Cole Hamels Will Miss Start Tomorrow - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Cole Hamels Will Miss Start Tomorrow

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Cole Hamels Will Miss Start Tomorrow

Postby Secret Avatar » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:38 am

As a Hamels owner in a keeper league in which I'm currently in 2nd and need a strong stretch run from my rotation, and in a season in which I kept Carpenter and Sheets, all I can say is . . .

:-P :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P

I've got a bad feeling about this. Hamels has clearly been bothered by something over the last month (his K/9 fell off the charts) and this is likely the reason. Every time I hear "sore elbow" a little voice whispers in my ear "Tommy John, Tommy John . . ."
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby petert » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:31 pm

in all likelyhood, hamels will be shut down for the year........ prepare yourself Hamel owners. I know i am.
petert
College Coach
College Coach

Postby chiswede » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:36 pm

petert wrote:in all likelyhood, hamels will be shut down for the year........ prepare yourself Hamel owners. I know i am.
It's certainly not out of the question, but is this anything more than speculation?
10 Team Yahoo Private League Record
2003-1st
2004-1st
2005-2nd
2006-1st
2007-1st
2008-1st
2009-8th
2010-2nd
2011-10th
chiswede
College Coach
College Coach

Postby petert » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:50 pm

total speculation but does Liriano ring a bell. I'm not sure if its a similiar injury or not but look what happened when they rushed him back.

So I ask everybody here, why would they bring him back?

The kid is 23 years old and the future ace for many years to come.

They will shut him down.
petert
College Coach
College Coach

Postby chiswede » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:08 pm

petert wrote:total speculation but does Liriano ring a bell. I'm not sure if its a similiar injury or not but look what happened when they rushed him back.

So I ask everybody here, why would they bring him back?

The kid is 23 years old and the future ace for many years to come.

They will shut him down.

I agree, but I think some of this is dependent on how far out of the Wild Card race they are on September 1st. If they're out of it, he ain't pitching for sure.
2003-1st
2004-1st
2005-2nd
2006-1st
2007-1st
2008-1st
2009-8th
2010-2nd
2011-10th
chiswede
College Coach
College Coach

Postby captoats85 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:15 pm

"# A lot of you asked about what I meant when I said "tricky language" yesterday in my discussion of Cole Hamels' elbow. Most of the reports said "medial collateral ligament strain." It's correct, even precise, but it's also something of a misdirection. To most--likely not readers of this column--they'll hear this, not recognize what's being said, and move on. However, you might notice that the medial collateral is another word for a more sinister-sounding piece of anatomy--the ulnar collateral ligament. Like the pronunciation of "abduction," synonymical words don't necessarily mean much beyond a preference and who taught the doctor or trainer. Hamels' ligaments seem intact, according to the reading of a contrast MRI taken just before he was placed on the DL, but there is damage, which suggests that there's something off with his mechanics or that he's reached beyond the fatigue point and is seeing damage. It should surprise no one that Hamels just exceeded his previous career innings high by 30. Given his history of injuries, it's hard to nail down just where Hamels should be--injuries are the biggest exception to the Rule of 30. One thing is sure--Hamels' long-term health is going to be one of the biggest factors in whether the Phillies are good in years to come."

FROM: http://baseballprospectus.com/article.p ... cleid=6622
captoats85
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Little Lee » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:04 pm

Good news for Hamels owners?

Cole Hamels threw on the side before Saturday's game and said his injured left elbow felt fine.

"There was no soreness. It was all good," said Hamels, who is eligible to come off the disabled list Saturday. He threw from about 80 feet, is expected to throw from a mound Tuesday and then have another bullpen session later in the week. There's a chance Hamels will rejoin the rotation in Florida on Saturday or next Sunday.
Source: Philadelphia Inquirer
"A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore."
Yogi Berra
Little Lee
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby chiswede » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:41 pm

Little Lee wrote:Good news for Hamels owners?

Cole Hamels threw on the side before Saturday's game and said his injured left elbow felt fine.

"There was no soreness. It was all good," said Hamels, who is eligible to come off the disabled list Saturday. He threw from about 80 feet, is expected to throw from a mound Tuesday and then have another bullpen session later in the week. There's a chance Hamels will rejoin the rotation in Florida on Saturday or next Sunday.
Source: Philadelphia Inquirer

Good news would be an understatement! ;-D
2003-1st
2004-1st
2005-2nd
2006-1st
2007-1st
2008-1st
2009-8th
2010-2nd
2011-10th