Poor Polanco has the flu - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Poor Polanco has the flu

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Poor Polanco has the flu

Postby rowe33 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:52 pm

I hope Polanco's ovaries have sufficiently recovered after his *entire week* off from the flu. Or maybe he should take this week off also, just to make sure he's feeling better.
rowe33
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Poor Polanco has the flu

Postby schmidty » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:19 pm

Yeah, it is a long time off, isn't it. My job would give me a hard time if I tried to take more than a day or two off for the flu :-D Does anyone in DET know anything else ... is it a "near hospitalization due to dehydration" kind-of flu, or the typical "sneezy, drippy, coughy, fevery" we've all had at some point?

I have Polanco on my team and no back-up 2B and essentially punted 2B last week (luckily I didn't need it). Every day it sounded like he could be back the next.
schmidty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:24 pm

He doesn't normally strike me as a wuss, seems like he typically plays through pain and the Tigers need him right now pretty badly, so it must've been a hell of a flu. Easy to be skeptical, but sometimes even the flu can do a number on you.
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Postby rowe33 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:04 pm

BillyHallDisciple wrote:He doesn't normally strike me as a wuss, seems like he typically plays through pain and the Tigers need him right now pretty badly, so it must've been a hell of a flu. Easy to be skeptical, but sometimes even the flu can do a number on you.

You must be thinking of a different Polanco as far as playing through pain. Pudge Rodriguez had the same flu and missed only 1 game despite playing a much tougher position. Maybe it just blindsided him but I still haven't heard of a pro baseball player missing an entire week for the flu before. So far this year:

The Flu = 6 games (so far!)
Sore thumb = 1 game
Strained lat = 4 games (yet somehow was ok to play in the All Star game)
Oblique strain = 2 games
Back stiffness = 1 game
Sore back = 1 game (he did manage to pinch hit once)

I'm just a bit frustrated because I lost an entire week of stats from the bum. Didn't help that I also have Chris B(astard) Young who enjoyed an outstanding 1 for 23 week IN my lineup but exploded for 5 home runs in 5 days when he grabbed pine for me last week.
rowe33
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby trollydodger » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:01 pm

rowe33 wrote:
BillyHallDisciple wrote:He doesn't normally strike me as a wuss, seems like he typically plays through pain and the Tigers need him right now pretty badly, so it must've been a hell of a flu. Easy to be skeptical, but sometimes even the flu can do a number on you.

You must be thinking of a different Polanco as far as playing through pain. Pudge Rodriguez had the same flu and missed only 1 game despite playing a much tougher position. Maybe it just blindsided him but I still haven't heard of a pro baseball player missing an entire week for the flu before. So far this year:

Sore thumb = 1 game
Oblique strain = 2 games
Back stiffness = 1 game

I'm just a bit frustrated because I lost an entire week of stats from the bum. Didn't help that I also have Chris B(astard) Young who enjoyed an outstanding 1 for 23 week IN my lineup but exploded for 5 home runs in 5 days when he grabbed pine for me last week.

Impressive list of injuries ... you sure know your Polanco history!

To me, Polanco IS a wuss and pretty much has always been unable to play through nagging injuries (or in this case, flu). He has only exceeded 126 games in a season once in his career. His high in G is 144. I would expect him to miss a bunch more games before the season's over since he doesn't seem to want to participate unless he's at 100% health.
trollydodger
T-Ball Trainer

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:19 pm

I stand corrected, I guess he is a wuss after all. :-X
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:05 am

trollydodger wrote:
rowe33 wrote:

Sore thumb = 1 game
Oblique strain = 2 games
Back stiffness = 1 game

Impressive list of injuries ... you sure know your Polanco history!

To me, Polanco IS a wuss and pretty much has always been unable to play through nagging injuries (or in this case, flu). He has only exceeded 126 games in a season once in his career. His high in G is 144. I would expect him to miss a bunch more games before the season's over since he doesn't seem to want to participate unless he's at 100% health.

or it could be that the Tigers dont want to risk losing his bat for an extended period of time by pushing him when he has a stiff back or sore whatever :-? ...if the guy is sick, he's sick...not everyone has the same immune system...i'm sure he wants to be out there but if he feels he cant go, what can you do
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Return to Injuries & Player Updates