Cole Hamels Will Miss Start Tomorrow - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Cole Hamels Will Miss Start Tomorrow

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Cole Hamels Will Miss Start Tomorrow

Postby chiswede » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:15 am

Snakes Gould wrote:
BitterDodgerFan wrote:ugh...elbow...could that lead to a TJ surgery? sucks, i just traded for him in a keeper league.

well it could but i think you're WAY ahead of yourselves here. its just a sore elbow really, which a lot of young pitchers get early on in their careers. hes never pitched this amount of innings before. he'll miss the start tomorrow and probably one more. anything else would be a surprise and shock to anyone. cole was talkin after the game and it seemed like this was a precautionary thing.

I hope you're right man. With Utley, Victorino and Pence finally coming off my DL soon, the last thing I can afford is losing my ace for a week or 2 of the playoffs.
10 Team Yahoo Private League Record
2003-1st
2004-1st
2005-2nd
2006-1st
2007-1st
2008-1st
2009-8th
2010-2nd
2011-10th
chiswede
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby m16a » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:56 am

My gosh this is so annoying... The Phillies simply CANNOT get a break here. Howard goes out, half the bullpen, the starting rotation. Then Utley. Victorino and Bourn go out. Now Hamels??? One of the only good things in the Phillies rotation?? If this team manages to make the play offs with the huge amount of injuries to significant players, even as a Phillies fan, I'm going to be shocked. All I can say is, Rollins, Rowand, Gooch, and Howard better start hittin the ball like mad.. *Gulps* Good luck Cole, get well soon!!
:-o :-o
m16a
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe WriterFootball Mod
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:17 am

i wouldn't mind if cole shut it down for the year...he's one of my keepers and i got my pitching cats locked down in roto...
please cole, rest the elbow and come back whenever its FULLY healed.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby wildbill » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:31 am

No one should be shocked by this. Dopey Manuel likes to run his pitchers into the ground or at least until their arms start to fall off. I really don't understand the manager of the year talk when he has no idea how to handle a pitching staff. Now if there was a worst manager of the year award he could be in the running for that. I firmly believe the Phillies would be in first place right now if they had a manager and pitching coach that actually knew how to handle a pitching staff.
wildbill
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby captoats85 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:04 am

wildbill wrote:No one should be shocked by this. Dopey Manuel likes to run his pitchers into the ground or at least until their arms start to fall off. I really don't understand the manager of the year talk when he has no idea how to handle a pitching staff. Now if there was a worst manager of the year award he could be in the running for that. I firmly believe the Phillies would be in first place right now if they had a manager and pitching coach that actually knew how to handle a pitching staff.

How exactly has Hamels been run into the ground? He's averaging a very reasonable 101 P/GS and his season high is 118, back in May. I don't see how he has been run into the ground. Hamels is 40th on BP's Pitcher Abuse Point system, nothing alarming there either.
captoats85
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby threelions » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:13 pm

3-week absence is ok, my playoff starts in 3 weeks.
just hope phllies hang in there so they won't shut him down completely.
12-team h2h 5X5 non-keeper
J.Montero,Pujols,Craig,Plouffe,Middlebrooks,TROUT,Gordon,Ethier,Butler
KingFelix,Cain,Price,McCarthy,Lewis,Hansen
Myers,Nathan,Casilla,Romo
threelions
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)

Postby captoats85 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:21 pm

"The Phillies are in the playoff chase, but without Cole Hamels, their task gets a lot tougher. He'll have an MRI to see how damaged his elbow is, but many of the reports are using some semantic games to minimize the injury, making many wonder if it's worse than what is currently being reported. Naturally, many of the whispers have turned to the possibility of Tommy John surgery. It doesn't appear that Hamels is at that stage, though there's already been some discussion internally on whether he'll need scoping to get a look at that ligament."

http://baseballprospectus.com/article.p ... cleid=6620
captoats85
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby wildbill » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:12 pm

captoats85 wrote:How exactly has Hamels been run into the ground? He's averaging a very reasonable 101 P/GS and his season high is 118, back in May. I don't see how he has been run into the ground. Hamels is 40th on BP's Pitcher Abuse Point system, nothing alarming there either.
Perspective! That's what you need. In the 2004 and 2005 seasons Hamels threw a combined grand total of 51 innings. Last year he took a huge leap to 180+ IP, this year he was on pace for 200+ and is only 23 years old. That's an incredible amount of innings (nearly 350 so far on the way to 380+) for a young pitcher over the last 2 years compared to 51 IP for the prior 2 years. The point is, with his injury history, you can't judge/treat him like the average ML pitcher at such a young age or you're asking for trouble. But Dopey Manuel didn't care, or more likely he probably didn't know any better. He already put Myers on the DL for a few months (completely Dopey's fault), now it's looking like he can add Hamels to his belt.
wildbill
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby chiswede » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:13 pm

He just got DL'd. Man the Phillies (and my team) have bad luck.
10 Team Yahoo Private League Record
2003-1st
2004-1st
2005-2nd
2006-1st
2007-1st
2008-1st
2009-8th
2010-2nd
2011-10th
chiswede
College Coach
College Coach

Postby nyrblue2 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:15 pm

Hamels was officially placed on the 15-day DL.

Lefthander Cole Hamels was placed on the 15-day disabled list with a mild left elbow strain and outfielder Shane Victorino was activated from the DL, the Phillies announced today.
Hamels, who was scheduled to start tonight's game against the Dodgers at Citizens Bank Park, underwent an MRI earlier today which showed no structural or ligament damage. His DL stint is backdated to August 17, making him eligible to return on September 1.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/press_releases/ ... p&c_id=phi
nyrblue2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates