Borowski's job security? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Borowski's job security?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Borowski's job security?

Postby BJSFAN123 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:21 pm

When is this bum gonna be replaced by someone else so I can get rid of him? How long is Cleveland gonna let him blow games?
BJSFAN123
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Borowski's job security?

Postby cymbaline » Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:17 pm

I think everybody would like to see Betancourt get the ball over Blownsaveski, but I don't see it happening given the foolishness of Indians management.

The tribe would be better off without Borowski, but he is like Wickman or Jones. They give it up a lot but still have relatively high numbers of SV. There's also the theory that sucky closers aren't much good in other roles like 7th or 8th inning set up. Guys like Borowski don't have great strike out numbers and therefore cannot bail another pitcher out of a jam with the big whiff. Such relievers are generally only useful when starting the inning out and nobody on base. In Borowski's case, he's really only useful when given a 3 run lead so he can give up 2 and still convert the SV (j/k).

Most teams and manager don't look at blown saves (or save percentage) but total SV. It's still the dark ages when it comes to statistical analysis on closers for many franchises, including the Tribe with Borowski and his 5.44 ERA + 1.42 WHIP. The Indians management probably only sees that he has 34 SV, which is good enough for 4th in the majors. Sad, but true.
cymbaline
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby BJSFAN123 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:38 pm

His numbers are even worse when he is put in during a non save opp...he is just horrible all around.
BJSFAN123
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Owunyne » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:00 pm

cleveland should not put him in in non save opps. he obviously hasnt gotten a W in a long time and cant pitch out of any jam he gets into. remember, this is a team that was hoping kieth foulk would be their closer, so dont hold your breath hoping he'll be replaced
Owunyne
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Secret Avatar » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:33 pm

MLB teams play for wins. They don't care about fantasy stats like ERA, WHIP, or K for their closers. As bad as JoBo's ERA and WHIP are, he's got 34 saves against only five blown. Obviously, if the blown saves pile up, they'll make a move but I suspect they'll have to get up near 10 for them to take him out of the closer role.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby fantasysportsguy1210 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:35 pm

Most teams and manager don't look at blown saves (or save percentage) but total SV. It's still the dark ages when it comes to statistical analysis on closers for many franchises, including the Tribe with Borowski and his 5.44 ERA + 1.42 WHIP. The Indians management probably only sees that he has 34 SV, which is good enough for 4th in the majors. Sad, but true.

This statement could not be more false. I guarantee you that the Indians management is well aware of how many saves he's blown and how many baserunners he's been allowing. The staffs on these baseball teams are statistical gurus. They know far more stats on guys than we can possibly keep up with. I guarantee you they are not just thinking, "hey, that guy put in the pen has 34 saves, he's having a penomenal year!" Eric Wedge is well aware of the 9th inning heartburn that he gets. The truth of the matter is, they signed him in the offseason to be the closer, he's a veteran, and they obviously feel he's a better option than Betancourt or they never would have signed him. Borowski has not been good, but what happens if you insert Betancourt at this point in the season and he does rise to the challenge? Now you have lost a dominant setup guy and you've killed the confidence of your closer. It's a mess, but you could potentially make it worse by inserting Betancourt and the INDIANS ARE IN FIRST PLACE.
fantasysportsguy1210
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Injuries & Player Updates