Peavy: "I'm not optimistic about staying here..." - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Peavy: "I'm not optimistic about staying here..."

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Peavy: "I'm not optimistic about staying here..."

Postby The Big Train » Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:27 am

Meh, unlike Santana the decision is still a couple of years away, but assuming his arm doesn't fall off in the meantime....

By Bill Center
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

August 19, 2007

Jake Peavy doesn't expect to be with the Padres past the 2009 season and wouldn't be surprised if he were traded away before his present contract expires.

“I'm not optimistic about staying here as much as I'd like to remain a Padre,” Peavy said yesterday before Houston defeated his teammates 3-2 before 44,272, the seventh-largest crowd in Petco Park history.

The loss dropped the Padres five games behind Arizona in the National League West – the farthest the Padres have been out of first in the division since April 30 of last year.

Peavy was speaking of his future a day after Carlos Zambrano signed a five-year extension with the Chicago Cubs for $91.5 million.

“I hope it's not the case, but I think it's inevitable that I'll wind up somewhere else,” said Peavy. “I am not looking to break the bank. I'm not saying I want a huge payday. I'm going to ask for what's fair. And although I hope it happens here, I just don't see the Padres spending that much on a player.

“And if they're not thinking in that direction, they might decide to trade me before it comes to the point of free agency.

“It's not in my hands, as much as I wish it was. And when you look at (Padres CEO) Sandy (Alderson's) stance on long-term contracts, well, he's not been keen on them.”

Peavy's career numbers are almost parallel to those of Zambrano, who has an option for 2013 that would raise the total to $110.75 million – or a record $18.3 million average for a pitcher.

Both pitchers are 26. Both are two-time All-Stars.

Zambrano is 14-9 this season with a 3.86 ERA. His career record is 78-51.

Peavy is 13-5 this season with a 2.19 ERA. His career record is 70-50.

Peavy ranks second in the National League in ERA to teammate Chris Young (1.93) and leads the league in strikeouts (175). Zambrano is not ranked among the ERA leaders and is fifth in strikeouts (139). Opponents are hitting .213 against Peavy and .231 against Zambrano.

Peavy's present contract was negotiated in February 2005 after the pitcher switched agents from Scott Boras to Barry Axelrod.

The right-hander's four-year deal was worth a guaranteed $15 million and valued at up to $26 million if the Padres picked up his option for 2009 (Peavy's first possible year of free agency) and Peavy claimed all his possible incentives.

Peavy is making $4.5 million this season and will make $6 million in 2008 plus a $500,000 performance bonus if he averages 200 innings a season over the 2005-2007 seasons. The club holds an $8 million option for Peavy in 2009, although the amount could go as high as $11.5 million if he wins the Cy Young Award in either 2007 or 2008 and averages 200 innings over a four-season span.

Were the club to refuse to pick up Peavy's option, they would owe him a $500,000 buyout.

But it's not just Zambrano's contract that raises questions about Peavy's value.

Within the past year, Houston's Roy Oswalt, who left last night's game after 4 2/3 innings with a strained left oblique muscle, signed a five-year contract for $73 million and Mark Buerhle signed a four-year extension with the White Sox worth $56 million – not to mention Barry Zito's $126 million, eight-year deal with the Giants.

“All I've heard from friends today are questions about Zambrano,” said Peavy. “Obviously with the Padres' track record, they're not going there, nor would I expect them to.

“I've got to say, the Padres have helped set me up better than I could have ever dreamed. They have given my family security. And I'm proud to be a Padre.

“I love it that I'm climbing up some charts here and closing in on the strikeout record (he is 11 shy of Andy Benes' 1,036). I'd like to be the all-time win leader here.

“What I'd most like is to take those results and have them be a part of winning a championship. I'm more concerned about the team making a conscious effort to win a world championship.

“At times, I don't know if they've gone out on a limb to make it happen. I believe the big philosophy is right. But the first question I'd ask is, 'Can you give me your word that we're going to make an effort to win the World Series?'

“Honestly, they've done a phenomenal job with what they've spent. But we're being asked at a $58 million payroll to compete against the Dodgers and Giants . . . and we're doing it.

“But if we had made a little bit more of a financial commitment to winning, I think we could have already won a World Series.”

The Padres rank 24th among the 30 major league teams in player payroll this season.

Kevin Towers did not return a phone call on this matter.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/pa ... adres.html
Image + Image = 762

"Trying to hit him was like trying to drink coffee with a fork." - Willie Stargell on Sandy Koufax
The Big Train
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Peavy: "I'm not optimistic about staying here..."

Postby raiders_umpire » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:25 pm

I would think the Padres would do everything possible to keep Peavy when that time comes up in a few years. He is pretty much the face of that team right now, so I don't think Towers lets him walk unless Peavy wants to go down south closer to home.

But if not Tampa is pretty close to Alabama. :-B :-)
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby acsguitar » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:49 pm

Colorado !! ;-D
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Pablo975 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:24 pm

I think Jake ends up in Atlanta once SD can't round up the scratch to keep him. Course, that's just my opinion. I'd rather see him a Cub. ;-D

"Ya'll are brutalizing me!" - Ronwell Dobbs
Pablo975
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby skapur20 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:06 pm

i jus hope he goes to a team that can actually SCORE some runs for him..
ummm lets go angels? :)
skapur20
College Coach
College Coach

Postby masterpinky0509 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:59 pm

I think Jake shouldn't be so pessimistic. The fact is that teams are better able to keep players now that revenue sharing and TV money is going through the roof. Baseball is more popular/profitable now than it has been in the past 2 decades, and that money is going to go to the players (partially, at least).

That being said, some players/teams are simply mismatched. For instance, Johan Santana and the Twins...I mean, bottom 1/4 payroll/revenue team owning the best pitcher in baseball over the past 3 years. That kind of situation just isn't sustainable, Santana will likely sign elsewhere for the $20M+ AAV that he deserves.

But after '09, why shouldn't Peavy get a Zambrano-type deal from the Padres? They have to appreciate the fact that ace starters are harder to come by than anything these days. As long as Peavy doesn't win multiple Cy's and price himself completely out of their market, they could very well bring him back.
masterpinky0509
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Sid Bream's Slide » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:47 pm

Pablo975 wrote:I think Jake ends up in Atlanta once SD can't round up the scratch to keep him. Course, that's just my opinion. I'd rather see him a Cub. ;-D

Not unless we get some new ownership. :-S
Sid Bream's Slide
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Matchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby BravesGuy » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:12 pm

Sid Bream's Slide wrote:
Pablo975 wrote:I think Jake ends up in Atlanta once SD can't round up the scratch to keep him. Course, that's just my opinion. I'd rather see him a Cub. ;-D

Not unless we get some new ownership. :-S

I'm fine with our current owners. I doubt we get Peavy, but that would be freakin awesome. Just hope he doesn't go to one of the New York teams.

Give this article a read Sid Bream's Slide.
http://www.realgmbaseball.com/src_wiret ... e_red_sox/
Talk among some baseball executives the past week was that the Braves’ new owner, John Malone of Liberty Media, has told his new employees to spend money to improve the chances of making the playoffs. Liberty Media, it was said, wants to be a big player — like the Red Sox.
Life is like riding an elevator. It has a lot of ups and downs and someone is always pushing your buttons.

ΠKΦ
BravesGuy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 73)

Postby Yoda » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:23 pm

I heard the Yanks are interested.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Humdinger » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:44 pm

Yoda wrote:I heard the Yanks are interested.

when are the Yanks not interested?

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=264937&highlight=
Humdinger
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers