SP-Sabathia/ClLee/Wainwright/Pineda/Hellickson/JSantana
RP-Putz/Santiago/Rodney/Lidge/Clippard
Whisp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Joe Mauer

Postby BronxBomber2007 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:05 am

I have Mauer and feel the same way.....I was debating between taking him or Victor Martinez with my 4th round pick....I obviously made the wrong choice. I could have waited and let someone else take him and picked up Russell Martin or Jorge Posada in the 7 to 10th round range. Mauer is one of the most overrated players in the league in terms of fantasy. He wont hurt you at all but is really just an average fantasy player....he is a slightly better version of what Jason Kendall was about 3 to 5 years ago.....good batting average and some stolen bases but very limited in the power categories.
BronxBomber2007
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby sandman042 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:37 am

same w/ me it was betwen martinez and mauer and i choose mauer. next yr though it will prob go martin,martinez then maybe posada then mauer. mauer is def comparable to kendell but mauer's power will come IMO.Mauer's value def fell alot and he has shown almost no power this yr.. he is a big kid and should be able to hit 20 homers. im predicting a .300 15-20 homer yr next yr for mauer.
sandman042
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby StringerBell » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:07 pm

In Mauer`s defense:
among MLB Catchers he`s

2nd in SBs
3rd in AVG
4th in Runs
6th in RBI

All this while losing roughly 80-100 ABs due to injury. He`s still in the top 5 to put in the Catcher slot.
.....ain't nobody got nothing to say about a 40-degree day. ...
StringerBell
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BronxBomber2007 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:26 pm

I agree he is still a top 5 catcher.....but in most drafts....he was taken as the number 1 catcher overall and within the top 50 picks. 7 Stolen Bases and 50 Rbis with a .300 Ba to date just dont justify where he was taken in most drafts. His 5 Hrs rank him in a 6 way tie for 27th among all catchers.....his numbers other than the stolen bases (which 7 Sbs wont make or break your season) mirror him pretty much with Jason Varitek who was drafted late in drafts or was available on some waiver wires. I think he will have better numbers next year and will be a buy low on draft day...but Victor Martinez, Russell Martin and Jorge Posada have surpassed him in the catcher category.
BronxBomber2007
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby StringerBell » Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:32 pm

BronxBomber2007 wrote:I agree he is still a top 5 catcher.....but in most drafts....he was taken as the number 1 catcher overall and within the top 50 picks. 7 Stolen Bases and 50 Rbis with a .300 Ba to date just dont justify where he was taken in most drafts. His 5 Hrs rank him in a 6 way tie for 27th among all catchers.....his numbers other than the stolen bases (which 7 Sbs wont make or break your season) mirror him pretty much with Jason Varitek who was drafted late in drafts or was available on some waiver wires. I think he will have better numbers next year and will be a buy low on draft day...but Victor Martinez, Russell Martin and Jorge Posada have surpassed him in the catcher category.

yeah---thats true. Ours is a keeper league where each player has a salary and contract. So if you didnt way over-bid on Mauer you are still reaping rewards in one of the weak catcher slots.
.....ain't nobody got nothing to say about a 40-degree day. ...
StringerBell
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Whisp » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:55 am

joe mauer strained hamstring...
C-MMontero/Iannetta 1B-Hosmer 2B-Kendrick 3B-MiCabrera/Rolen SS-Rollins
CI-IDavis MI-RRoberts OF-Bruce/Crisp/Hunter/Cain/Rios
SP-Sabathia/ClLee/Wainwright/Pineda/Hellickson/JSantana
RP-Putz/Santiago/Rodney/Lidge/Clippard
Whisp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ceLpH » Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:24 am

yup

and there was a report about how he was dealing with a sore ankle earlier this week....
http://cashcrate.com/408420

^easy money by filling out referrals and surveys
ceLpH
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby sandman042 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:10 am

according to rotoworld [url]http://www.rotoworld.com/content/HeadLi ... &hl=221445[/url]

It was a strained left hamstring, not his preexisting ankle condition, that caused Joe Mauer to leave Saturday's game.

That's a whole lot worse. It didn't seem to be a severe strain, but his status for next week is in question now. Expect an update on Sunday. Mike Redmond was already set to start in his place tomorrow

hopefully its ok but
i hate to say this but mauer is starting to develop as an injury prone player. he has got injured for a significant amount of time last 3 yrs.
sandman042
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby .JagMan. » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:18 am

Although I have been greatly disapointed in him this year, I do hope he is fine and doesnt have to go on the DL, because now I have to go out and add Bengie Molina, who has been playing well recently
.JagMan.
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates