Return to Baseball Leftovers

Dewon Brazleton the next Roy Halladay?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Dewon Brazleton the next Roy Halladay?

Postby nsulham » Wed Feb 11, 2004 6:47 pm

Before you blast me with something like "Halladay is a Cy Young and Brazelton is a nobody", hear me out. There are a few interesting parallels here.

If you remember a few years back Halladay was getting BOMBED in the majors. He went all the way back to low A I think it was and worked on his mechanics. He always had the stuff, he just didn't know how to use it. Now he's Cy Young.

Fast forward to Brazleton who also recently went down to low A I think and worked on his mechanics and also added a pitch I believe. By all accounts Brazleton has electric stuff.

Am I saying Brazelton will magically transform into a stud pitcher? Not exactly. But remember, it worked for Halladay and so much of pitching is confidence. Roy didn't have it then but he does now and look at him. Maybe that's all Brazleton needed.

Halladay also wasn't surrounded by a great cast in Toronto when he started to turn it around. Tampa by comparison isn't exactly a powerhouse either.

Just some food for thought when you make a list of your sleepers.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -38)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bsblallstr » Wed Feb 11, 2004 6:51 pm

i think that brazelton could be stud, he has a lot of young guys around him, and if he could ever harness his talent than i think that in a year or 2 he could win 15+ games, the sox and yanks will lose players over that time, granted they will get more too, but i think he could easily win 15+ if he learns what to do with his talent.

good post nsulham
Reyes and guerrero, the two most blessed players in the league, not to mention the most fun to watch
bsblallstr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)

Postby SoxFanPJ » Wed Feb 11, 2004 6:55 pm

Interesting food for thought.....

the reports I was reading about Brazelton's pitching this winter was that he was doing really well.

Of course pitching in the AL East could destroy a young starters confidence.
SoxFanPJ
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby nsulham » Wed Feb 11, 2004 7:04 pm

Just found this stuff.

The year before he was sent down to A, Halladay was 4-7 with a sparkling 10.64 ERA.

This past season, Brazelton went 1-6 with a 6.89 ERA.

Halladay came out of that smelling like a rose; guess we'll see what Brazelton does.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -38)

Postby Arlo » Wed Feb 11, 2004 7:05 pm

Interesting comparison. cwebb recently noted several similarities to Esteban Loaiza, but the points about Halladay ring true as well. Not bad company...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -1472)

Postby gagnerules » Wed Feb 11, 2004 7:23 pm

It remains to be seen if Brazelton will be the next Halladay but I would not bet against it. I heard about him working on his mechanics. Also we should not forget he was the 3rd overall pick behind Mauer and Prior, not bad company there either.
gagnerules
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby LBJackal » Wed Feb 11, 2004 7:34 pm

I think the Cafe had him as their Sleeper of the Week if I'm not mistaken. Maybe it was another site though. And speaking of similarities, how about the similarities between Gagne and Nathan?

Nathan was well below a K per inning as a starter; so was Gagne

He had a high 4's ERA as a starter; so did Gagne

He increased his K's to more than 1 per inning in his first year as a reliever; so did Gagne

He lowered his WHIP by about 50 points in his first year as a reliever; so did Gagne

We all know what Gagne has done since he was given the closer role, now it's time to see what Nathan can do. He won't be the next Gagne, and IMO nobody will, but I would seriously consider Nathan as a sleeper for being a top notch closer this year. Of course he won't be drafted that way, which is why he is a big steal. I'd rank him in the top 10 of closers for this season, with the possibility to sneak up to #6 behind Gagne, Wagner, Smoltz, Foulke, and Rivera.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -178)

Postby eli81k » Wed Feb 11, 2004 7:42 pm

I think Nathan could notch 30+ saves easily as well. However, I'd keep my eye on JC Romero and Jesse Crain. Both are longshots (Crain will probably be in the bigs full time in 2005) but may come out of spring training with the job.
eli81k
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -3)

Postby Purple Haze » Wed Feb 11, 2004 8:52 pm

I hope Brazelton is the next Halladay... :-D I drafted him last in my keeper league ;-D

Great post! B-)
Purple Haze
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -23)

Return to Baseball Leftovers