Sheffield out-DL? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Sheffield out-DL?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Sheffield out-DL?

Postby colsod01 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:50 pm

just in from Rotoworld
Gary Sheffield will rest his sore right shoulder on Wednesday night and said he might need to go on the disabled list.

Sheffield hasn't driven in a run in six games, and he's hitting .185 with one homer this month. "It's time for me to shut it down and get myself right," he said. "I'm doing myself and my team a disservice (by playing)." Marcus Thames and Cameron Maybin both figure to play regularly while Sheffield is out.
Source: Booth Newspapers

wrong forum maybe(could also be in dtkw)-but is time to cut the lost production?
colsod01
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Sheffield out-DL?

Postby sandman042 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:51 pm

i rember at the end of arpil i was really close to dropping sheffield and then he was a monster till the allstar break and then he got this shoulder injury thats been nagging him ever since. hopefully 2 weeks is good enough b/c playoffs start for me in two weeks. i wouldnt cut him though maybe rest will be good for him.

edit: on espn says hes out indefintity.
sandman042
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Mr. Baseball » Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:10 pm

should i drop him if he goes to dl because i am in first week of playoffs...semifinals is two weeks as is championship..he is no good to me this week and more than likely the following two weeks if he goes dl on me...that leaves one week in championship final week
Mr. Baseball
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 6)

Postby ryan4980 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:25 pm

if you have the roster space, keep him. but from the sound of it here in detroit he could be out for a while.... he's not the kind of guy you want to cut though. he wants to play and most of the time, if he's playing hurt he's still better than most options on the WW.
ryan4980
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby clarkw267 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:54 am

Yeah.. if you have room on your bench I wouldn't drop Sheff, since he could come back and hit you 4 or 5 HRs in a week if he's right....

I have a feeling he is out for 2-3 weeks at least though... I mean the guy needed treatment in between every AB. There is only so much cortisone you can pump into a man. What a horrible time for the Tigers too... a healthy Sheff would've won them a game or two a week recently, as Maggs and Guillen have been carrying the offense on their backs.
clarkw267
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 10)

Postby ryan4980 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:48 am

Leyland keeps calling him day-to-day but if you listen to what Sheffield is saying he doesn't plan on playing until he is good to go. Watching the games when he was really hurting you could see he wasn't the same guy. Swinging at horrible pitches and not making contact. Also, he was swinging right through fastballs which is something he never does when he's healthy.
ryan4980
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Dobber » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:00 pm

I read this morning that he may be out close to the 15 day DL time, but they don't think he'll actually go on the DL, hoping for a few days. With rosters set to expand a week from tomorrow, they can afford to go a couple days w/o an extra bat and it doesn't hurt the team. IMO, he'd be DL if it were May or June.
Dobber
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Grouperman941 » Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:32 pm

Dobber wrote:I read this morning that he may be out close to the 15 day DL time, but they don't think he'll actually go on the DL, hoping for a few days. With rosters set to expand a week from tomorrow, they can afford to go a couple days w/o an extra bat and it doesn't hurt the team. IMO, he'd be DL if it were May or June.

Doesn't hurt the TIgers, but it bugs the heck out of fantasy owners who can't pick up a replacement if he's not DL'd. :-t

Sheff always does this -- admirable, I guess, but annoying in fantasy.
Be excellent to each other.
Grouperman941
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Ryno23 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:34 am

Detroit Free Press
Gary Sheffield's right shoulder kept him out of the lineup again Sunday, and it is becoming increasingly difficult to predict when he might return.

Though the club has said he could be back for this week's series in Kansas City, Sheffield said Sunday that he might not make the trip. When asked if it's possible that he's done for the season, Sheffield said, "I can't say. I really can't say."

He added: "I've done everything. I've had two cortisone shots in my shoulder. We might have to do a third, but is the third one going to fix the issue?

"This feels more like an injury than being hurt. I've had shoulder issues before. I can play with pain. I can play with being hurt. When it's an injury, then it's different."

He's got a strange way with words, that's for sure.
Ryno23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Little Lee » Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:08 pm

I also read he will not be making the upcoming road trip with the team to KC
"A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore."
Yogi Berra
Little Lee
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor