since june 1: 15 GS, 10 W, 2.86 ERA, 1.05 WHIP in 100.2 IP. J35J, what are you basing his norm off of, as this is his rookie season (38.0 IP last season)?
mbuser
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 20)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:46 am

Start him, no reason not to unless you have a weekly lineup in addition to either an incredible pitching staff or an abundance of 2 start pitchers that week.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby J35J » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:22 am

mbuser wrote:dude's been on a hot streak for 3 months. since june 1: 15 GS, 10 W, 2.86 ERA, 1.05 WHIP in 100.2 IP. J35J, what are you basing his norm off of, as this is his rookie season (38.0 IP last season)?

Norm for me would be the track record of just about every MLB guy with his type of stuff. I'd eat my shoe if he finishes '08 with a sub 3.50 ERA....with that said I don't think he is awful by any means....I just expect those numbers to drop down closer to a 4 ERA and closer to a 1.25 WHIP with still poor SO totals. Don't get me wrong, I love that Bannister is on the Royals and on a couple of my fantasy teams but I'm not expecting these numbers out of him next year or for his career. With that said....PLEASE prove me wrong Bannister, PLEASE!!! ;-D
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 421)

Return to Baseball Leftovers