peavy, this year vs. last - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

peavy, this year vs. last

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

peavy, this year vs. last

Postby dougbies » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:22 am

does anyone know what jake peavy has done this year to turn things around. His numbers last year were not good. this year he seems to be striking out more and have a great era. Has he added a pitch, done somethign different with his pitches? any ideas why he has turned things around so greatly?
dougbies
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: peavy, this year vs. last

Postby Jackalope » Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:58 am

Take it for what it's worth - I was watching the SD game last night and the announcer was saying that the biggest difference between Peavy this year and last was health.

That he's been battling nagging injuries for the last few seasons etc.
Jackalope
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby J35J » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:06 am

I don't think he really turned things around so much as reverted back to the norm. He's always been a great pitcher....last year was a mix of bad luck, off year, and some injuries. This year, like '04 and '05, is the norm. Keep in mind also that he is still just 26 years old......oh and last year was still a very good year.....just not the norm for him.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 398)

Postby KCollins1304 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:21 am

Also last season I believe he either didn't have his contacts or had the wrong prescription or something along those lines.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby masterpinky0509 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:37 pm

Actually, last year the statistics indicate his poor season was an aberration. Given his still-great K rate (he had 200+ on the year) he should have given up fewer hits w/ a normal BABIP. Also, he didn't walk too many, so his WHIP should have been low and his ERA should have been somewhere in the 3.00-3.50 range.

That being said, he's still about a run better than that this year, so why? The biggest statistical reason is the fact that he's given up like 6 homers all year, which is incredible and hard to believe. Most pitchers give up a homer every 9 innings or so, for about 20-25 on the year. That's par for the course. Peavy last year gave up 20-something, so he wasn't particularly good or bad in that area.

Considering he has great stuff, I could see him giving up less than the normal amount of homers, but 6 all year is really almost as much an aberration as his poor performance last year.

I'd expect him to stabilize somewhere in the range of 18 homers allowed next year over 200+ innings, and for him to sit around a 2.75 ERA.

To answer the actual question, Peavy has given Greg Maddux a lot of credit for his turn-around. That could just be him talking, but he claims that Maddux has helped him out w/ the mental part of the game. So there it is. Additional evidence for that point might be Chris Young's outstanding performance.
masterpinky0509
College Coach
College Coach

Postby RugbyD » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:03 pm

I trace it back to one thing and one thing only - no WBC.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby bleach168 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:50 pm

masterpinky0509 wrote:Actually, last year the statistics indicate his poor season was an aberration. Given his still-great K rate (he had 200+ on the year) he should have given up fewer hits w/ a normal BABIP. Also, he didn't walk too many, so his WHIP should have been low and his ERA should have been somewhere in the 3.00-3.50 range.

That being said, he's still about a run better than that this year, so why? The biggest statistical reason is the fact that he's given up like 6 homers all year, which is incredible and hard to believe. Most pitchers give up a homer every 9 innings or so, for about 20-25 on the year. That's par for the course. Peavy last year gave up 20-something, so he wasn't particularly good or bad in that area.

Considering he has great stuff, I could see him giving up less than the normal amount of homers, but 6 all year is really almost as much an aberration as his poor performance last year.

I'd expect him to stabilize somewhere in the range of 18 homers allowed next year over 200+ innings, and for him to sit around a 2.75 ERA.

This.

Basically, Peavy was unlucky last year and is lucky this year. It just goes to show you how much ERA, WHIP, and Wins can fluctuate year to year from essentially the same pitcher. A lot of people will avoid drafting pitchers high because of these fluctuations but in the long run, a staff full of Peavys is going to way outperform a staff full of Pennys, so the cost of elite pitchers is justified.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 17)

Postby talan37 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:09 pm

Maddux in his hey-day was an absolute master at keeping the ball in the park, so if Peavy says he has helped I would tend to believe it.

Maddux:
1992-7 hrs, 268 innings
1994-4 hrs, 202 innings. Thats just flatout ridiculous
1995-8 hrs, 209 innings.
1996-11 hrs, 245 innings
1997 9 hrs, 232 innings

During this ridiculous HR era we are in, thats ridiculously impressive, and if you want to learn, you learn from the best. I can't think of any modern pitcher who sustained such a low HR rate for so many years.(Pedro/clemens/johnson all had similar years once or maybe twice at most)
Check out my blog at http://www.rotopulse.com for fantasy baseball analysis, injury reports, commissioner info and more. For laughs check out http://www.sportshysterics.com
talan37
College Coach
College Coach

Trivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Snakes Gould » Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:43 pm

didnt something happen with his eyes? new contacts or something?

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dipset » Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:58 pm

Shoulder tendonitis might have a little bit to do with it..... ;-7
dipset
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers