Leyland - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Leyland

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Leyland

Postby dillpickle » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:29 pm

Will someone please explain to me what Leyland thinks as it relates to his pitching staff? Jurrjens throws 6.2 innings of one hit ball while accumulating 78 pitches (50 strikes). Pulls him. I'm as big of a Zumaya fan as there is out there, but I was cussing and swearing up a storm watching him come into the game. The bullpen held the lead and the Tiger's won, but that isn't the point of what is happening in Detroit. I can't wait until tomorrow when Verlander throws his typical 5 innings of 120 pitch ball (85 balls, 35 strikes) and then Leyland tell the media that he needs his starters to go longer in the games. He contradicts himself every time he opens his mouth when he talks about the starters and the bullpen. At this point, Jurrjens is the Tiger's best starting pitcher, which is probably a sad statement. The reason he is the best starter is that the guy is always around the plate, challenging hitters, and throwing strikes. Not a single other starter for the Tiger's will consistantly challenge hitters and throw strikes. That is another sad statement considering the stuff that the likes of Verlander and Bonderman both have.

As you can see, I'm frustrated. I'm happy the Tigers won, but there is more to it then just the "W" tonight. The underlying story of the problems the Tiger's have had this season.
dillpickle
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Leyland

Postby BJSFAN123 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:45 pm

uhh Jurrjens is just a kid and is probably under a strict pitch count right now, no need to risk him..
BJSFAN123
General Manager
General Manager

Re: Leyland

Postby dillpickle » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:51 am

Huh??? 78 pitches? He's a major league pitcher. Has been in the Tiger's system for a while. If they haven't gotten him to the point he can throw 100 pitches by August, the organization as whole has failed. Leyland is a joke as it relates to handling his pitching staff. Has been all year.
dillpickle
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Baseball Leftovers